Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
sorry if im being paranoid here but after an hour and a half of light usage and three and a half hours stand by my battery drop to 90%. Should i just exchange it? I just dont want one with more problems

Npalettas

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2007
Saleen, my usage before replacement:

I've always thought my battery was weak, and today i ran my own testing. After a full wall charge, my iPhone had a 17 hour standby time and four and half hours of usage. My bluetooth is off and my screen brightness is about halfway. So im just curious, am i paranoid or should my battery stats be better if not much better? Thanks!

polyun

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
Let's all try to be accurate and honest in our usage reports folks. I'll try to detail what my actual usage is like:

As with my replacements, and the current iPhone I have (#3) I've been using the internet (edge) for a couple of hours (~2) and emailing, texting, ipodding (~1hr) and I've been roughly getting a little over 4 hours with about 15-17 hours standby. The wifi is usually turned off unless I use it at home. I'm getting the same amount of usage time on all three phones leading me to believe this is about average and that people who post longer hours are simply not using it as intensely as I am doing so.

For the five hour stretches I have been using it in the mornings (with the abovementioned tasks), the battery seems to run down about halfway by the afternoon. The usage reflects about 2 hours. By the evening after a couple more hours of sporadic use I usually get the 10% warning by the evening when I plug it back in to recharge.

I'm coming to think that this is normal, based on the three phones I've used and the threads I've read here and elsewhere. Those who report much longer periods of time are probably not accurately reporting their usage. Try using the internet browser for two hours straight on edge and see if the battery doesn't go down by about 25-30%.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I have read as im sure u have that it takes a couple charges to fully see the real potential. You say u have had 3 phones now ,what's the longest you've kept one? I have a little longer to go on my exchange date so i'm going to give another day or 2 and see if i see a change in stats before i do an exchange. Just food for thought.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
Update:

After 4th full charge stats at 5% battery life left:

6hr. 1min. usage 13hr. 53min. stand by

normal? still bad?

After my third charge down to about 10% I was at:

4hr. 4min. usage 16hr. 16min. stand by

So I do think it is getting better. I'm going to give it a few more days, I don't think I'm going to run it down all the way over the next few days I'll charge it when I can for a day or two then run it down and see where its at.

Usage was pretty much the same maybe a little less web browsing but more talking and ipod use. Internet on both times was roughly 2+ hours with the majority of it being wifi.

jamoses66

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
Here is my question to all of those with usage times around 4hrs: Is your LCD of the 5 series or the 7 series variety? I ask this because I have now had 3 different iphones, where the first 2 were replaced for hardware defects (no sound out of external speaker, and dead pixel on #2) but both of those got amazing battery life (7+hrs of usage) AND were of the 5 series LCD batch.

However on the phone I currently have it has a 7 series LCD and it only gets around 4 hrs or so of mixed internet/phone use before hitting 10%.

So if those with battery problems could do the following procedure to find out if their LCD is series 5 or 7 and report back I think we might be able to potentially narrow this thing down.

1) Bring up your iPhone Dialpad
2) type *3001#12345#*
3) Press CALL
4) press Versions at the bottom of the list
5) Now your LCD Panel ID should be in that list under firmware version
6) Write down whether the number begins with a 5 or a 7 as that is the series designation of the LCD
7) Post your LCD series and latest battery times on this thread

maybe this will yield some useful stats, maybe not.

-Jordan

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I have a 7 series phone. From a full charge to the 20% point:

8 hours usage
2 days, 16 hours standby

sum total... 3 days

morg0052

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
MrJnC, just wanted to know what you used in those eight hours, how much internet, phone, ipod use got those numbers? Thanks

morg0052

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Just wanted to let everyone know, I just finished doing a test to see what kind of usage I could get if I let the ipod just play music all day and night and see when it died. I ended up with 19 hours and 35 minutes usage and 20 hours and 40 minutes standby, that was with continuous ipod use, about 6 2 minute phone conversations and about 15 text messages, and I was feeling like my battery life was a little bad before when I would talk a lot and use interenet, but I think that is pretty good battery life, for others how does this seem? I know apple got 24 but that was not using the phone at all and probably one long playlist, I had to keep turning it on to keep he music playing. Anyone else done something like this? With these numbers can i give up worrying about battery life?

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I have a version 5 lcd phone

My battery life is good, getting 6+ hours a day of usage, with heavy wifi internet. When i plug it in at night, the battery is at 40-50%.

