Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005

Like the good little fangirl I am, I got the "Beat goes on…." announcement updates through Twitter sent straight to my two-month old iPhone. Neato. Great job, y'all.

The iPod Touch seems like a great answer to the iPhone if you hate AT&T or don't want to break your current contract. Yes, the lack of camera kinda stinks, if you were to want to photoblog while out of your house, but it's just an iPod, no biggie. It's still a freaking MP3 player with Wifi; not crippled Zune-esque only-able-to-do-about-3-things wifi, but actual, functioning Wifi. Pretty neat. Yes, 16 gigs may be too small for some of you, but do you really need to carry all of your music all of the time?

Read Full Article

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Wow

Your caned rant is pathetic. All you have done is reiterate a bunch of non-relevant analogies. Yes the price of gas, milk and etc fluctuates, but not the cost of Apple products. I can't remember the last time Apple up and dropped the price of any of their premium products after two month.

Plus if you had shelled out $600 of your own hard earned money you may be in a different boat. Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma. What was done was just plain wrong, and Steve's (I wipe my ass with your $200) Jobs has obviously realized this.

P.S. I forgot to address your New car fact When I buy a new car I expect the depreciation. it's not a big secret unlike the iPhone price reduction.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Your caned rant is pathetic. All you have done is reiterate a bunch of non-relevant analogies. Yes the price of gas, milk and etc fluctuates, but not the cost of Apple products. I can't remember the last time Apple up and dropped the price of any of their premium products after two month.

Plus if you had shelled out $600 of your own hard earned money you may be in a different boat. Take your head out of Apples holly butt and join the rest of us on terra firma. What was done was just plain wrong, and Steve's (I wipe my ass with your $200) Jobs has obviously realized this.

wow, you joined just to say that. Interesting. Well, at least you were mature and elegant about your differing opinion. I love how you stated your views and backed it up with detail and proof on your own. Good job and very intellectual. Now, can I have my 200 brain cells back?

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
wow, you joined just to say that. Interesting. Well, at least you were mature and elegant about your differing opinion. I love how you stated your views and backed it up with detail and proof on your own. Good job and very intellectual. Now, can I have my 200 brain cells back?

lmao drater. That's great. I know you were being sarcastic, but I agree. Wow what a pointless post and reason to join.

I actually got an iPhone today at its new price point. I'm experiencing the activation woes that everyone did two months ago... though I find it odd because I was on ATT already. Maybe me being on a family plan before complicates things? I doubt it because I had them split me off so I can start my own plan. It's been 5 or so hours since I started to try and activate my number.

BTW, katie, great post. I agree. People who are complaining about the $200 should just deal with it and not complain. I like your new car analogy. It makes sense.

That's all I really have to say. It's 2:30 AM, and I'm about to try and activate my phone again. If it doesn't work by 3 AM, I'm going to bed and trying again in the morning. I hope the reason why it's not working is the fact that I'm using USB 1.1... Hmm..

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
lmao drater. That's great. I know you were being sarcastic, but I agree. Wow what a pointless post and reason to join.

I actually got an iPhone today at its new price point. I'm experiencing the activation woes that everyone did two months ago... though I find it odd because I was on ATT already. Maybe me being on a family plan before complicates things? I doubt it because I had them split me off so I can start my own plan. It's been 5 or so hours since I started to try and activate my number.

BTW, katie, great post. I agree. People who are complaining about the $200 should just deal with it and not complain. I like your new car analogy. It makes sense.

That's all I really have to say. It's 2:30 AM, and I'm about to try and activate my phone again. If it doesn't work by 3 AM, I'm going to bed and trying again in the morning. I hope the reason why it's not working is the fact that I'm using USB 1.1... Hmm..

yeah, that's probably the reason. I would try the regular USB 2. Probably will help ya out.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
My two cents on this topic...

it was a dramatic drop, and I definitely see how the people who bought iPhones 15 days ago would be pissed.

And while I understand the frustration for the early adopters (day 1), I think those individuals should realize they are taking a leap of faith. If you can't handle price drops, feature improvements coming in the near future, being an early adopter might not be for you.

I think the $100 gift certificate is more than fair, but feel Apple might have handled it a little better.

And does Apple really wonder why people frequent rumor sites? It's exactly this scenario. No one wants to be caught off guard by a product update.

arn

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Price changes happen. I bought gas about 2 months ago for $2.70 a gallon, and now it's at $2.49. Am I calling Citgo and demanding that I get my $0.21/gallon back?

Katie - don't you mean you bought gas 2 months ago for $2.49? Lol...yeah, it's late, so I'll excuse it THIS time, lol.

