Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is hosting iPhone Tech Talks for web developers interested in optimizing their Web 2.0 applications for the Apple iPhone.
Bring your notebook, your code, and your iPhone

After a morning of in-depth presentations and demonstrations, you'll work with the experts to design, code, debug and test your solutions on iPhone. Access to your code is required.
The day-long event is free for ADC members and is presently scheduled for the following cities and dates:

• Los Angeles, CA 08/02
• San Francisco, CA 08/24
• Chicago, IL 08/28
• New York, NY 08/30
• New York, NY 08/31

Article Link

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Will this is too bad, it seems they are really stuck on this web 2.0 stuff. I was hoping we would see apps sold via the itunes store.

Typical Apple, instead of thinking different, I just wish they would release the SDK already.

With that said, I love my iPhone though...:p

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Will this is too bad, it seems they are really stuck on this web 2.0 stuff. I was hoping we would see apps sold via the itunes store.

Typical Apple, instead of thinking different, I just wish they would release the SDK already
You know, while I wish they would release an SDK as much as you, I think that would be "not thinking diffferent." this whole web 2.0 business is thinking different.

I do think that if they want to keep forcing other developers to make web 2.0 apps, they darn well better expand their own app suite with some cool stuff.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
You know, while I wish they would release an SDK as much as you, I think that would be "not thinking diffferent." this whole web 2.0 business is thinking different.

I do think that if they want to keep forcing other developers to make web 2.0 apps, they darn well better expand their own app suite with some cool stuff.

I was thinking the same thing, then saw that you'd posted it.

My principle problem with the web apps solution is not that it is slower, or only accessible via internet, but that there is simply NO WAY to do a lot of REALLY GREAT things that the iPhone COULD DO, with web apps. If that weren't bad enough Safari for iPhone is HORRIBLY CRIPPLED, making even normal web browser functions useless (e.g. fixed images, a way to set focus to an element, etc.).

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I was thinking the same thing, then saw that you'd posted it.

My principle problem with the web apps solution is not that it is slower, or only accessible via internet, but that there is simply NO WAY to do a lot of REALLY GREAT things that the iPhone COULD DO, with web apps. If that weren't bad enough Safari for iPhone is HORRIBLY CRIPPLED, making even normal web browser functions useless (e.g. fixed images, a way to set focus to an element, etc.).
well, not horribly crippled--but certainly not as capable as Safari on the Mac...

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
I do think that if they want to keep forcing other developers to make web 2.0 apps, they darn well better expand their own app suite with some cool stuff.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Hopefully we will see some of this in an update soon. I was really thinking they would lead by example with a couple of cool apps, but they haven't. :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
screw web 2.0... i want real apps. If they don't want developers to do it then apple better get started writing some code

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
screw web 2.0... i want real apps. If they don't want developers to do it then apple better get started writing some code

That right there is why Web 2.0 only-apps (i.e. Google Docs & Spreadsheets) haven't replaced desktop apps. Customers want the quality that desktop-style apps give them. That's why Apple should think differently in the right way and allow devs to write specifically for the iPhone.

brooker

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
PacNW
gah! I'll be in LA the weekend before that. i'd love to hear what they have to say, tho. Seriously, they better reveal some darn cool tricks.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I am gonna continue to have faith that a real SDK will come out of Apple, perhaps during Leopard, or iPhone v1.1 or something. Apple isn't 100% behind the Web2.0 stuff (because there's no interface guideline or template from them, so we have all this garbage out there) and released it so we'd have SOMETHING to do while they figure out how to keep iPhone from crashing even with their own apps. And, as a previous poster said, you have to be on the net to use most of them (or, that data:// trick from an earlier blog post here).

With an actual SDK, we could replace that horrible "iPod" with something resembling the actual iPod. We could access the wifi and do a iStumbler app. We could write a better Mail client, because iPhone v1.0's Mail sucks balls. The Phone app is pretty perfect, though.

I just think Apple put all their code monkeys on making iPhone v1.0 usable and stable(ish), and even then it's mildly buggy. It's not only possible, but likely, that the APIs they're using to control the phone aren't all the way developed yet, and there probably isn't any set of common libraries (based on the fact that Notes, Weather, and Bookmarks are all completely different manifestations of a "list", implying there isn't a NSTableView yet. Perhaps they're all working towards a SDK for us as we complain.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
That's very nice that Apple is going to teach people how to make more apps that are useless when you don't have a good GSM connection, but how about real applications like every other PDA-type phone has?

Here they bring this beautiful device to market with a great user interface and a big-time operating system, and all the developers with great ideas and proven track records (DataViz, Chapura, Iambic, Resco, etc.) are left sitting on their hands.

Having limited functionality on the original iPod never bothered me, because that type of device was new to me. But to introduce a device in a market where people are used to having a certain level of versatility and expandability... and lock it down like a child's toy... that's frustrating. I love the device, but web-based apps will not meet my needs.

Come on, Apple... make this product as useful a "smartphone" for me as my MacBook Pro is as a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.