Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
I have 10.3.9. I guess they decided only the newest Mac purchasers get to use the new ipods. Sort of sucks to bring the thing home, plug it in, and be denied. Now I have to decide if I want to pay $20 to return it, or put it on ebay.

You know they could make it compatible with my OS if they wanted to. They just don't want to, because they think they can force me to update to a new OS this way.

Is it my fault for not asking more questions at the store about whether it would work with my computer? Honestly, I bought into the hype of "it's a mac - stuff just works." I guess that line holds true for printers and cameras, but not with products actually made by Apple.

:mad:

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Okay, breathe, Leopard is just around the corner. If I can go without an iPod for 6-8 weeks, you can too, sure it's an inconvenience, but then again, any time now, Apple will be dropping security updates for Panther too. Just wait until Leopard, you'll be fine. Seriously.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Or maybe I should upgrade to Windows, since Apple thinks they can mess with me.

They are not "messing" with you...

I have never heard some one say "What the heck man, why can't I use my Zune with windows 98..."

You have an OLD OS... Over 2 years old in fact...

Just wait and buy Leopard..

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
I'm not paying for a new OS to use a product I just bought. The OS I have works just fine, and the only reason they decided not to make the ipod compatible is because they think they can force me to spend more money. Doesn't work that way for me - I'm not a fanboy with unwavering brand loyalty.

If they want to push me away with greedy tactics like this, that's a choice they're free to make. I'm sure they calculated the risks and decided that they would lose a few angry customers but force a few more to pay extra money.

You have an OLD OS... Over 2 years old in fact...
How old is Windows XP?

Only the newest? The very first Mac I bought over two years ago came with 10.4?! :rolleyes:
Is 10.4 the most current OS or is it not?

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
My wife has 10.4, so I use it all the time, and I honestly can't name a single difference other than widgets, which I don't care about even slightly. Why should I pay $80 for fricking widgets??? Yeah I know there are 10 million hidden features or whatever, but if I can't tell what they are while going back and forth between the two systems, they aren't that important.

Windows XP was released in 2001, and Apple decided to support that. It's clear that I will get better support from Apple if I buy a PC, so I will not rule that out for my next purchase.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Erm, buy Leopard? Seriously, at least go to a current (in security updates) OS, Panther will be cut from security updates very soon..

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Apple has only ever supported 2 OS versions at once. So for these new iPods that means Tiger and Leopard. They will also stop updating Panther after Leopard is released so it only makes sense that the new iPods are for Tiger or Leopard. The only reason XP is still supported is because of the 3 year delay that was Vista. If it had come out in 2003 like what was originally planned then they might have dropped XP support by now also. Vista only came out in 2006 so of course they have to support XP.

Garrett

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
Adamcz, before making you purchase you sure didn't take into effect the system version you needed:
Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later
iTunes 7.4 or later
So I don't feel any sorrow for you, did you think of the 1 feature out of the 10,000,000 to do something for the updating of the iPod, or supporting it?

Maybe you should rethink the thread title: Doh! My new nano won't work with my unsupported mac!

Sorry to come as the *******, but you just seem to have asked for it.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
I'm going to buy a Zune.

good. can I hold onto your ipod in the mean time, I will work a little like a pawn shop. Only 20% when you want it back, dont worry, I'll never take it out of the package.

Have fun making the zune work with your mac, then again you could always buy a new PC. $800 for a pc box, thats cheeper than a mac os update, rite?

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
Adamcz, before making you purchase you sure didn't take into effect the system version you needed:
No I didn't, and there are a couple reasons for that. The biggest by far is that Mac claims over and over again that they just work. You buy stuff, plug it in, and it works. The last thing going through my head at the store was asking if the thing was compatible with my Mac, which isn't that old, and has the second most recent OS.

The other thing is that they don't have the system requirements on display anywhere in the store. They keep the boxes behind the checkout and I never once touched it before I bought it. The cashier put it straight into the bag.

I've been using Mac products since 1999, and have never needed to ask about compatibility. I thought for sure that ipods were compatible with all computers.

Sorry to come as the *******, but you just seem to have asked for it.
If only I had known to buy a windows computer, this thread wouldn't exist, because it would be supported.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2003
$800 for a pc box, thats cheeper than a mac os update, rite?
Clever sarcasm, but a new mac OS is just a fee to pay to use the ipod, and widgets. It does nothing else.

If I buy a new PC, then I've got all new hardware and compatibility with all sorts of software that doesn't work on this mac. Do I really want to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new computer as a fee for using an ipod?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Clever sarcasm, but a new mac OS is just a fee to pay to use the ipod, and widgets. It does nothing else.

If I buy a new PC, then I've got all new hardware and compatibility with all sorts of software that doesn't work on this mac. Do I really want to pay 10% of the cost of a brand new computer as a fee for using an ipod?

So, you're running an operating system that is 4 years old and was replaced 2 and a half years ago, and you just presumed that some brand new hardware would work, and somehow it's apple's fault?

You've made the choice not to upgrade, so you have to live with the fact that the latest and greatest software/hardware might not be supported.

To quote you from another thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3662262#post3662262

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Tiger is the latest OS. Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. XP is supported.

WTF? This is just Apple looking to make $$$ off of people who wouldn't otherwise upgrade. It's not like Panther can't work with the new iPod, it just needs the appropriate driver support. This is Apple being greedy, plain and simple. I don't get why everyone is defending apple for not supporting their current gen -1 OS.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Tiger is the latest OS. | Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. | XP is supported.

WTF? This is just Apple looking to make $$$ off of people who wouldn't otherwise upgrade. It's not like Panther can't work with the new iPod, it just needs the appropriate driver support. This is Apple being greedy, plain and simple. I don't get why everyone is defending apple for not supporting their current gen -1 OS.

XP was only replaced 8 months ago, Panther was replaced 2 and a half years ago, and it's replacement is about to be replaced.

Plus, XP is still the dominant Windows OS, whereas Panther is nowhere near the dominant Apple OS.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Tiger is the latest OS. Vista is the latest OS.
Panther is not supported. XP is supported.

You honestly pretend like Leopard isn't taking the lions share of Apple's resources at the moment? :rolleyes::eek:

10.5 = Vista
10.4 = XP
10.3 = Windows ME

They couldn't freaking get the iPhone out the door on time without delaying Leopard.

Why on EARTH would they spend their resources updating an OS that very few people are using just to support a new product?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.