Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Hi, when i got my MPB on Monday i first wanted to play a DVD on it...but then nothing...i tried with DVD player but nothing. I heard that you should be asked the first time in what zone you are located but this was never asked when i inserted the DVD. Other CD such as data CD works but not the DVDs....

Any recommendations?
Thanks

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Does the DVD show up on the desktop? Can you see the files on the DVD? Can you try with another DVD, preferably from another zone?

Try playing the DVD with VideoLAN as well..

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Does the DVD show up on the desktop? Can you see the files on the DVD? Can you try with another DVD, preferably from another zone?

Try playing the DVD with VideoLAN as well..

Dusanv, i have tried 3 dvd all zone 2. 2 out of 3 did not play...all play on my windows pc...for the one that played i could see the dvd on my desktop and dvd player would open automatically. for the 2 others i could not see anything anywhere...the dvd was running speed ramping up and then down, up again and after a few trials it is ejected. just like the dvd is nor recognized at all...

any suggestions?

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Have you tried updating the software? There was recently a superdrive update, your Macbook Pro might of not been shipped with the most recent updates

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
MacGiver, DVD Player is a pain when it comes to the format of the DVD. It doesn't play stuff that doesn't conform 100%. I got some lecture DVDs from my old school and it wouldn't play them whereas VideoLAN did just fine. That sounds like the case here. Try with VideoLan and it'll probably work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.