Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilgreg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I am having a hard time finding a good ebook reader for my macbook when I am on the road. I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, which is a free ebook reader, but it doesn't recognize ANY file formats (not even .txt for some reason).

Any good suggestions?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Ereader has a mac os e-reader and it is very good. Keep in mind you'll have to pay to get books in their format. I am not sure if mobipocket offers one too, but i can vouch that the e-reader is very comfortable.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Isn't there one that can read simple files like .txt?

I am not sure. You could try over at mobileread.com, someone there may be more familiar with laptop ebook reading. I've only done it once or twice, I usually used my Treo when I had ebooks to read. Ereader might support .txt, you'd have to check their site. Bear in mind ebooks have had a steep march towards acceptance and so many commercial readers are designed around locking in customers. You may be stuck with Pages or Word for plain files.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Ereader has a mac os e-reader and it is very good. Keep in mind you'll have to pay to get books in their format. I am not sure if mobipocket offers one too, but i can vouch that the e-reader is very comfortable.
There are plenty of free .pdb books that ereader can read just fine, but only ereader can read the DRM'ed .pdb files that you buy from them. Check out Project Gutenberg for a very extensive list of books in .pdb format (and many others as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.