Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
How do I remove a ringtone from iTunes?

I added by renaming it to a m4r file...

I keep getting an error in itunes every time I sync,

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
update to 7.4.1

In 7.4.1 they still show up, but when you sync it says that they cannot be copied to the iPhone because they are unable to be played on the iPhone.

You need to go to your iTunes Library directory and delete the ringtones out of the Ringtones directory.

hkbeejay

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
In 7.4.1 they still show up, but when you sync it says that they cannot be copied to the iPhone because they are unable to be played on the iPhone.

You need to go to your iTunes Library directory and delete the ringtones out of the Ringtones directory.

Could you point me there please? I can't find it in my iTunes music folder. I have Win Vista. Under user>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music, there are the folders for the songs but not the ringtones. I upgraded to 7.4.1 and am stuck having these ringtones that cannot sync. Thanks!

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006

I have deleted the files (the whole ringtones directory) but they still show up in iTunes.

There has to be something in the XML files or something, but I have looked already and found nothing.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I have deleted the files (the whole ringtones directory) but they still show up in iTunes.

There has to be something in the XML files or something, but I have looked already and found nothing.

It's part of the iTunes Library.itl file which you can't edit (at least I don't know how). The only way I did it was to take an older iTunes Library.itl and overwrite the current one...luckily iTunes had created a backup from a few days ago so it all worked out.

I think once they officially launch ringtones there'll be a way to manage your ringtone library.

gunst

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Rebuild the itunes Library

I had the same issue - I followed the following instructions and it worked beautifully.

First I deleted the .m4r file(s) in the ringtones folder of itunes. Then I rebuilt the library following these instructions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

Follow these steps:

1. Quit iTunes.
2. Locate your iTunes folder.
* For Mac OS X the iTunes folder is stored in one of the following locations:

/Users/username/Music

* For Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 the iTunes folder is stored in

\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\

* For Microsoft Windows Vista the iTunes folder is stored in

\Users\username\Music\

3. Open your iTunes folder.
4. Drag the iTunes Music Library.xml to the Desktop
5. Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:

* Mac OS X: "iTunes Library" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library").
* Microsoft Windows: "iTunes Library.itl" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library.itl")
6. Open iTunes.
7. From the File menu, choose Import.

Tip: Do not add any music into iTunes at this point.
8. Navigate to the iTunes Music Library.xml file on the Desktop.
9. Mac users: Click Choose.
Windows users: Click Open.

After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, etc) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync."

Petronas

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
After re-creating your library, any devices that you sync with iTunes (Apple TV, iPod, etc) will see your iTunes library as a new library and will completely resync."

Bringing an old thread back up -

What does the above mean? Will the custom ringtones on my phone be wiped from my phone or will they be copied back into iTunes?

EJB80

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
How do I remove a ringtone from iTunes?

I added by renaming it to a m4r file...

I keep getting an error in itunes every time I sync,

1. Launch iTunes
2. Click the device button near the top of the screen.
3. Click Summary in the side panel, check the "Manually manage videos" in the Options section.
4. Now you can right-click on a ringtone in the Tones section on the device, and a "Delete from library" option will be added.

Reactions: Furzul

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
1. Launch iTunes
3. Click Summary in the side panel, check the "Manually manage videos" in the Options section.
4. Now you can right-click on a ringtone in the Tones section on the device, and a "Delete from library" option will be added.
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

10 year old thread!

Furzul

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2013
Derbyshire, England
1. Launch iTunes

Well done. Been trying to do this since I upgraded to iOS 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.