- Fellow college student and proud iPhone owner

(ps which arn approved accessory are you gonna use your $100 for??)

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007

Last time I checked the price I paid for my dual quad has not dropped by 33% and yes it has been over two months. I would give you back the 200 brain cells reading my post cost you but that would put you at a surplus from where you started.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
If you bought your iPhone the day it came out, you're no worse off after the price drop. It's that simple.

rachaface

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
katie you're right on.

i mean, some would want the full 200 back, and apple would love to get 0 back so we get a compromise of 100 bucks that's more than fair i think. granted, i didnt think there would be a price change, but rather a ton of updates on their phone we wouldn't get. I dunno, i'm stoked for 100 bucks back. they're losing a ton of money on that.

Nanaki

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
In response to your shoes analogy:

Shoes go on clearance. Or they go on sale because new shoes are in, and the old shoes are out of season.

The iPhone is not on clearance. There is no new iPhone, the iPhone is not out of season.

This was a deliberately, clearly calculated effort to make some extra cash off of the very people that made Apple what it is today. You said yourself, Katie, that Apple owes you for all the times you've been a walking advertisement for them.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Comparing gas prices and iPhone prices is dumb. Gas is a known necessity that fluctuates daily and everyone knows it. Anything brand new in electronics is bound to go down in price. Most electronics do not go down 33% in price after only 60 some days. I expected the iPhone price cut eventually, I even talked about it with people around me in line. Not one of us predicted a $200 drop in the beginning of September. Most of us expected it around the start of 2008 and even then we only expect $100 drops.

Anyway, enough with that. I am very happy with the $100 credit from Apple. This is something they didn't have to do. I honestly didn't even expect them to do that. I think all people should be Happy with this. Nobody was ripped off, it was more of a feeling like betrayal than being ripped off. To me it just seemed like Apple had turned their back on loyal fans and didn't care about it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Katie - don't you mean you bought gas 2 months ago for $2.49? Lol...yeah, it's late, so I'll excuse it THIS time, lol.

No, she meant what she said. She paid more for it two months ago, and now it's cheaper. She'd like a refund because she clearly overpaid two months ago when it was more expensive.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
yeah, that's probably the reason. I would try the regular USB 2. Probably will help ya out.

I just went across the hall to my dad's MacBook Pro, and it gave me the same errors. I tried to register for the online monitoring or w/e (myWireless) and it freaking "locked" my account when it wasn't even created yet. WTF is that?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
The Motorola Razr was $499 the day it launched (16 nov 2004) On Jan 22, 2005.. you could get it for $339. What's that? A $160 price drop in 2 months.

Bloody whiners. Mobile phone pricing changes are much more dynamic than quad core processor pricing (like some earlier poster ridiculously compared earlier)

I hope Apple learns from this and keeps their price fixed from now on for a good 2 years instead of trying to introduce price cuts and piss off customers.

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
If you don't feel cheated

"I'll take my $100 gift card and get some Arn-approved iPhone accessories to play with."

If you felt you paid a fair price don't take the $100 gift card, hypocrite.

Cyberthato

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Spain
Last time I checked the price I paid for my dual quad has not dropped by 33% and yes it has been over two months. I would give you back the 200 brain cells reading my post cost you but that would put you at a surplus from where you started.

Please tell me you have actually bought a cell phone before, here's the catch "cell phones are subject to depreciation the same as cars" (actually worse). Now stop complaining, I would love to have the oportunity to have one of those, I found 600$ (600€ here I suppose, they just chance the money symbol) a reasonable price for a product that looks like the best and that noone has a guarantee of its success. So in this case you're not being an early adopter of a model, but of a brand. It's not the same to buy the first motorola V3 than to buy the first motorola you genious, in the first case there's almost no risk while in the second there is. When you bought the iPhone, you didn't buy "another" apple product, you bought the risk of being rejected by the cell phone market and if you being an early adopter can't understand that...

anyway I don't see why Steve has to give any store credit to anyone, nobody gave me a store credit when imac prices got down, or my ipod got upgraded and got it's price down. I paid a premium (twice, one for being in Europe and one for being an early adopter) and am happy to have done so for I've enjoyed my products, so just be happy with your phone and you store certificate.

beaporwoll

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Preach it Katie

Ok so I'm not the only one here who feels like Katie does.
So what if Apple reduced the price of the iPhone?? I don't feel cheated at all. I got one and am happy to own one. I could really care less that you got one for $200 less than I did. I had one first and I probably got you to purchase one by letting you see and use mine.
If you don't want the $100 rebate contact me and I'll gladly take it off your hands. If not just shut up and enjoy your iPhone and thank Apple for having generosity to give you $100 back.

