Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
So I installed Adium and as part of the package it installed Growl. I've decided that I prefer not to use Adium so I dragged the application from my Applications folder to the Trash. My question is how do I remove Growl from my system? The icon is still showing up in System Preferences...

This is one caveat I have over Windows. Apple should make an uninstaller to completely remove all necessary components.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Here you go.

Growl notifications can be used by dozens of apps, so even an uninstaller program wouldn't have clear information as to if you wanted to remove it when you delete Adium, because you may have other apps (such as iTunes or Mail) for which you want to use Growl.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
So I installed Adium and as part of the package it installed Growl. I've decided that I prefer not to use Adium so I dragged the application from my Applications folder to the Trash. My question is how do I remove Growl from my system? The icon is still showing up in System Preferences...

This is one caveat I have over Windows. Apple should make an uninstaller to completely remove all necessary components.

Exactly Growl can be used by lots of things. So far I use it with the following applications :

iTunes
Mail
Adium
Cyberduck
7zX
Acquisition
GarageSale
Handbrake
Max
Miro
Xtorrent.

Personally I think it is pretty useful :).

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Here you go.

Growl notifications can be used by dozens of apps, so even an uninstaller program wouldn't have clear information as to if you wanted to remove it when you delete Adium, because you may have other apps (such as iTunes or Mail) for which you want to use Growl.

Yeah I saw that when searching on Google earlier. I didn't have the folder with the uninstall script in it so I thought I'd ask here first.

I ended up reinstalling the application just so that I could uninstall it using the automated script.

Sounds like Growl is pretty useful... I actually have some entries for Transmission and Yahoo Messenger in there. I looked through the tabs but I didn't really understand it. It looks like it creates pop up windows or something?

Thanks guys. I've only owned my MBP for two days :).

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sounds like Growl is pretty useful... I actually have some entries for Transmission and Yahoo Messenger in there. I looked through the tabs but I didn't really understand it. It looks like it creates pop up windows or something?.

It creates little pop up notifications. For example, when iTunes switches songs or when you receive new mail (using the Growltunes and Growlmail additions). I'm guessing the Transmission one will tell you when a file finishes downloading and the Yahoo one can tell you who comes online, etc.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I'd recommend leaving Growl there for a little while. It's a pretty harmless application that doesn't do much, but it's nice to have it there for when you do need it.

ithuwakaga

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
This is how you remove Growl.

http://growl.info/documentation/growl-package-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it.

marcre

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
hey, I just noticed I have this app in my system preferences. Any idea how it got there? I looked at it online, I am not even sure what it does. Any easy answer on why it is here and what it does?

Thanks.

lgldsr

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Exactly Growl can be used by lots of things. So far I use it with the following applications :

iTunes
Mail
Adium
Cyberduck
7zX
Acquisition
GarageSale
Handbrake
Max
Miro
Xtorrent.

Personally I think it is pretty useful :).

Stuffit uses Growl as well. :)

MetaSteve

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2006

http://growl.info/documentation/growl-package-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it.

This script does not work. It is asking to locate something called "GrowlHelper.app"

smakdaddy321

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
Uninstalling Growl

:D
Perfect Answer - Very Simple
Thanks for the help.

==================
ithuwakaga
macrumors newbie

http://growl.info/documentation/grow...ge-removal.php

Don't let the computer boss you around. If you want to remove something, you should be able to remove it. Saying "it is nice to have it there when you need it" when you don't actually need it means you don't have any clue on how to remove it, and you've given up attempting to remove it

odej98

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
One of my absolute biggest complaints about windows is a @#$%^ bubble popping up giving me notifications about stuff I know I already did.

Growl is completely unacceptable on my mac.
Growl HAS GOT TO GO!

MikiV6

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Re: Growl

This application should NOT be installed as a third party app by any application. Not only is it an insult to one's intelligence, but the amout of memory this thing consumes, beggers belief. Here we have yet another 'Messenger' application that will deliver untold garbage to your desktop, as Messenger did in the Windows system.

I do not need to be told on every occasion of what I am doing on my computer. Had I wanted to install this application, I would have gone to the website and downloaded it, then installed it.

The fact that it is being installed as a third party app by other applications like Tweetie makes my blood run cold.

As to the Reubs, this application is not exactly harmless. Its a process hog that will spam your desktop at every given opportunity, and it is unnecessary for the running of your computer.

People get rid of this insidious piece of trash and keep a look out in case it is installed by any other applications.

To the makers of this software I'd say: *^@* Off

Rant over.

applephysci

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
CA
If you follow the instructions mentioned on the link above from the Growl website, it only gets rid of this preference pane:
/Users/~user name~/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:
/Users/~user name~/Library/Caches/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp
/Users/~user name~/Library/Preferences/com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist
/Users/~user name~/Library/Application Support/Growl

Raggy

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
London, UK
Thank Gawd for this forum - been wanting to get rid of this thing. I reckon if you install Adium it gets on there somehow. Yuk. Thank goodness its gone. :p

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Thank Gawd for this forum - been wanting to get rid of this thing. I reckon if you install Adium it gets on there somehow. Yuk. Thank goodness its gone. :p

Adium asks you if you want to install it if you do not change the Events preferences to Audio Notifications. I think the official Dropbox release installs it without asking or maybe only if you tell it to. Look at http://www.growl.info for information as to why you may have Growl on your system without knowing. I recently uninstalled it too because I found it useless to me. I got more and more upset at those notifications. Even despite me turning them off from within Growl some new app would hook onto Growl and give me popups. I didn't want that hassle.

Great for some I guess.

baadtaste

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Norway
Growl uninstaller does NOT uninstall Growl

If you follow the instructions mentioned on the link above from the Growl website, it only gets rid of this preference pane:

If you really want to COMPLETELY get rid of Growl, get rid of these folders as well:

This is what you have to do. The Growl uninstaller does NOT uninstall Growl.
Thank you applephysci

PlaceboAddress

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Blue Marble
Finished

I tried contacting Growl via twitter because I couldnt find any "real" contact info on their site. They just referred me to a supposed contact page & IGNORED my question. Why not just answer the question on twitter?!?

Anyway... the whole reason I contacted them was because, now they've tacked a FEE onto the end user. WHAT? I could care less about their little notification I see every once in a blue moon that either they've implemented or a developer has implemented into their software. Why would I pay for that?

So for me... it's coming off, too!!

mactheworld671

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
uninstall growl

do yourself a favour and get "Mac Keeper" uninstalls everything you want easily. Sure it wasn't created by apple and you'll have to spend money for it, but it makes up for all the other crap you have to buy for windows, plus it works really well and support is awesome.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
do yourself a favour and get "Mac Keeper" uninstalls everything you want easily. Sure it wasn't created by apple and you'll have to spend money for it, but it makes up for all the other crap you have to buy for windows, plus it works really well and support is awesome.

Hmmm... just signed up today to necropost an advertisement. I wonder who you work for.

Anyway, growl web site specifically says mac keeper doesn't work worth a crap for removing growl.

TrollDoll

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Good advice on Growl Uninstall

Thanks applephysci! The pop-ups for updates for this program which I didn't even install were really beginning to bug me--as well as knowing something had been added to my computer without my knowledge.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you elect to use uninstaller apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.