Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skull21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
For some reason I can't turn on TV out. If I click the action button, it remains at off. Is anyone else having this problem?

typecast.nz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
don't think classics support tv out through the headphone jack anymore, only through dock (can someone confirm/retort this). is this how you are trying to connect it?

autumnmike

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
What kinda of cord are you using? I wasn't sure. But for some odd reason i thought you need a ipod classic specific cord. Just curious.

autumnmike

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
don't think classics support tv out through the headphone jack anymore, only through dock (can someone confirm/retort this). is this how you are trying to connect it?

I know that you do need a 30-prong plug to do video in 480i. i never had a video ipod, so i dont' know how they connect. But yes, it is only video connect through pin connector, aka the bottom. The cord is 50 bucks, the dock is 50 bucks. i think you can just go straight cord to tv.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone with ANY of the new ipods get one of the new cables and try the video out yet?

And has anyone with a new one tried a video at the new higher setting?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks for the link. Odd that it doesn't mention the touch since the apple store says it's supported. Maybe it's just limited to shipping models so far?

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
The article says the old universal dock works though...

from the article
Testing results with old accessories have been mixed, but largely negative. iLounge has tested the new iPods with Apple’s Universal Dock and iPod Hi-Fi, both of which unlock the TV Out option—even though the Hi-Fi has no video out feature. We have also confirmed that the new iPods do not work in popular portable video displays such as the Memorex iFlip and Sonic Impact Video-55, or most speakers with video output capabilities. One notable third-party exception is Bowers and Wilkins’ recent $600 speaker system Zeppelin, which appears to contain an authentication chip and have been assisted during development by Apple, unlike its lower-priced peers.

that maybe but these types of devices are a no-go

takaogui

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
hi, i have a question, i got a classic (coming tomorrow) and today i bought a universal dock (that didn't came with av cable), so, since i already own a product with the chip can i buy a ordinary av cable for ipod or do i need the "official" av cable aswell?
thanks

cesto

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
i just got a 80 gig classic and the tv out option allows me to choose between on off and ask...

my question is what kind of cable should i get...

dos it connect through the ipod connector via usb because the ipod link above shows just component or composite with usb end...

i am confused help me please...

anybody with classic and has this worked?

gswyckoff

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
i just got a 80 gig classic and the tv out option allows me to choose between on off and ask...

my question is what kind of cable should i get...

dos it connect through the ipod connector via usb because the ipod link above shows just component or composite with usb end...

i am confused help me please...

anybody with classic and has this worked?

The simple answer is the Apple AV cable accessory which is like $50. However, if you are like me with a third party portable video player, mine is the Sonic Impact V55, then the current firmware version does not allow the TV out to work. I am in the process of finding/downloading the 1.0.2 version firmware that will supposedly allow this function to work. The AV cable for an additional $50 annoys me. Plus it prevents the nice streamlined interface for the player docking.

Hope this helps.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

You are correct; on my 4th, 5th gen iPods, I could use my headphones' jack and plug in the A/V out cable from there. The Classic version requires a dock connector; there is even the icon there than says I have to use the dock connector.

gswyckoff

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
No dock

You are correct; on my 4th, 5th gen iPods, I could use my headphones' jack and plug in the A/V out cable from there. The Classic version requires a dock connector; there is even the icon there than says I have to use the dock connector.

I believe there is a new AV cable that simply plugs into the bottom of the iPod Classic. No Dock.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I believe there is a new AV cable that simply plugs into the bottom of the iPod Classic. No Dock.

Well you want plug it into the dock. I checked it out at the store; you can do one of two things: plug it in directly, it comes with component and audio cables and a USB plug; or you can plug it into the dock. It's not any difference. You're paying $50 for the dock that really does nothing; and $50 for the A/V cable.

RobK7

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Well you want plug it into the dock. I checked it out at the store; you can do one of two things: plug it in directly, it comes with component and audio cables and a USB plug; or you can plug it into the dock. It's not any difference. You're paying $50 for the dock that really does nothing; and $50 for the A/V cable.

$100 to plug it into the tv??????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.