Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Is there any way to disable iTunes and iPhoto from starting when I plug in my iPhone? All I want to do is charge the device when I plug it in... if I want to do any syncing then I'll start the apps on my own.

Thanks.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
I've noticed another problem with leaving the phone connected to the computer... every time I reboot or switch accounts iPhoto and iTunes start up... there has to be a way to prevent iTunes/iPhoto from launching when the phone's connected.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you launch the Image Capture program and pop into its preferences and set it to do nothing when a camera is attached, that should stop iPhoto from starting each time you plug your iPhone in.

Maybe in iTunes if you tell it to manually sync your iPhone that'll stop it from popping up.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
That works

I can confirm that changing the Image Capture setting in its respective preferences stops iPhoto from popping up.

God, was that annoying! :)

Seems like they should have some logical pointer in the iTunes/iPhone preferences for that.

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
You can disable iTunes automatic syncing by going into iTunes Preferences then click the Syncing tab and check the box next to "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods," but it will still launch the program. That's something they should fix.

homa2001

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
iTunes autostart

In your Activity Monitor kill iTunes Helper process and it will prevent iTunes from loading when you connect your iPhone. But I suspect it will also stop iTunes from loading when you connect your iPod. You would have to manually start iTunes every time you connect your iPod or iPhone.

Also, to preserve this state, you might want to remove iTunes Helper from your login items.

PlunderDome

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
it works

I use image capture instead of iphoto anyway......but ur right....that was annoying!

I can confirm that changing the Image Capture setting in its respective preferences stops iPhoto from popping up.

God, was that annoying! :)

Seems like they should have some logical pointer in the iTunes/iPhone preferences for that.

dannieloco

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
If you launch the Image Capture program and pop into its preferences and set it to do nothing when a camera is attached, that should stop iPhoto from starting each time you plug your iPhone in.

Maybe in iTunes if you tell it to manually sync your iPhone that'll stop it from popping up.

Just like photos on the iPhone, screenshots on the iPod touch are stored in the Photos app, though in an album called Saved Photos (instead of Camera Roll on the iPhone). Whenever an item exists in Saved Photos, plugging the iPod touch into the Mac causes iPhoto to launch, since it assumes you want to copy the image to your Mac for safekeeping.

The solution is easy. Open the Photos app on the iPod touch, tap the Saved Photos album, tap the screenshot, tap the trash button in the lower right corner, and tap the big red Delete Photo button that appears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.