Cyberthato

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Spain
"I'll take my $100 gift card and get some Arn-approved iPhone accessories to play with."

If you felt you paid a fair price don't take the $100 gift card, hypocrite.

so basically you're the kind of people that takes the gifts out of the cereal boxes and leave it there because you're aleready paying a fair price for the cereal? give me a break

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Please tell me you have actually bought a cell phone before, here's the catch "cell phones are subject to depreciation the same as cars" (actually worse). Now stop complaining, I would love to have the oportunity to have one of those, I found 600$ (600€ here I suppose, they just chance the money symbol) a reasonable price for a product that looks like the best and that noone has a guarantee of its success. So in this case you're not being an early adopter of a model, but of a brand. It's not the same to buy the first motorola V3 than to buy the first motorola you genious, in the first case there's almost no risk while in the second there is. When you bought the iPhone, you didn't buy "another" apple product, you bought the risk of being rejected by the cell phone market and if you being an early adopter can't understand that...

Yes I have bought a cell phone before. The iPhone is not typical for the cellular market. At some time or another you can expect a subsidy for the phone this was never the case for the iPhone. This being so most people expected the iPhone to follow common Apple MAP pricing policy.

so basically you're the kind of people that takes the gifts out of the cereal boxes and leave it there because you're aleready paying a fair price for the cereal? give me a break

Nice try that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The toy in the box was there when i bought the cereal. Not offered after the fact.

Cyberthato

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Spain
Yes I have bought a cell phone before. The iPhone is not typical for the cellular market. At some time or another you can expect a subsidy for the phone this was never the case for the iPhone. This being so most people expected the iPhone to follow common Apple MAP pricing policy.

yeah, it's not typical, that's why it was so high price tagged. It was a risk by apple side and by consumer side. Now see that the risk of loosing mayor amounths of money they can allow themselves the luxury of dropping the price AND thank it's early adopters with a store certificate.

Nice try that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. The toy in the box was there when i bought the cereal. Not offered after the fact.

I don't see the difference, I buy X cereal for Y price, one day I findthe same box with a gift, but there are still other boxes. I assume you take the ones without the price for it was already fair.

Nor download free upgrades to your programs, you already paid a fair price for the first version.

JDC55

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
I don't see the difference, I buy X cereal for Y price, one day I findthe same box with a gift, but there are still other boxes. I assume you take the ones without the price for it was already fair.

Nor download free upgrades to your programs, you already paid a fair price for the first version.

You need to stop posting. Both of the things you mentioned have no relevance what so ever.

No that is called depreciation. If you go back to buy another car the price will be the same for a new one.

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
wow

ok so, my 2c since I'm *not* new around here! The immaturity of this macrumors spin-off continues to amaze me. The analogies and pathetic justification of the price drop boggles the mind and the author's writing style ostensibly tries for cutesy but comes across as pompous and juvenile. If I wanted a lesson in market dynamics I would read the Economist.

We all have to deal with Apple's decision, but we don't have to like it, or think its fair. Why anyone would continue to read this worthless blog is beyond me, other than that it is features in Macrumors headlines as if it somehow contains groundbreaking info. imho it has outlived its usefullness now that information about the iphone usage is finally prevalent, as evidenced by its increasing focus on personal anecdotes rather than the iphone itself.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Katie,

Most of us who purchased this phone (and some of us bought more then one!) did so with the understanding we would be early adopters. The price drop only 68 days later on a electronic device is unheard of. The price of gas, milk or any other of those horrible analogies can't be taken seriously, because everyone fully expects the price of those things to fluctuate. Not the iPhone. This was a shock to everyone who actually PAID for their phones. Your age really shines through in your last post, and worldly wisdom from a 19 year old school girl with very minor life experience shouldn't lecture to people who actually worked and saved their money for this purchase.

Not trying to be a jerk, just stating an opinion.

kimkrause

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2006
iphone price reduction

boy people are sure a bunch of whiners. every time i buy a new computer a newer, cheaper faster one comes out the next month. i've never asked for a refund. the fact that a product can be offered at a cheaper price means it's doing well and more people will be able to get it. i loved the car analogy. just lost about 2000 bucks driving off the lot last month. the point is people are being thanked by apple by receiving a 200 buck coupon. that never happens in any other industry. so come on stop bitching because you jumped on the band wagon early. early adopters always pay the premium. remember when a 10 gig ipod was 400 bucks with a b&w screen and 6 hours of batterylife.
oh by the way i'm over 50 and found nothing juvenile about the young ladies opinion. if anything she has a very clear sense of the real world.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.