Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
Anyone have any ideas on what type of video the itouch will be able to play? I download many naruto episodes via bittorrent at dattebayo site. Yes I'm a 35 year old anime fan. I watch them on windows media player. If I transfer them to the itouch will I be able to view them without any problems?

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Anyone have any ideas on what type of video the itouch will be able to play? I download many naruto episodes via bittorrent at dattebayo site. Yes I'm a 35 year old anime fan. I watch them on windows media player. If I transfer them to the itouch will I be able to view them without any problems?

What's an iTouch? Is that like an iPod touch? :)

From Apple'siPod touch tech specs page:

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
your video format is not officially supported, you need to
1. convert them
2. if apple were to open their clotted head miraculously, they might officially support 3rd party apps natively on iPod Touch, at that time, you can probably watch any format of videos (not DRMed) with some 3rd party apps, (such as TCPMP@Palm)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

How about this? If you embed those shows onto a web page, could you not watch/stream WMV files from Safari? Does iPhone/iPodtouch have a Flip4Mac plug in for Safari?

Downsides - questionable legality issues, must be on wi-fi, may not be full-screen

Upsides - no converting

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
How about this? If you embed those shows onto a web page, could you not watch/stream WMV files from Safari? Does iPhone/iPodtouch have a Flip4Mac plug in for Safari?

Downsides - questionable legality issues, must be on wi-fi, may not be full-screen

Upsides - no converting

no, I doubt that will happen.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
What do you doubt will happen? Is Flip4Mac available for iPhone/iPodtouch Safari?

ft

oh, sorry, I meant the whole concept of mobile safari playing embeded wmv(or video). I think there are difficulties from technology side.

Let me know if Im wrong.

PS. also this is not a solution for OP's problem, he needs to play local files, not network streaming videos

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

Invest $25 in a good video converter (I'm using VisualHub, which I quite like, to transcode all my anime) and you'll be able to output it to a perfectly-formatted iPhone-sized h.264 mp4 file with the touch of a button.

iSquint may work too, but I dunno.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
PS. also this is not a solution for OP's problem, he needs to play local files, not network streaming videos

While it was not a direct solution to his original question, I was proposing a different suggestion for his ultimate goal ... which is to watch some video with the iPhone/iPodtouch.

The OP's original intent stated that he would transfer the videos from his computer to the iPod, but he never really stated if he was going to watch these videos outside of wifi presence. Which is why I suggested this method. I also stated that a downside was that you would need to be connected via wifi for this to work.

It's similar to the way YouTube works on the iPhone/iPodtouch.

Anyways, perhaps it's a moot point if mobile Safari can't play embedded videos from webpages, or at least embedded WMV files. It would be a strike against Apple's claim that mobile Safari isn't a stripped down version.

ft

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
What if you load the video's to youtube? Would you be able to view them over the touch. Or are they still hand picking the ones that get converted?

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
Invest $25 in a good video converter (I'm using VisualHub, which I quite like, to transcode all my anime) and you'll be able to output it to a perfectly-formatted iPhone-sized h.264 mp4 file with the touch of a button.

iSquint may work too, but I dunno.

How does Popcorn 2.0 or 3.0 work doing this? Is it just as good?

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
What if you load the video's to youtube? Would you be able to view them over the touch. Or are they still hand picking the ones that get converted?

"Please, sue me!!" :rolleyes:

For a non-pay converter, try FFMPEG (pretty user/novice-unfriendly).

Or you could, y'know, actually buy the DVDs then rip & convert using the guide here at MR. (I retract the comment if these are "legit," i.e. unreleased/fansub, torrents)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

a simple joy of a movie shouldn't become a torture

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Why wouldn't someone just use VisualHub to convert their movies, of almost any format, to a pre-made iPod touch format??

It works wonders.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Return the touch and get something that supports the files but is similar to the touch? I assume the files are in divx or xvid format? It be easier in some aspects just to convert it and you can even save money. That is if you do not want to deal with converting the files you have and all the files you will get later on.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Ah good, I'd just resorted to Videora on the PC for converting my Naruto episodes (though it'll probably be quicker than my aging G4 powerbook anyway).

VisualHub looks excellent - nice to see a Mac solution that doesn't rely on Quicktime supporting the file like 99.99% of the others do (as I've yet to get Quictime to play any of the DB Naruto eps even with the xvid component)

P.S. I'm glad you're 35, makes me feel better about watching anime at 25 ;)

Davecuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Video format for I touch

I have downloaded a great free app from red kawa called videora. This seems to convert most formats ,divx,ago etc into mp4 and sizes them for the iphone and touch it is fully compatible and easy to use. Also the BBC I player works fine on the I touch direct. From the web site

Davecuk

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Stream video itouch

I understand there is an app on app store that allows you to control your home of from over the net allowing for a decent home broadband speed you will be able to stream web video flash on the touch from sites such as movie6.net, and download movies from the same site or piratebay.org the best software I have found to transfer streamed web video and audio in high quality by grab. Is camesta studio but it only saves in avi so you need to use software to port to itouch or mp4 see previous post for that shareware app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.