Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Is it possible to boot a Powermac G5 Dual 2 GHz using the built in software Raid 0? I know that this can be set up using disk utility but wondered if it was possible to boot from the RAID set.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Yup.

Done it with the Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz, and my now used G5 Quad is also setup that way.
Just make sure the two drives are as identical as possible.

Here's a pic of the Disk Utility of my Boot RAID 0 config:

Attachments

• Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 561

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Yup.

Done it with the Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz, and my now used G5 Quad is also setup that way.
Just make sure the two drives are as identical as possible.

Here's a pic of the Disk Utility of my Boot RAID 0 config:

Great I will give it a go. I have 2 nearly identical drives in the the Powermac G5 and one is going to waste. Might as well add some needed speed.

Thanks for the info MacsRgr8!

ZachPruckowski

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
Great I will give it a go. I have 2 nearly identical drives in the the Powermac G5 and one is going to waste. Might as well add some needed speed.

Thanks for the info MacsRgr8!

Be aware that making a RAID 0 wipes both drives clean. Therefore you need to move everything off those drives and store it somewhere while you make the RAID 0. So you need to duplicate your current drive onto a third HDD for about 15 minutes while the RAID 0 is constructed, then you need to copy it back over.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Be aware that making a RAID 0 wipes both drives clean. Therefore you need to move everything off those drives and store it somewhere while you make the RAID 0. So you need to duplicate your current drive onto a third HDD for about 15 minutes while the RAID 0 is constructed, then you need to copy it back over.

Thanks. I keep a full bootable backup of the complete OS on a firewire drive, that gets updated every 3 days (Intego Personal Backup X4). I may even create another backup on a spare external HD (just in case!). You can never be too careful :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.