Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I searched the forums first cause I was almost certain this question would be on here, but I didn't see any!

All of the sudden my Mac Pro wont read blank CD-R's and blank DVD-R's. It will read burned disc and software just fine. I was burning with these same disc fine a few days ago.

I get this "This disc cannot be used because it is not recognized."

I tried rebooting with no luck! The only thing that I've done to my Mac lately is add a 1 TB External HD (Western Digital) to my mac through the 800 plug.

My boss is coming over soon to pick up some disc. :(

Any help would be swell!

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I had that same problem with my Mac tower. I ended up buying a new DVD-CD from OWC and installed it myself. Bummer, because I had not burned many opticals with the drive that failed.

That is why I am waiting for a new Mac tower on Aug 7. Something that will let me get inside and muck around. I cannot easily replace an optical drive in an iMac so I will not buy it.

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I had that same problem with my Mac tower. I ended up buying a new DVD-CD from OWC and installed it myself. Bummer, because I had not burned many opticals with the drive that failed.

That is why I am waiting for a new Mac tower on Aug 7. Something that will let me get inside and muck around. I cannot easily replace an optical drive in an iMac so I will not buy it.

Do you have a MacPro? Did you get the Pioneer DVR-112D?

Does the apple store install a new one or will apple ship it out?

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
My Mac tower is a Blue & White G3. It had a much faster optical drive than the original. I was surprised when it failed with such little usage time.

I purchased a new drive from OWC and replaced it myself using their excellent instructions online. $39.99 is a good price.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powermac/

Notice the "Do it yourself" instructions on that same page. If you let a computer technician install it, they will charge you about $100 labor.

madh

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
DVD Drive wont read blank CD-R/DVD-R all of the sudden!

I just started with the same Mounting of Blank DVDs in finder problem. I read your post about the Western Digital, which I just installed the Button Manager for. I immediately went to my Activity Monitor, found a WDSrvice program. (sorry already lost the exact name), couldn't remove it, so I used Lingon to uninstall it. It was under "User Daemons". Walla!! My Mac mounts blank DVDs perfectly again!

Dave.

===========================================
I tried rebooting with no luck! The only thing that I've done to my Mac lately is add a 1 TB External HD (Western Digital) to my mac through the 800 plug.

My boss is coming over soon to pick up some disc.

Any help would be swell!

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
So you removed the Western Digital external drive and now the DVD's are now recognized? Maybe I'm not following you. I downloaded Lingon, now do I need to remove the WD external?

I just started with the same Mounting of Blank DVDs in finder problem. I read your post about the Western Digital, which I just installed the Button Manager for. I immediately went to my Activity Monitor, found a WDSrvice program. (sorry already lost the exact name), couldn't remove it, so I used Lingon to uninstall it. It was under "User Daemons". Walla!! My Mac mounts blank DVDs perfectly again!

Dave.

Any help would be swell!

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
latest update:

So I sent in my Super Drive to be replaced at the Apple store because the drive would only read a few DVD-R's and DVD+r's but not all of them. So they took it and replaced it. Then I got it home and it still didn't work. I've tried many brands of blank DVD's but none work.

I had apple just send me a new super drive this one does not have a brand on it but im sure it's the Pioneer and it looks brand new. Still doesn't read them.

I took out the old one and put in the new one today. Do I need to do anything else or change/install anything? Or is it plug and play? Here is my info on the drive..

Name : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
Type : Disk

Disk Identifier : disk4
Media Name : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D Media
Media Type : DVDROM
Connection Bus : ATA
Connection Type : Internal
Connection ID : Device 0
Device Tree : /PCI0@0/PATA@1F,1/PRID@0/@0:0
Locked : Yes
Writable : No
Ejectable : Yes
Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed : No
DVDROM : Yes
Optical Media Type : DVD+R
Device Type : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Total Capacity : 0 Bytes
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Disk Number : 4
Partition Number : 0
Connection ID : Device 0 Partition Scheme : Unformatted

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Dave,

I opened Lingon.app and got this..

4q8aoba

Then what do I do here?

67g9c3k

Other Screen Shots That MIGHT help.

4t6w0hc

4majl90

645h74x

Dave.

Any help would be swell!

madh

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
That is the it. You can simply unload it first, then test a blank DVD for mounting. I went a step further and deleted the com.WD.WDDriveServices.plist file off my harddrive, then deleted /usr/bin/WDDrvSvc also. Now my DVD Burning works fine. Also, My WD drive also works fine.

Dave.

Dave,

I opened Lingon.app and got this..

4q8aoba

Then what do I do here?

67g9c3k

Other Screen Shots That MIGHT help.

4t6w0hc

4majl90

645h74x

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
:(

I removed the .plst file like you did. Then I went back into Lingon. The "users daemons" was empty. I assumed it was removed for good. I go to put in a burned CD-R, works fine, but still doesn't recognize a "blank" cd-r.

What is weird is that I had a Sony SuperDrive in my comp, but it read Pioneer DVR-111D in "Disk Utility", now I have a DVR-111D (one shipped from Apple) Do I need to reformat this drive?

Could it be "Boot Camp"? This too was also recently installed.

Also, the highlighted section says, "Not Writable". is that correct?

6bejkn5

thedirtyduo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Mac Morons! :O)

It doesn't take a "Genius" to fix a Mac! When Apple sends you a part, it says to carfully hook 'drive' the same way the previous one was installed. I did. But then after wasting a whole day with Apple care I switched the connection on the back of the superdrive to from "top" to "drive". Problem solved. Apple wasted my time, gas, energy & money (i got a parking ticket outside the store) and all the guy/girl had to do was hook it up right!

Thanks for everyone's input.

It works beautiful!

Advise: If your superdrive, ram or something simple goes out on your Mac. Just have them send you the part.

wizone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2007
The WD drive is the culprit

Had same problem, after looooong time on the phone with WD they gave me this: go to library, launchdaemons folder, delete file com.WD.WDDDriveServices.plist. So far it's working. :)

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
ok so i have a first gen 2.0 cd Mb with a superdrive and i have the same problem
i read throght the whole thread but i dont have that com.WD.WDDDriveServices.plist file?
so anybody have any ideas? beside buying a new drive?

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
Had same problem, after looooong time on the phone with WD they gave me this: go to library, launchdaemons folder, delete file com.WD.WDDDriveServices.plist. So far it's working. :)

After monkeying with everything else, I did exactly this - suspecting it was the cause and it's working like a champ. My super drive hasn't worked since the day I set my Mid-2011 27" iMac up... I never gave it much thought until I really needed to get a disc burned almost a year later... knowing the drive would read discs fine made me think it wasn't the drive... it wasn't... it was the MyBook RAID Manager software (which was installed within minutes of turning the mac on)

Anyway... this worked like a champ. Thanks so much to everyone here for being generally fu ck ing awesome. Ironic that a fix from like 4 years ago is still valid today...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.