Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Does the touch have...

1. Instant search (a no-brainer with the keyboard)
2. Notes function
3. Games (the basic ones)
4. Screen Lock
5. Stopwatch

?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Does the touch have...

2. Notes function
4. Screen Lock
5. Stopwatch

?
1. yes
2. It wasn't mentioned. so as of now, it's a no. But I think that Apple will sell apps like that from iTunes for the touch. If not, someone will hack it off of the iPhone.
3. There will be games for it.
4. Yes.
5. I think that there's a stopwatch in the iPhone's clock widget, but I may be wrong (correct me if I am). If that's right, than it should be the same on the touch.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Does the touch have...

2. Notes function
4. Screen Lock
5. Stopwatch

?

Don't kid yourself..

I could make a list a mile long of features the touch has and the classic does not.

jones14

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2007
Your reasoning is completely irrelevant to anything, the classic is worth nothing more than music and the occasional video, the touch does much more, it may not hold as much but that is about as much of an issue as not having screen lock for most people.

Does the classic have...

1. Wi-Fi
2. Touchscreen
3. Widescreen
4. A flash drive (That is a plus for me)
5. Multi-touch

Mine are real, usefull features, but go along with the theme of worthless and irrelevant features I'll add another

6. Calculator (Ha!)

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
1. yes
2. It wasn't mentioned. so as of now, it's a no. But I think that Apple will sell apps like that from iTunes for the touch. If not, someone will hack it off of the iPhone.
4. Yes.
5. I think that there's a stopwatch in the iPhone's clock widget, but I may be wrong (correct me if I am). If that's right, than it should be the same on the touch.
1. Can you show proof? On all the videos of the touch interface, I can't see a search button anywhere, even on the 'More' section of the Music and Videos section. There should really be a global search field on the home screen.

And I think this screenshot http://www.engadget.com/photos/ipod-touch-first-hands-on/382913/ is of the iTunes store search...

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
There are two reasons to go with the classic and one is solved with the nano.

1. Capacity 80 or 160 GB is almost obscene .

2. Physical Controls that are easy to use while not looking at the device.

And as I said the Nano has the second one. Physical controls are good while driving.

Out...

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

The iPhone doesn't have search. I cant imagine baby brother ipod touch does either. Of course I may have missed it, but I tend to doubt that.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
The iPhone doesn't have search. I cant imagine baby brother ipod touch does either. Of course I may have missed it, but I tend to doubt that.
Ok, then. Thanks for clearing that up. I just thought that I remembered playing with an iPhone at the Apple store and seeing a search button. Since you own one, you should know better.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Here's a quick mockup I just made of a possible search function on iPod.
ipod-spotlight.jpg

I religiously use the instant search function to find my music on iTunes, and it's a real no-brainer for me to bring it front-and-center to iPod. It might be a bit overkill for an iPhone, but I think since iPod is such a media-centered device, this would work well.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Your reasoning is completely irrelevant to anything, the classic is worth nothing more than music and the occasional video, the touch does much more, it may not hold as much but that is about as much of an issue as not having screen lock for most people.

Does the classic have...

1. Wi-Fi
2. Touchscreen
3. Widescreen
4. A flash drive (That is a plus for me)
5. Multi-touch

Mine are real, usefull features, but go along with the theme of worthless and irrelevant features I'll add another

6. Calculator (Ha!)
Just because you don't need the classic, doesn't mean other's dont. Some need a lot of storage. Some really really like their movies and must have them with them at all times. Some don't like touch screens, and like the original iPod interface. I'm in the later, I never have liked touch screens, but I don't need more then 5 GB of storage and only watch the ocassinal movie, so the nano is good for me.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
1. yes
4. Yes.

Why should we have to pay for apps for the touch? You don't pay extra to have things like note pad and mail when buy a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.