Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
I think this is so cool.... and clever... and everything.... I want one!!

Link junkies get your fix here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3045158.stm

and

http://www.hektor.ch/

or article below..

Two Swiss researchers have created what could be the largest portable ink jet printer in the world.

Called Hektor, the printer built by Jürg Lehni and Uli Franke converts small computer created images into huge facsimilies that it recreates with cans of spray paint.

Hektor can be mounted on any wall and the spray can at its heart is moved with two independently controllable pulleys.

The machine has already won an award at the 2003 Machinista media art festival.

Researcher Jürg Lehni came up with the idea for Hektor when thinking about novel ways for an artist to turn computer-drawn images into something more concrete.

He wanted to combine the precision of computer-generated images with the woolier outlines produced by spray paint.

Working with friend and electronic engineering student Uli Franke, Mr Lehni created Hektor. The machine suspends a spray paint using two toothed belts that feed through a pair of motors.

Working together the two motors allow the paint can to be positioned anywhere inside the box they define.

The spray can is held in a custom-made harness that controls when and how long it sprays paint on the wall it faces.

All the parts for Hektor fit in two suitcases making the whole device portable and adaptable to almost any surface that the motors can be attached to.

Mr Lehni also created a program that converts images created with Adobe Illustrator into files that Hektor can paint onto walls.

Writing about the creation of Hektor, Mr Lehni said one of the hardest parts was designing the path-finding algorithm that works out the most efficient path for the can to trace out and paint an image.

Now it is fully working Hektor can reproduce almost any image in a fashion that "is obviously not sprayed by a human".

Hektor has also been used to help create a work of art by Cornel Windlin in an exhibition held at the Zurich Kunsthaus gallery.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Damn that impressive - I just watched the video they had on the hektor site....:D

Cool stuff - I'd love to see if they do 3 color art, use one with three cans......

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Damn that impressive - I just watched the video they had on the hektor site....:D

Cool stuff - I'd love to see if they do 3 color art, use one with three cans......

D

that'd be quite a 'warholian' challenge for Hektor... :D :p :p

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
thats aweomse, i also love the desktop liek website they put together, thanks for the great link

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Nice!

That thing is pretty badass. Pretty soon all of the street artists will have some computer-aided competition. Would be quite a hit at Venice Beach or Fisherman's Wharf.

Hickman

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by iGAV
that'd be quite a 'warholian' challenge for Hektor... :D :p :p

ooh, think ziptone....

It would not surprise me to see them expand the abilities of this at all. Such cool stuff.

D

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I've so got the first order if they come on the market :D

Very interesting and very cool...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think hektor is run by a pc - and they have some special hardware to go with it. I'm sure its not cheap. Also if you read their pdf, this isn't a simple little thing they did. Which really makes it special and I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of a kind. :D

D

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Well, there have been different versions of huge "printers".

There have been a few that use more accurate paint ball gun type ink jets, interesting but messy if you're in the firing range.

Wouldn't mind seeing colour versions with 5 spray cans :D

I really want to looking into designing something like this :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Maybe as a class project Wardofsky could design one that runs on a Mac! Mr. Anderson be an advisor on the project!

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I think to print a photo with five colours on a wall would be my kinda' thing.

duke's a couple of continents away from me so maybe an iSight/iChat style project then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.