Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Hello,
Im a CS major who just went his first Fall 2007 programming class and the instructor was saying how he would send us StarUML files. I went to their website and they dont have a osx version of their software...
Versiotracker failed to turn up anything useful also. So, Im wondering if there is something I on osx that i can open StarUML files with. Also, is StarUML the de facto industry standard for working with UML files? What can I use on the mac?

Thanks in advance!

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
It looks like the app is open source, so if you're brave, you could try figuring out how to port it to the Mac, or at least make a converter.

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
I think porting something like that would be much more time consuming than just using an old-fashion windows box. I have a G4, so I cant use vmware or parallels.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I think porting something like that would be much more time consuming than just using an old-fashion windows box. I have a G4, so I cant use vmware or parallels.

True. I was going to suggest VMware or Parallels but those cost $$.

Edit: what about installing it onto a thumb drive to run off a PC in your school's labs? You can export the diagrams to jpeg.

pigoz

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Milan, Italy
I don't know if it can open StarUML's files but I found ArgoUML to be as feature rich as StarUML for my academic projects. The big plus is it's written in JAVA, thus it's cross-platform :)
Maybe you can ask your professor to use it or a cross-platform alternative; it's very strange for CS professors to force you to use windows ^^

bccrowe

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2005
I am unfamiliar with StarUML - I use Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML http://www.visual-paradigm.com). This Java product imports and exports XMI and OpenXML project files, and also Rational Rose projects. If StarUML also imports/exports any of these formats, you may be interested in VP-UML. They have a CommunityEdition for MacOSX that is free - limits to one open project, watermarks drawings, and Community Edition may have other limitations that may make it useless for you.

Brian

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
I don't know if it can open StarUML's files but I found ArgoUML to be as feature rich as StarUML for my academic projects. The big plus is it's written in JAVA, thus it's cross-platform :)
Maybe you can ask your professor to use it or a cross-platform alternative; it's very strange for CS professors to force you to use windows ^^

Thanks for the head up about ArgoUML. I think its definitely a winner for academia - open source, free, cross-platform. Visual paradigm also looks nice...didnt have a chance to play around with it yet. But Im definitely gonna start a discussion about why the professor is making us use a program thats only for winblows. I hate it when they do this OS dependent stuff...

Oh, while we are already talking about java stuff. I thoguht I'd ask about a java deveopment environment. What do people recommend. In my other java classes I've been using Dr.Java, which has been great. But in this class (Object Orientated Design Patterns), we are getting more into the advanced stuff. So, would Dr.Java still be enough or should I look at something more robust? I use TextMate for Ruby on Rails and love it. Has anyone had any experience with the TextMate java bundles?

Thanks for everyones help!

pigoz

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Milan, Italy
I didn't try Xcode yet but I think I will not switch to it for java coding. In the past year I have been using Eclipse for my JAVA projects, and I really like it.

It's very feature rich, and it has a lot of plugins to expand its functionality even more. It's very polished to be an open-surce software, mainly because it gets a lot of support from IBM.
It's written in java, so it can be quite heavy on older machines, especially under linux and osx where the JVM is not as optimized as the one in windows.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
There is no defacto industry standard for UML files. When I was in school we used ArgoUML or Rational Rose....now I'm in the "industry" and we don't even use UML....lol

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Hello,
Im a CS major who just went his first Fall 2007 programming class and the instructor was saying how he would send us StarUML files. I went to their website and they dont have a osx version of their software...
Versiotracker failed to turn up anything useful also. So, Im wondering if there is something I on osx that i can open StarUML files with. Also, is StarUML the de facto industry standard for working with UML files? What can I use on the mac?

Thanks in advance!

Or you could try Poseidon, which is a commercial product derived originally from ArgoUML, but with a lot more polish. They have a free community version, with similar constraints to those found in Visual Pradigm's community version.

I have actually used Poseidon and V-Paradigm at work, and as a personal preference, I would choose Poseidon... As for compatibility with StarUML, your mileage may vary - it depends on what formats can be exported/imported from StarUML...

davidlt

macrumors member
May 22, 2007
Lithuania
I will need to use UML in studies and for wok, which of those programs support UML 2.0? As I know it's the latest version.

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
…In the past year I have been using Eclipse for my JAVA projects, and I really like it…

I would have to recommend Eclipse as well. It is extremely capable but it is very heavyweight and as such runs like a dog on slower computers. But if you are working on moderately complex projects it is really worth its weight in gold.

DesertFox

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Or you could try Poseidon, which is a commercial product derived originally from ArgoUML, but with a lot more polish. They have a free community version, with similar constraints to those found in Visual Pradigm's community version.

I have actually used Poseidon and V-Paradigm at work, and as a personal preference, I would choose Poseidon... As for compatibility with StarUML, your mileage may vary - it depends on what formats can be exported/imported from StarUML...

Too bad they dont have Poseidon for the mac... :(

thangcv.it55

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
I am unfamiliar with StarUML - I use Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML http://www.visual-paradigm.com). This Java product imports and exports XMI and OpenXML project files, and also Rational Rose projects. If StarUML also imports/exports any of these formats, you may be interested in VP-UML. They have a CommunityEdition for MacOSX that is free - limits to one open project, watermarks drawings, and Community Edition may have other limitations that may make it useless for you.

Brian
thanks so much, it work so good :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.