Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I replaced my iMac G4/800 17" hard drive that was failing (S.M.A.R.T. status) tonight. Textbook operation, following directions from xlr8yourmac.com. No problems at all. I pre-built the drive with Tiger 4.10 in an external case (using the iMac as host) and transferred everything to the drive and tested. I booted off the external drive for a few days for testing. Again, no problems.

I got the iMac back together and booted up. Everything sounds fine but the monitor is black. It's as if there's no power to it or perhaps the lamps were just out.

When I press the power key for 1-2 seconds, the mac goes to sleep and the white Sleep Light on the front of the monitor comes on, so the monitor would appear to be getting power.

The Mac is working, evidently, as the chime for new mail sounded and the new drive chirps a little (very quiet though, btw).

I do NOT have a second monitor to hook to the VGA port, unfortunately.

On one reboot there was a sine-wave 'bong' sound, but the Mac proceeded to boot. I shut down again after that, took the housing apart and checked for trouble. Nothing. The video cable and connector is fine. There are no cables pinched or cut that I can see. And I did ever-so-carefully align the two halves when reassembling.

On the third boot I got the normal Mac chime (no bong/gong) and it booted fine - with no video.

One side note that I expect to be un-related: I left the HD jumper in cable-select mode, as the drive that was in there was also set on cable select (was a Western Digital 250GB drive; the new drive is a Maxtor).

What's wrong with this iMac monitor???

Thanks...

UknownUknown

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
yea im having the same problem...the screen just started not displaying. Completely black but when put to sleep the light on the monitor turns on like normal...

Gina

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
New York
iMac G4 screen midnight blue / dark

New to the forum: iMac G4 problem

I usually turn off my computer at night. Last Friday I put it to sleep running Safari - a page with a google video on pause. The next day I hit the space bar to wake it up and it was just dark dark blue (not quite black like when it's shut down). I called apple and they had me power down or restart with some key strokes = nothing..

Then I had a engineer friend (builds editing systems) do the pram thing and then something with control/apple OF... hit some key strokes reset, some other stuff and reset (all without seeing what I was doing)... nothing. Oh, during the OF thing - I did see some green lines flash across the center of the screen - for like a second.

I can see if i hit the power botton (in the back) when it goes to sleep (by the sleep indicator light glowing). Then I shut it down - nothing is bringing back the screen. I get the single chime like when the computer is turned on so i guess the actuall HD is fine.

If I put in a CD music starts to play so iTunes is active.

Does this sound like the Inverter Board? or maybe (hopefully not) a video card?

I'm going to try to hook it up to an external monitor (i have a lcd tv at home to try this)

I really want to save this computer - I'm not ready to give up on it - LOVE IT... any advice would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Gina

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.