Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I have come across this utility for Windows recently. It lets me have read-only access to HFS+ formatted hard-disks and dmg files from Windows. It is open-source and free. If you need this functionality without paying $50 for MacDrive, I think it is a good option. It used have some issues seeing some of the files, but the new version seems to have fixed them.

http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/index2.html

This lets me use HFS+ for my backups, as I can access my photos or music from Windows if I need to. Of course, it is not as fast as it would be if I was using FAT32, but FAT32 has other limitations.

BTW, I am not affiliated with the developer in any way, but he seems to be quite responsive if you have any questions.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Read only access is enough for me! I'm stuck using a Windows lappy until new Macs come out. I want to see my HFS+ external drives' content badly!

theBB

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Read only access is enough for me! I'm stuck using a Windows lappy until new Macs come out. I want to see my HFS+ external drives' content badly!
Oh, then you'll really like it. :)

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
hey im having trouble getting this thing to see an external USB drive formatted in HFS+.... it wont autodetect and i dont know how to correctly type the address of the drive either.

i used WinObj to find where the drive is, or at least i think thats what i found, but no cigar.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Thank you very much for the tip!
I was looking for something like that...I almost threw out 30€ for macdrive but instead I'll use this piece of software. All I need is read access anyways.
Thanks alot!

byakuya

Malyan

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
HFS Explorer issues

I have had big problems with using this software, both on bootcamp XP + now windows 7
I get an error message saying a .dll was not found, try reinstalling the software. no such luck upon reinstall. Thought it might have been XP but i get the same on windows 7.
The GUI loads up, but it cant detect any HFS volumes. Annoying much!
Help??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.