Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i think the topic really says it all. is there a way to change the 'silent' settings other than by using the button on the side of the phone? or is it possible to switch the use of the button so 'silent' becomes 'ring' and visa versa?

thanks!

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
may sound like a stupid follow up, but are you saying if i switch 'vibrate' to off under silent that it automatically changes to 'ring' mode? i just assumed if i turned vibrate off in silent mode the phone wouldn't vibrate when i received a call/message.

Yes under Setting>Sounds

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
so am i to assume there is not a way to do this?
anyone?

it looks like the whole problem might be that i put the silent/ring switch backwards when reinstalling my housing. i would hope that by taking it apart and flipping the switch around it would work properly, but i just don't feel like taking it all apart again. really hope there's a workaround.

thanks!

Navintar

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
California
I believe there is no way to do it.
The switch on the side is for switching between 2 modes: Ringing and Silent.
Now the phone still vibrates in both modes. To turn it off, you go to the setting in sound option.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whether or not it vibrates is independent of the mode you're in.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
thanks. guess that's what i figured. i know it can vibrate in either mode, i was mainly concerned with the ringing portion of it.

I believe there is no way to do it.
The switch on the side is for switching between 2 modes: Ringing and Silent.
Now the phone still vibrates in both modes. To turn it off, you go to the setting in sound option.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whether or not it vibrates is independent of the mode you're in.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
thanks. guess that's what i figured. i know it can vibrate in either mode, i was mainly concerned with the ringing portion of it.

I am not sure what you want to do but try this.

1. Leave the switch in Ring mode.
2. Go to Settings>Sounds
3. If you want it to vibrate, turn the vibrate ON under ring settings and then turn the volume all the way down.
4. If you want it to do nothing, then turn vibrate OFF under ring settings and then turn the volume all the way down.
5. If you want it to ring well then turn the volume up.

Navintar

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
California
I am not sure what you want to do but try this.

1. Leave the switch in Ring mode.
2. Go to Settings>Sounds
3. If you want it to vibrate, turn the vibrate ON under ring settings and then turn the volume all the way down.
4. If you want it to do nothing, then turn vibrate OFF under ring settings and then turn the volume all the way down.
5. If you want it to ring well then turn the volume up.

I think the problem that his switch is stuck in silent mode, according to this thread

pavid

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
i am having the same problem, but my silent switch is broken, so i cant switch between them, and it is stuck on loud.

they wont fix it under warrentee because the screen is cracked.

when i put the volume all the way down it, it isnt silent. it still rings, but quietly. which is no good when im in lectures etc.

anyone know how to do it?

thanks

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
i am having the same problem, but my silent switch is broken, so i cant switch between them, and it is stuck on loud.

they wont fix it under warrentee because the screen is cracked.

when i put the volume all the way down it, it isnt silent. it still rings, but quietly. which is no good when im in lectures etc.

anyone know how to do it?

thanks

Maybe create a custom ringtone (garageband) that is very quiet? Or maybe make a custom ringtone that is silence?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.