Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stekerrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Macclesfield/Salford England
hello guys.....really could do with some help here.....my girlfriend has had my laptop and when i was speaking to her on the phone last night and she tells me that when the charger is connected to the iBook smoke appears! apparently it comes from where one end of the charger goes into the laptop!

is this a simple buy a new charger thing or is it something in the laptop gone wrong?

i need this computer to be working because in 6 weeks im back at uni and need it for there!

any help greatly appreciated guys......

thanks from a distressed stephen!!

stekerrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
It sounds like the iBook's DC-In board is going bad. You should be able to buy it for about $50, if you want to install it yourself check out the 12" ifixit guide or 14" ifixit guide.

ah rite i dont really want to go into the computer that much....ive upgraded ram in a couple of macs but that looks way to advanced for me! would apple be able to repair it for me or will they charge me an arm and a leg?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Do you still have Applecare left? If not, it never hurts to go to the Genius Bar and see what they have to say anyway. If they are going to charge you too much for it, just say that you don't want to have them do the repair and take the iBook back. And the repair didn't look too complicated to me, you only have to take off the bottom case and the DC-In board is right there.

stekerrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Applecare

i didnt get the applecare when i bought it......kind of wishing i did now!!!! i'll get it back of my girlfriend when i see her 2mrw then go up 2 the nearest apple store and see what theyve gotta say about it all! i've found the part from a UK supplier and it aint that bad price wise....if it costs aload to get it repaired then i will do it myself though!

cheers for your help! greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.