Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I had it all planned out. I was going to get a 100GB+ iPod Touch, with WiFi or not, I didn't care. Cover Flow, widescreen movies, woooh! And then—

16GB. A dilemma. I can either get a 160GB iPod Classic, and revel in being able to have my entire collection handy, or I can get a 16GB iPod Touch and smoke a cigar in the presence of the badass touchscreen, WiFi and widescreen movies and TV shows — but have ten times less storage.

Am I mad for leaning towards the Touch? Am I being irrationally swayed by something new and shiny? Answers on a postcard :p

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
ipod classic
if you are going to get an ipod touch just get an iphone, because 16 GB is small anyway, and you get phone, txting etc

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
IMO, they made a huge mistake.

What's the point of having such a large beautiful screen on the ipod touch if you can't put a whole lot of video on there?

The classic isnt worth it for me because ive been holding out from buying a video ipod all this time because of the size of the screen.

I would've been fine with an ipod touch without the wifi or anything else, and a little thicker if they could've equipped it with atleast 80gigs.

Right now, it's just a phoneless iphone, sort of caught in limbo, it cant make calls or anything, but it doesnt have the capacity that a full sized ipod should have. It's not quite a PDA, not quite an iphone, not quite a full sized ipod, but it has a full sized screen that will only be good for holding a small amount of videos, whereas the classic can hold everything you got, but what's the point of watching videos on such a small screen?

Here's hoping they increase the storage on the ipod touch one day down the line...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
depends on if you "need" to have all your music with you all the time or not.
/shrug.

the 16gig iPod Touch is more than enough for most people

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I would get the 8GB touch, but if you have a lot of music, it's not worth it. I appreciate Apple's desire to move towards more use of flash, but I agree that there are going to be people upset about not getting all of the features of the touch with the higher capacity models.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I do not understand the dilemma here. i have a 25gb mp3 collection and about 50 GB worth of video formated for my PSP. I have a 4 Gb memory stick in my PSP.

Before I leave home or on a business trip i DL a few movies and mp3's into my PSP. I never had the need to have my 25+ GB of MP3 with me same with my videos.

Usually i have about 3 Hours of music in my PSP + about 2 or 3 movies. that usually is enough to cover a 5 day trip. So why are people so upset about the touch only having 16GB? are you sitting at home watching video on your ipod?

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
i want the option to watch/listen to anything in my library when I'm out.

I dont want to have to plan ahead about what I think I'm going to want to watch/ listen to.

It's not about listening to/watching everything, it's about listening to/watching anything.

but then again, i guess it kinda works out, i really wouldnt have been able to afford a full capacity touch right now...

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
i cant see wheres the problem with the 16gb FLASH memory in the new iPod touch??
its FLASH memory and cant go larger than that...
its lighter than the ipod classic which got an HDD!
im going to get a 16gb ipod touch,and put all the music that i LISTEN to not all the music that i HAVE.
and plus all my videos..i know it will be enough!
the huge screen worth it and safari/youtube is VERY cool..watching videos and checking my mail and forums everywhere from my bed to the mall and airports...its lighter and smaller than the iphone! so why call it new iPhone?! some people did!

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
One thing I don't quite get is the product line of the iPods.
Somehow it seems like Apple is cannibalizing (is this a word?) on their very own customers. The iPod touch is nice but is it really necessary to have it besides the iPod classic or the iPhone? in my opinion Apple has one or two iPod models that are really not necessary.

byakuya

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Why don't you just analyze whether or not you actually need 50 gigs of video with you at all times. Just think about what you want to watch the next time you use it and put that on. I'm by my computer several times throughout the day, as I go in and out from classes. I can just pop whatever I want onto it. I understand it's nice to have everything with you at all times, but it's really not necessary at all.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Why don't you just analyze whether or not you actually need 50 gigs of video with you at all times. Just think about what you want to watch the next time you use it and put that on. I'm by my computer several times throughout the day, as I go in and out from classes. I can just pop whatever I want onto it. I understand it's nice to have everything with you at all times, but it's reallyof people not necessary at all.

I agree, i also don't think that apple is cannibalizing anything.

people need to understand that it's not about just one demographic its about
what would sell the most across many. business users cannot use iphone because of their IT and support for mail technology, but i bet you that any of them would love to have a ipod touch. Others do not have the option to get and iphone because they have a conract or because of coverage.

Other will go for the ipod classic because of the storage space while other will
welcome to simple interface and video option the nano now offers.

in the end all they are doing is spreading their product to try and cover a larger demographic. They do not care if they sell a nano or a ipod touch, all they care about is been able to offer people what they want so that they have a sale and not somebody that will go with another brand.

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
My 3G died this week

I'm sticking with my 3G until the iPodTouch becomes 32GB...

I, too, had been thinking I was perfectly happy with my 15 GB 3G iPod, and then it died and I borrowed my wife's 1G shuffle, and then this update came out and I don't know what to do. I love the simplicity of the shuffle, but the capacity of my old iPod (my library is only about 40 GB, but I don't mind taking a reduced library on the road with me) is pretty nice, and the technology of the touch is pretty sweet (I'm in Canada, so the iPhone isn't an option). What to do, what to do?

