Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Linky

"Unfortunately, tasks like Cover Flow ran about as (un)smoothly as on the nano, so if you're expecting a fully iPhone-like experience, don't get your hopes up."

I was just about to hit the 'buy' button to replace my 30GB 5th gen.

I guess I'll just have to wait to see it at a local Apple reseller with all the album art loaded up. I'm sure it's nothing hardware-based and will be fixed via a software update soon.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I'm sure it's nothing hardware-based and will be fixed via a software update soon.
If it lags, I would believe it's indeed due to the hardware not being fast enough to display it smoothly. Unless Apple implemented the CoverFlow feature really bad on the nano/classic.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Well, they might be able to increase the compression of the album art so that it displays more smoothly.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Well, they might be able to increase the compression of the album art so that it displays more smoothly.
Actually, if they increase the compression, it would be even slower (since the decompression work would be even heavier).

I too hope that it'll be smooth though, can't wait to get my hands on a 160GB classic :) (or a 16GB touch, can't decide!).

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Actually, if they increase the compression, it would be even slower (since the decompression work would be even heavier).

I too hope that it'll be smooth though, can't wait to get my hands on a 160GB classic :) (or a 16GB touch, can't decide!).

Perhaps he meant they increase the decompression on the computer/itunes side of things, so the art that is transfered to the iPod is lower quality [edit: i'm not saying "compression" in zip/rar sense of the word, I'm really talking about a lower quality file that is smaller and less complex]. They could still have the full quality version of the artwork on the iPod for the "now playing" screen, but they'd just decrease the coverflow quality.

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Perhaps he meant they increase the decompression on the computer/itunes side of things, so the art that is transfered to the iPod is lower quality [edit: i'm not saying "compression" in zip/rar sense of the word, I'm really talking about a lower quality file that is smaller and less complex]. They could still have the full quality version of the artwork on the iPod for the "now playing" screen, but they'd just decrease the coverflow quality.
Yeah, that makes much more sense :p. I don't know what I was thinking :confused:.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Yeah, I did mean lower quality coverflow images.

I have my finger on that 'Buy' button... But I think I might just pick it up at Best Buy and skip the shipping wait... ohh the temptation..

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Linky

"Unfortunately, tasks like Cover Flow ran about as (un)smoothly as on the nano, so if you're expecting a fully iPhone-like experience, don't get your hopes up."

I was just about to hit the 'buy' button to replace my 30GB 5th gen.

I guess I'll just have to wait to see it at a local Apple reseller with all the album art loaded up. I'm sure it's nothing hardware-based and will be fixed via a software update soon.

Watch the videos on the apple site, its not really laggy, it just seems at a lower framerate then the desktop iTunes coverflow. http://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/features.html

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, I did mean lower quality coverflow images.

I have my finger on that 'Buy' button... But I think I might just pick it up at Best Buy and skip the shipping wait... ohh the temptation..

I'll drive to the Apple store as soon as the Touch is released :).

Also, I noticed your friend code in your sig... I'm, selling my Wii to buy the Touch :(.

<derail>I just don't play my Wii enough to justify the cost, so I'm selling it while they are still easy to sell. I play my DS WAY more than my Wii. Sounds sad, but I'm almost too lazy to play the Wii, plus all the games I've played for it seem too easy. Zelda was pretty good (though I never bear it), Paper Mario was waaaay to easy, etc </derail>

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005

go 160 all the way i am, and im just going to wait to get a iPhone..

i'm sure this has been discussed in the past but!, can you partition a iPod like say i had the 160 gig and i want to use 120 for ipod and the rest as a emergency drive with OSX installed on it? this possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.