Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brogers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
From the look of the pictures at Apple's site, the back of the G5 looks like a blowtorch. Are there any specs on this or do I need to plan on getting some Shuttle tiles to keep the walls from catching fire?

Thanks

Attachments

• designcooling06232003.jpg
    designcooling06232003.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 330

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
This is nothing more than a graphical illustration of air flow, cool air comes in through the front, cools the CPU's, hard drives etc and passes out the back :rolleyes:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
With the way people are twisting the information coming out of Apple and the technology market in general, I wouldn't be surprised if they read that picture to mean that...

"Apple is developing a methanol powered afterburner."

"Apple G5 powered desktop breaks mach 1 and 3GHz"

:eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
While Brogers brings up a good point, the graphic is a little misleading, I too am curious to how much heat these G5s will be producing. How will they compare to the 1.42 G4s?

D

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
From the look of the pictures at Apple's site, the back of the G5 looks like a blowtorch. Are there any specs on this or do I need to plan on getting some Shuttle tiles to keep the walls from catching fire?
If new G5 Power Mac indeed generates that much heat, I think the Aluminium casing, or the internal components for that matter, will experience immediate meltdown. The graphic is just suggesting cool air comes in through the front and hot air goes out the back.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
How much hot air .. that IS the question.
What do you want, specific temperature? Volume of hot air?

It will be negligible. No matter how much hot G5 Power Mac gets, it will be nothing compared to how hot current PC's get. And I have not seen any PC's that blow out so much heat that you'll need space shuttle re-entry tiles on your desk.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think he was being mildly sarcastic... i should guess that the warm air coming out of the back should range from 80-150degrees F. If you put this in an enclosed box for extended periods of time, a risk of fire might be present; however the computer itself would shut down long before that happened.

pnw

brogers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by paulwhannel
i think he was being mildly sarcastic... i should guess that the warm air coming out of the back should range from 80-150degrees F. If you put this in an enclosed box for extended periods of time, a risk of fire might be present; however the computer itself would shut down long before that happened.

pnw

Your right. Sarcasm was part of my post. I was just curious about the amount of heat since removing it seems to be an integral part of the G5's interworkings. Won't make a difference if I buy one or not...just posing the question.

Thanks for all who replied.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Heat Sinks?

Did you notice how big the heat sinks are? They seem to be huge. The first thing I wonder about was how much heat do they really give off especally since the 970 is supposed to use less power than the G4.

Please correct if I'm wrong, which I hope I am.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Blow torches

Originally posted by macphoria
What do you want, specific temperature? Volume of hot air?

It will be negligible. No matter how much hot G5 Power Mac gets, it will be nothing compared to how hot current PC's get. And I have not seen any PC's that blow out so much heat that you'll need space shuttle re-entry tiles on your desk.

Uhhh, The currently available consumer top end macs put out about as much heat as the currently available consumer PCs.

Dual 1.42 G4s vs single 3.2 P4.

One positive aspect of the P4 is it will run and not burn if something terrible happened, say if the heatsink fell off.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Re: Heat Sinks?

Originally posted by Fender2112
Did you notice how big the heat sinks are? They seem to be huge. The first thing I wonder about was how much heat do they really give off especally since the 970 is supposed to use less power than the G4.

Please correct if I'm wrong, which I hope I am.

Also, remember it is supposed to be very quiet. Assuming the G5 generates a fair ammount of heat, the heat sink would have to be quite large to be effective combined with a quiet, fairly low velocity fan.

Remember the heat sink on the dual G4 1.42? It is a massive block of copper, with 4 heatpipes transfering heat throughout the fins (heatpipes move heat 10-100 times faster than metal). This in conjuntion with a somewhat noisy fan cooled the G4's.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with overkill. The fans are variable speed. If they never have to speed up, but can if the ambient temp is very hot, or whatever, I think it's a great design with nothing to worry about.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Steve just forgot to mention the part about it being dual purpose....

It serves as a heater as well as a computer. Air filters are sold separately and can be ordered only throught the Apple store.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I took several G5s for test drives while I was at WWDC.
Some G5 were fairly loud. Louder that my DP 867 Power Mac before I changed the fans and power supply. But those G5s were prototypes and had there fans on full blast.
Most G5s I used were VERY quiet. :)
I expected a lot of heat out the back side as well. The heatsinks are monsters ! But I was surprised by the lack of heat :)
My DP 867 seems to put out far more heat.

I think the monster heatsinks are to keep the fans speed down and quieter. With the added bonus of putting faster processors in with no heatsink change ;)

The G5 is simply impressive :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.