Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Long time Quark user switching to ID. I am having an issue as every time I place an image with a path (shows up in PS no problem with path), it has this white box around it??? What is this white box and how do I get rid of it so only the actual path appears...

thanks

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
yeah, I did try that. To be more clear, the image is a vector logo I created in Illustrator then outlined a path, brought it into PS with no problems (path is outlined and I can overlay on background). Tried it in ID and I get this annoying white box around it. Under Object>Paths, the only option is to define your own path which does not work because the text is white on top of the white box so it just eats away the whole image if I play with the path.

In Quark and Photoshop, you just open or bring the image in and poof, no problems, nice outlined logo, in ID it comes with a white box :confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If you have to take a vector artwork element and rasterise it in Photoshop, and want to float it in InDesign, the best thing to do is to use transparency. Clipping paths are more trouble than they're worth sometimes and are a bit old-skool.

Create a new Photoshop CMYK file of the size and resolution you need for your InDesign project with a transparent background. Select the entire artwork in Illustrator, copy and paste it into a new layer, do what you have to do in Photoshop to that graphic on that new layer. Save. Import or drag .psd file into InDesign.

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
This may be a silly question, but why take a vector piece of artwork and bring it into PS to then bring into ID? Am I missing something?

If you don't need to bring it into PS for a specific reason, then place directly into ID.

If you need a clipping path, make sure it's saved from PS as an .eps .. ID can be flaky sometimes *shrug*

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
There was a misunderstanding, I didn't need and don't bring the vector into PS first, I just tried bringing it into PS to see if it had the same white box as it did when I brought it into ID (which it didn't).

Shecky was right on the money, "view - display performance - high quality"
...I thought I tried it but selected the wrong display mode the first time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.