Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I just turned 15 and am going to be a sophomore in high school and am in the market for a new apple laptop. I know that there have been a few posts kind of similar to this one but I think that it is unique enough to post. As you can tell be my signature, I ordered a macbook pro recently and am kind of having second thoughts (note that it is not to late to cancel order). I powerbook just popped up in the marketplace that I feel would fit my needs just as well as the macbook pro. It comes with 2GB of ram and 1.67Gz processor with a 80GB hard drive (which I would upgrade). I probably would only use this for the rest of high school and get a new one for college. So... I would be using

• Internet Browsing
  • Word processing
  • Maybe some flash
  • I would also like to do some Final cut stuff but It's not critical

Any opinion would be great

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
It's modern technology, the processor is a lot better than the one you'll be getting in a powerbook. It also has a much better graphics card.

I'd guess the RAM in the macbook pro would be faster than the RAM in the powerbook, although that's just an educated guess as I haven't gone to check it up.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Have you ruled out a MacBook, it seems like it would also be perfect for what you would be doing.

I like the screen size of the mbp/pb and I think that the macbook would be underpowered for final cut and that the powerbook would be more appropriate

Surfing@Blacks

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
I like the screen size of the mbp/pb and I think that the macbook would be underpowered for final cut and that the powerbook would be more appropriate

If the screen size is an issue then I see where you are coming from. However, I do have a powerbook 2 gb ram and also a MacBook 2 gb ram and final cut runs as good if not better then my powerbook. I would just keep your options open. If your MBP is going to be shipped pretty soon, I say just keep it... it will last you for a while and it is a great machine.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
If the screen size is an issue then I see where you are coming from. However, I do have a powerbook 2 gb ram and also a MacBook 2 gb ram and final cut pro runs as good if not better then my powerbook.

But the power book would still be less then half of what I would pay for a macbook

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006

Dual core is going to process graphics much faster than a single core G4 and the graphics card in the 1.67 PB isn't much faster than the integrated GMA in the macbook. You feel like you're getting more for your money, but you're really not. The G4s are so rapidly becoming outdated and cannot compete with the current offerings.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
if you're going to be getting a new laptop in 2 years anyway, get the PowerBook... use the saved money to get a better laptop for university. Plus, you're 15, how advanced are your needs? A PB will do fine for Office, MSN, and Facebook :p

edit: if you don't want a G4, how about a used MB or MBP? It seems like a big waste of money for a 15 year-old to get a very high-end laptop and only use it for 2 years (true, you can sell it off then, but still)...

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
if you're going to be getting a new laptop in 2 years anyway, get the PowerBook... use the saved money to get a better laptop for university. Plus, you're 15, how advanced are your needs? A PB will do fine for Office, MSN, and Facebook :p

edit: if you don't want a G4, how about a used MB or MBP? It seems like a big waste of money for a 15 year-old to get a very high-end laptop and only use it for 2 years (true, you can sell it off then, but still)...

I wouldn't get a new one if the mbp is still functioning well. Plus, thats three years, not two.

Plus, didn't you read that I would be doing final cut

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Once you get that MBP, you will be in disbelief that you even considered anything else. The MBP is awesome, and is a great deal more powerful than a PB. The PB is really a step below a MB, it's got at least two year old technology in it, a small hard drive, slower RAM (333 Mhz vs. 667 Mhz). Trust me, I love my MBP a lot more than my old MB, and my friend's PB that I used what just hands down slower than my MB, by a lot. Trust me, for what you're doing, you won't need the supreme overlord of Macs, but you'll enjoy the MBP (plus braggin' rights!). I was looking at PBs when I was thinking about a MBP, they're just too old to be that useful today. Sure they'll run fine, but they're not 64 bit (leopard), nor are they very recent, and by the next release of OS X, they'll be dropped, I'm sure. Just go with your original plan, follow it through, you'll be very happy, just don't go into denial while it's shipping.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Once you get that MBP, you will be in disbelief that you even considered anything else. The MBP is awesome, and is a great deal more powerful than a PB. The PB is really a step below a MB, it's got at least two year old technology in it, a small hard drive, slower RAM (333 Mhz vs. 667 Mhz). Trust me, I love my MBP a lot more than my old MB, and my friend's PB that I used what just hands down slower than my MB, by a lot. Trust me, for what you're doing, you won't need the supreme overlord of Macs, but you'll enjoy the MBP (plus braggin' rights!). I was looking at PBs when I was thinking about a MBP, they're just too old to be that useful today. Sure they'll run fine, but they're not 64 bit (leopard), nor are they very recent, and by the next release of OS X, they'll be dropped, I'm sure. Just go with your original plan, follow it through, you'll be very happy, just don't go into denial while it's shipping.

Thanks a lot for your advice

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I just turned 15 and am going to be a sophomore in high school and am in the market for a new apple laptop. I know that there have been a few posts kind of similar to this one but I think that it is unique enough to post. As you can tell be my signature, I ordered a macbook pro recently and am kind of having second thoughts (note that it is not to late to cancel order). I powerbook just popped up in the marketplace that I feel would fit my needs just as well as the macbook pro. It comes with 2GB of ram and 1.67Gz processor with a 80GB hard drive (which I would upgrade). I probably would only use this for the rest of high school and get a new one for college. So... I would be using

• Internet Browsing
  • Word processing
  • Maybe some flash
  • I would also like to do some Final cut stuff but It's not critical

Any opinion would be great

I bought a MacBook Pro last year when I was turning 15. I absolutely needed it though. It seems for the things you will be doing, you don't need the MacBook Pro. You should dave yourself the money and get a MacBook. You just can't do Motion work on a MacBook with Final Cut. If I were you I would get a MacBook. With the arguments you have given it seems you are convincing yourself that you don't want this MBP. If you don't want it then get save the money and buy a MacBook. I don't think anyone in this thread can help you further then they have. It is your choice now.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
If a powerbook has a G5..U may consider. but unfortunately it is still using a G4 chip..

What relevance is this? Not to sound mean or anything.

But to the OP, They are both good machines, although you obviously know which one is the strongest. In my opinion even the Macbook is stronger than the G4, and I have both. If you can afford the MBP, you should just go for it. Stronger, will be a great capable machine for a long time, and have a better resale value in a couple years if you chose to go that route.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
As a PB user I find mine to be just as useful for everyday tasks and probably more if I maxed out the ram.

I do understand that a MB/P would be much better for future uses. But, I still see people using Old G3 and G4 Macs for heavy tasks. IMO a MB would work for now and you could sell it when you are in your first year of Uni. The choice really is yours.

And what is it with our (Mac users) idea that if a computer is 3-4 years old it is completly slow and useless?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.