Anyone know if the student rebate applies to any of the new iPod offerings? That might sway my decision...

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
It's not about listening to/watching everything, it's about listening to/watching anything.

Are you saying you have 2000+ 3 star or better songs? Happy, sad, country, rock, reggae, R&B, psychodellic, invisible?

What I'm going to be doing is going on a rating fest and have the iPod Touch sort all the good stuff in there. I think 2000 can hold me over.

Anyone know if the student rebate applies to any of the new iPod offerings? That might sway my decision...

No, they stopped that a long time ago.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
You all must put a hell of a lot of video on your iPods. I'm in the process of converting an anime series to iPhone size and the whole 26 episodes is coming out to 2.5gb.

How much video do you guys need?

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Here's my question, and i appologize if this is answered on other forums, but how big is the average (ripped) '1 hr' TV ep from a dvd? and how many could fit in 8gb (splitting a 16 in half for video and mp3s). If i could get @least 10 good eps than i would be GOLD! but my fear is then having to trade off video for songs.

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Yeah. I would having the same issue as you if I didn't get the iPhone. The iPhone taught me how to make a 80 gb iTunes Library into 8 gbs. If you don't have the space to put all the stuff you have you'll find you will adapt I thought I would never be able to use the iPhone as my main iPod but in the last 2 months I haven't used my 80 gb for more then 10 minutes. While its always nice to have you're entire library with you, you don't really need it no matter what you say now. Between the Classic and the Touch I say touch all the way.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
Googlieyed

its a double edge with me i like all the refresh, i have currently a 8 gig nano black 30 gig video black 80 gig video black, im revamping them all witha 160 black classic a 8 gig mint nano, and im not sure what im going to do with the left over $ i love the iPod touch but since the iPhone drop in price im waiting out and going to get the iPhone..

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
You all must put a hell of a lot of video on your iPods. I'm in the process of converting an anime series to iPhone size and the whole 26 episodes is coming out to 2.5gb.

How much video do you guys need?

Program: What do you use?
I'm trying FFMPEGX and failing, miserably.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
Are you saying you have 2000+ 3 star or better songs? Happy, sad, country, rock, reggae, R&B, psychodellic, invisible?

no, but sometimes while im at school or whatever I feel like listening to a particular album or song or whatever, and it's not available because I didn't think I would want to listen to it ahead of time.

I'm not always wanting to listen to just a playlist of all my favorite songs, sometimes I wanna listen to a whole album or an artist I havent listened to in a while.

I can't believe i'm arguing here why someone would want their whole library on hand.

Another huge reason is for movies. If I wanna have all my episodes of a certain tv show or all my movies, then 160gb is perfect, but it's not that great watching them on the small classic screen. I'd love to watch any of my videos/tv shows on the widescreen ipod touch, but it just doesn't have the space to hold a large number of them. And most of the time when I'm syncing my ipod in the morning, I dont know exactly what particular episode or movie I'll want to watch later on in the day.

danysl

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
So apple tries to please most customers but some have unrealistic expectations...

People wanted a touchscreen and more hard drive space, and they got it !!!

An ipod with a touchscreen, wireless and a flash drive could not be thinner than the old ipod and still have 100+GBs, please... this is madness! And if it did it would cost a whole lot more.

Let me just finishe this saying: there is an ipod for everyone, buy the one that fits you, or buy a Zune.

beaker26

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Say Apple would of put a 120, or 160 GB hard drive in the Touch. Do you realize HOW big, and how horrible the battery would be? The size would be the 160GB + Touch Size + Huge Battery to try to get the thing to 5 hours of Audio. The Touch and Classic have an Audio difference of 8 hours, and play video for the same time. I think the thing would be at least 4th Gen iPod size at least. How sweet would that look? I'm sure Apple could of delivered on that size in flash for $15k.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Wow, I realized that the people who ordered the new iPods today have a LOT of brand loyalty. I placed an order for a touch without even seeing one! Somehow, I trust apple haha.

It's all about brand loyalty...the average person will buy an mp3 player every few years from now on. I don't think I'll ever buy a music player that isn't an ipod. they just have so much brand recognition.

beaporwoll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
So apple tries to please most customers but some have unrealistic expectations...

People wanted a touchscreen and more hard drive space, and they got it !!!

An ipod with a touchscreen, wireless and a flash drive could not be thinner than the old ipod and still have 100+GBs, please... this is madness! And if it did it would cost a whole lot more.

Ok can we get them BOTH combined?? I stood in line an forked out $600 for an iPhone as did a lot of people.
The iPod is the best selling digital music player so why not make an 60gb or bigger iPod touch. They made a super 24" iMac. Can't they do the same for their iPod line.
I have an 80 gb 5th gen iPod but the touch screen/widescreen on my iPhone would have convinced me to get an iPod touch. But 16gb is not gonna convince me to get one. I've already scaled down my library to fit stuff on my iPhone. I want my WHOLE library with me in full screen.
I won't buy one until it get's to 60gb. It will be worth the cost.
And since it runs OS X I'm sure Apple will somehow get the most out of the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.