Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I have a n62 which uses the same network as the Iphone. Could I swap it out and have it work? Or do I need a trip to the att store to do a setup.

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You need a new AT&T SIM. For the time being, there's something special about the iPhone SIM that prevents you from using your current SIM. You can do the reverse, though, and use the iPhone SIM in your Nokia, once you get it.

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
This is wrong -- you CAN use an existing an Cingular/AT&T SIM, but you will still need to add or confirm a data plan via iTunes. (I used my existing SIM in my iPhone.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is wrong -- you CAN use an existing an Cingular/AT&T SIM, but you will still need to add or confirm a data plan via iTunes. (I used my existing SIM in my iPhone.)

Really? I thought a number of people tried this and reported it didn't work, and that even when people had their iPhones replaced, they needed new SIM cards as well (which is also unusual).

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
You need to have the ATT 3G sim card and it will work, the blue one. If you have a Cingular one, especially the low capacity one (32k) then odds are it will not work.

This is why some have had luck, others not.

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
You need to have the ATT 3G sim card and it will work, the blue one. If you have a Cingular one, especially the low capacity one (32k) then odds are it will not work.
I'm not sure which sizes these are, but I used an existing Cingular 3G SIM from the end of last year.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

This is why some have had luck, others not.

Have fun thinking that because I'm using my original Cingular SIM card. Orange and all.

The cards make little difference.

Brad Cummings

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
Using my 3 yr. old sim Cingular card in a new iphone

I feel confused about whether or not an old GSM network SIM card can be placed into an iphone. I called AT&T and they said no. My SIM card is the old orange looking one. Does anyone know for a fact that I could simply buy a new iphone and transfer my old GSM SIM card into it and it will work? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.