Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daverso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
So, here's my dilemma.
I really want an iPod Touch, but I have well over 60 gigs worth of music and video's in my itunes library. This is an obvious problem, as the touch is maxed out at 16 gigs.
I read something somewhere about a 'God Pod,' it obviously does not exist, but it's a great idea. When do you think the iPod touch will be something capable of storing over 60 gigs worth of data? Will it remain flash based storage only?

Also, will a cover flow update be available for 5/5.5g ipods?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I would give HDD iPodTouch a chance, which might just come out in 6 months.

there is no chance of cover flow officially going backward-compatible. Business is business.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Apple is testing the market with the iPod Touch.

If sales are strong, I would image that we will see hard drive based iPod Touches in the future and the iPod Classic phased out.

So the future lineup might be:

- Shuffle (Similar to today's version.)

- iPod Nano (Similar to today's version.)

- iPod Touch
16GB & 32GB flash (very thin like today)

80GB & 160GB HD based (thicker like the iPod Classic)​

- iPod Classic (No longer available.)

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
iPod touch hdd version will, if it comes, probably come next year around this time

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Apple is testing the market with the iPod Touch.

If sales are strong, I would image that we will see hard drive based iPod Touches in the future and the iPod Classic phased out.

So the future lineup might be:

- Shuffle (Similar to today's version.)

- iPod Nano (Similar to today's version.)

- iPod Touch
16GB & 32GB flash (very thin like today)

80GB & 160GB HD based (thicker like the iPod Classic)​

- iPod Classic (No longer available.)

I have to agree, theres no way that cover flow will be available on the current iPods, or else there would be less reason for you to buy a new one.

Hopefully they bring in a new touch iPod as suggested above, and whats keeping the touchPods from having anything but flash?

2 - Touch = flash based only

Is it something to do with how fast it has to access the OS software? And if so, couldn;t they make a hybrid flash/HD iPod?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Hopefully they bring in a new touch iPod as suggested above, and whats keeping the touchPods from having anything but flash?

Is it something to do with how fast it has to access the OS software? And if so, couldn;t they make a hybrid flash/HD iPod?
I did not suggest that, so I will let the person who did respond.

The beautiful thing about the Touch is how thin it is. Hard Drive based iPods are much thicker. Thin is nice. That is why I think that the Touch and Classic lines will merge down the road provided customers find the Touch interface better than the click wheel version.

I am sure that Apple will be monitoring the iPod Touch sales very closely.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Besides the incentive to buy a new one, the new ipods run on a completely different OS than the old ones. So adding coverflow to the old ones would require completely porting it to different hardware instead of a simple update with the same software.

I don't think we'll ever see a HD based touch. I'm sure Jobs wants to get rid of hard drives as soon as he can, and the classic is just something to tide over the niche that wants that much space until they are able to up flash capacities.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Sorry to get a bit off topic but after all these years of making ipods, can't Apple make a better battery for their new line? I mean, the touch ipod has the same battery life for movie playback as the nano and less music playing time than the nano. Can't they use a bigger battery that would give even just 3-5 extra hours?

flying dog

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I see Apple as moving their storage philosophy for the entire ipod line to flash. It's not a question of can the but would they. The company sees it as the future, so there's the reason for the migration. Apparently they're using the classic ipod version as an interim step as flash memory still isn't at the right price to switch over all models yet, and second as a niche product for those who want more storage above all else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.