Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Dang, I am wondering if I should just return the unopened box to the store. This is the 1st time I ever bought something on the day of the launch. I always tried to avoid buying a brand new product just so all the bugs are worked out. I bought the iPod to:
1st- Have a mobile internet device
2nd-Listen to my music
3rd- Watch a movie every now and then

I dont know if I should just open it up and try it out, therefore having to eat the re-stock if neccessary, or just return the unit unopened.

KnucklesMahone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
It's not that bad really. I would say it gets me annoyed at some times, but it's not like a glaring problem. I'm gonna try different headphones and see if it gets better or worse.

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Good, I think I will have faith in :apple:, I have always been lucky and never had any issues with any of the Apple products I own. I will keep my eyes peeled on the boards, so if something else major pops up I can decide further, I only work 20 minutes from 2 Apple stores, but I live over an hour away from work.

KnucklesMahone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Dang, I am wondering if I should just return the unopened box to the store. This is the 1st time I ever bought something on the day of the launch. I always tried to avoid buying a brand new product just so all the bugs are worked out. I bought the iPod to:
1st- Have a mobile internet device
2nd-Listen to my music
3rd- Watch a movie every now and then

I dont know if I should just open it up and try it out, therefore having to eat the re-stock if neccessary, or just return the unit unopened.

I wouldn't return it. None of these problems are that bad. Now if i can just find some damn headphones... I wonder where the hell my headphones went. The search continues...

RCGMac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Unless it is so severe, I will deal. I am not a huge audiophile anyway, plus lots of the time the music is playing through my car stereo, and I dont have the best speakers for it. :rolleyes: The main attraction for me was the Internet, so here hoping in :apple:!

cmclaughlan

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I guess I lucked out.

I'm using Shure EC2 in-ear phones and can't tell any hiss. Mind you all my stuff is ripped at 320k.

Then again I am upgrading from a series 2 that hissed more than a cat at Halloween ...

I'm absolutely loving my new touch.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
Hang on...

You people bought a music device that has an audio-playback problem that you've all acknowledged but for some reason, probably the short-lived-thrill-of-the-new, you're all FINE with that???

Good grief. Steve's really got you under his thumb, hasn't he??!

:eek:

K Wal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones and I hear some noticable boost in the higherish frequencies not a hiss, it can be considered a hiss by someone who has untrained ears. It's not bad at all if you listen to it on good headphones now if you listen to it on the suplied earbuds it is worst.

Now i did use my 2.0ghz. C2D macbook as a refference to judge it by and can hardly hear a difference.

KnucklesMahone

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Hang on...

You people bought a music device that has an audio-playback problem that you've all acknowledged but for some reason, probably the short-lived-thrill-of-the-new, you're all FINE with that???

Actually, his pinky. The space under his thumb is already taken.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
Hang on...

that's what I'm thinkning too, if i hear hiss, that's a freaking defect, and i wouldn't be happy.

Then again, I've owned a ipod mini, and a nano, and have enjoyed both, as well as my MBP.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
that's what I'm thinkning too, if i hear hiss, that's a freaking defect, and i wouldn't be happy.

Then again, I've owned a ipod mini, and a nano, and have enjoyed both, as well as my MBP.

In general, iPod sound quality has improved since the Mini, so we'll see how this shakes out. I used to have a Mini, which I thought sounded fine until I bought my wife a 1G Shuffle- I noticed the difference the first time I listened to the Shuffle (the main difference being bass, due to underpowered amp in the Mini.)

The 5G and Nano's were pretty good IMO.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Hang on...

Come on, dude. Nothing that a pair of $999 headphones can't fix... :p

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
In general, iPod sound quality has improved since the Mini, so we'll see how this shakes out. I used to have a Mini, which I thought sounded fine until I bought my wife a 1G Shuffle- I noticed the difference the first time I listened to the Shuffle (the main difference being bass, due to underpowered amp in the Mini.)

The 5G and Nano's were pretty good IMO.

It might be fixable in software since these things seem to be out earlier than expected.. maybe with the audio codec?

At least you don't have major problems out of the box with these things. Also, remember, they are a new platform...

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I too am getting a low-level hiss when listening to the Touch on my Apple In-Ear headphones. It's not...awful, but it is somewhat disconcerting in a $400 audio device. Here's hoping they can fix it in software.

edit: Testing with Zune, I get the same level of fuzz, so maybe it's par for the course for players and I'm just being sensitive.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I'm amazed at people that cancel orders or return products without trying it for themselves. Every time I have purchased something where there has been talk about "screen defects" or "sound hissing" or "whining" or "bad lcd screens", etc, etc, etc, I haven't had a single problem with anything I've gotten. Would you rather listen to some dude on a forum or see for yourself if there's a problem with a product that you actually want?

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'm amazed at people that cancel orders or return products without trying it for themselves. Every time I have purchased something where there has been talk about "screen defects" or "sound hissing" or "whining" or "bad lcd screens", etc, etc, etc, I haven't had a single problem with anything I've gotten. Would you rather listen to some dude on a forum or see for yourself if there's a problem with a product that you actually want?
+1

I was reading the screen and hissing issues and was considering canceling my order. But then I watched the screen comparison vid on gizmondo and it's nothing! Just because one or two people over exaggerate, it's not necessary to overreact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.