HOWEVER, when i wake up, i do get the plug, but not the full big battery in the middle. i charge using the wall charger.

I have noticed, 2 times, where i get a full charge with the wall, (plug, but big battery is at 90%..not full). I plug it into the computer, and cycle power (on/off), i get full big battery and plug.

that doesn't happen all the time.

So it looks like i have the software bug, but it doesn't seem to be affecting my battery life, since.. it is working fine for what i use it for. I guess it "could" be bettery, but really have no point of reference.

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
MrJnC, just wanted to know what you used in those eight hours, how much internet, phone, ipod use got those numbers? Thanks

Just a vague estimate...
ipod + video - 2.5 hrs.
phone - 0.5 hrs (I was on a BT link for about an hour but no calls on BT)
internet - 5 hrs? (easier for me to remember phone/ipod usage times and subtract it from the total)

I have mail set to check every hour. WiFi is on, but join available WiFi is not enabled. BT is normally off. 50% brightness setting, auto-brightness enabled. Auto lock set to 1 minute. No syncs were performed during the "test".

Keep in mind that it's taken nearly a month of ownership to get to these numbers. Battery life didn't perform like this out of the box, but it has been steadily improving.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
7 series, great performance

i have a 7 series

i have not noticed any problems whatsoever.

i also get incredible battery life compared to what i have heard. mine will last 2 full days with ipod use for 4 or more hours at least each day, and safari surfing for about an hour each day and talk time of about 20 minutes each day. at the end of 2 days i have about 20 percent remaining at which point i charge it

i do not have the checkerboard or white dots crap

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Ok, admittedly I didn't read through all 7 pages of this thread, so someone may have already got to this, but after the first 2 or 3 I saw people saying I only have 2 hours of usage and 20 hours stand by, etc. Others saying they have blank usage and standby. Usage seems to refer to something like how much you actually used the phone since the last charge and standby as the amount of time its been "sleeping" without your using it or completely turning it off. If you notice after a charge it goes blank. :eek:

Giies

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
ok, after reading all your posts, now i'm trying to test my battery life. i had it fully charged yesterday, and haven't sync nor plug it in, now my usage is 4hrs, 41 mins, and standby is 1 day and 1hr, and the battery icon show that it less than half way. i read some of you guys said that it's 80%, 40% or whatever %, is that just an estimation or does it show anywhere on the phone? because i can't find it anywhere. BTW, my usage is mostly music, mail, and web searching with Wifi on (just turn it off actually lol i didn't know you weren't suppose to have it on)

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
OK. I have a 7* iPhone with a horrible battery life. You be the judge.

With a full charge, the battery died in 11 hours.

- 20 emails sent/received
- wifi off
- BT off
- 15 Min. call
- 50% brightness
- 6 Min. iPod usage (music only; shuffled songs)

Is this normal? It says I have 11 hrs 21 min for standby, and 4 hrs 20 min for usage.

dominatrix

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
i was gonna try to read all the posts, but its too much..

I would like some responses about my battery life , that in my opinion is SUX !!

I've been using a lot my iphone to check emails and internet and the battery is dying very fast.
Today i fully charged my iphone , and now at the end of the day since i unplugged from the power cord:

USAGE: 3:10 mins
STAND BY: 7:15 mins

Current period ( call time ) : 4 hours.

and my battey is almost dead.. just have one bar.

is that normal ?

i just talked a lot on my phone almost 4 hours, and checked email 2 or 3 times and went to some websites. I just cant see 8 hours of talk time , no way thats possible.

thanks.

ob: the CURRENT CALL TIME and USAGE is different things ? because 4 hours of talk time + 3 hours of internet/email = 7 , than im talking ****.. but otherwise, 4 hours is crap.

any help and responde is aprecciate thanks again.

how can i know the serie of my iphone and what that mean ??

tonykenobi

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
N Ireland
hi there, i have a series 5 lcd screen, and my stats are as follows

from a full charge- usage 4hrs 22mins
standby 1 day 19 hrs
call time current period 55mins
edge network data sent 284kb received 1.1mb

i had my 10% left warning a while ago, but it seems to last a good while on that final 10%.

note this is the first time since i got it in 2 weeks ive got my usgae indicator to work.but to be honest, im not really impressed with the above figures.

wifi is only on a few times in that period.no ipod use.auto brightness etc etc.
emails are checked every hour.mostly via edge.

are the above times normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.