Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Is it plastic like its predecessors? It doesn't include a slip cover does it? Should I use the little silicon (Or whatever its made out of) slip cover that came with my 5th gen iPod?

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Semi-offtopic:

I know you posted in another thread asking if the display was covered with glass or plastic. Did you find out which it was?

maxjg

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Talked to an Apple sales rep, they said glass, so I'd assume about the same scratch resistance as an iPhone. But you know what they say about the word assume.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I'm not quite sure its glass. Anyway, I put some Novus #1 plastic polish on it which makes the screen more scratch/fingerprint resistant and more vibrant. Too bad they used the chrome back again, I've had mine for 2 days and its already scratched to hell, it's terrible.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
I'm not quite sure its glass. Anyway, I put some Novus #1 plastic polish on it which makes the screen more scratch/fingerprint resistant and more vibrant. Too bad they used the chrome back again, I've had mine for 2 days and its already scratched to hell, it's terrible.

Glass breaks, plastic bends. An iPod is almost as likely to be dropped as scratched, so a glass screen doesn't make as much sense as it would on a computer like the iMac. And it doesn't make as much sense as plastic on an iPod.

Even so, is there a definitive answer as to whether the screen is plastic or glass? (I don't believe a single word that comes out of any Apple sales rep's mouth; I've been lied to by those folks way too many times in the past.)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Glass breaks, plastic bends. An iPod is almost as likely to be dropped as scratched, so a glass screen doesn't make as much sense as it would on a computer like the iMac. And it doesn't make as much sense as plastic on an iPod.

Even so, is there a definitive answer as to whether the screen is plastic or glass? (I don't believe a single word that comes out of any Apple sales rep's mouth; I've been lied to by those folks way too many times in the past.)

Then why would the iPhone be glass? A phone is just as likely to be dropped ;)

It's not normal glass that you are thinking of, it is some special kind that doesn't shatter instantly when dropped. Someone can probably describe it in more detail than that though :p

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I think it's the same glass that is on the Razr's front. It's scratch resistant (had mine for almost two years and still no scratches) and very crack resistant (I have dropped mine waaay too many times, to the point of my battery falling out numerous times - it's odd cuz I have never dropped the phone in the "open" state, just when it was closed -). But I bet it's a bit thinner cuz of the touch screen capabilities (it's hard to imagine a glass touch screen in my mind).

For my ipod video I put a plastic protector on the front of the deivce (it was actually a psp screen protector, cuz it fits the device perfectly) and I had another one on the backside too, worked really well, held on well to, eventually it would start coming off though. Then I just got an iClear case or wutever it's called and i have been happy since!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.