Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Installed an OWC 1.4GHz upgrade daughtercard last week. Running great. Then, these past couple days, I've started getting the grey crash/"You need to restart" screen off and on. Then this afternoon, couldn't get the machine to fully boot without seeing that screen -- even when I was booted from the Jaguar CD! Talk about frustrating. So, in short, I shut down, opened the box, and it seemed that the board was not snapped in all the way. Would a daughtercard being slightly loose on the connector cause this kind of problem? Since tightening things up in there, I've been able to restart (obviously... here I am, right?)

I'd love to know your thoughts/experience/expertise on this one. Thanks in advance to anyone with insight.

mangoman :(

praetorian_x

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
I can't be much help, but I am considering the 1.4 Ghz + GeForce4MX upgrade combo from OWC, and I was wondering if you could tell me what your speed experience with the upgrade is.

I have an old g4 400 with a non-QE rage 128 in it, and I'm wondering what the upgrade experience will feel like. I'm concerned that the 100 Mhz FSB will limit the upgrade quite a bit.

What's your experience?

Thanks, and good luck with the grey screen of death.

Cheers,
prat

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Wes
LOL, sorry for offtopic, that just made me laugh. :)

Same here!

Anyway, back on topic, yes, having the card not connected properly could cause all sorts of "interesting" problems. You've got it working fine now?

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by Nermal
...You've got it working fine now?

Sort of. Still getting the occassional kernal panic. The ball's in OWC's court... sounds like they might want to exchange the card.

*sigh* Frustrating...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.