Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I'm trying to make icons for my Mac, but I can't figure out how to make a transparent background on these things. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm using photoshop if that makes a difference.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I tried that iconic program. It kept saying it was processing, but it'd flash through real quick and stop. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or what. I'll give it another try again later.

mergatroidal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
New York
icons?

I'm a big fan of Graphic Converter. A very versatile program once you know how to use it. :)

Use the app for free, for how ever long it takes till your conscience pesters you to purchase a license for it.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I tried that iconic program. It kept saying it was processing, but it'd flash through real quick and stop. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or what. I'll give it another try again later.

Iconic turns the preview of the psd file in finder into the icon, it doesn't generate a new file. So it is possible that you saw no result, you see it if you make the original psd file icon bigger in icon view and select it. You can then copy paste it to be your hd icon, or a folder or whatever. You can also rename it to be .icns instead of .psd.

And it doesn't have to be a psd file, png with transparent background works as well. Sorry for not being more specific before.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Iconic turns the preview of the psd file in finder into the icon, it doesn't generate a new file. So it is possible that you saw no result, you see it if you make the original psd file icon bigger in icon view and select it. You can then copy paste it to be your hd icon, or a folder or whatever. You can also rename it to be .icns instead of .psd.

And it doesn't have to be a psd file, png with transparent background works as well. Sorry for not being more specific before.

That's what I mean. I made a transparent background .png and tossed it in there and it didn't do anything. It still came out with a white background. I'll give it another shot later tonight.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
A great free program for this is Iconic. You can find it on http://www.versiontracker.com

Just design your icon in photoshop, 128x128 pixels, save it as a .psd with transparent background, drag&drop it to iconic and you have your icon.

That's all I ever use whenever I'm creating iconsets for client, it's probably the best option for when you are creating icons in Photoshop.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
That's what I mean. I made a transparent background .png and tossed it in there and it didn't do anything. It still came out with a white background. I'll give it another shot later tonight.

Hm, very strange... :confused:

And since this program is so simple there is actually nothing you could have done wrong. I'm sorry I can't help you further, on my machine I never had a problem with it. :(

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Hm, very strange... :confused:

And since this program is so simple there is actually nothing you could have done wrong. I'm sorry I can't help you further, on my machine I never had a problem with it. :(

I tried again, and when I tossed the .psd in there, it changed from the little thumbnail to the PSD icon. I tried it again with a .png and it did the same. I'll keep playing around until I figure something out.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
OSX's developer tools include an icon app.

English please. KIDDING. I don't really know what you are talking about, but I did a google search during class and found another program that worked. I got most of my icon changed, but a few of them won't work, Adobe Illustrator included (FWIW, Photoshop and InDesign changed over fine). It's kinda annoying. Oh well.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I tried again, and when I tossed the .psd in there, it changed from the little thumbnail to the PSD icon. I tried it again with a .png and it did the same. I'll keep playing around until I figure something out.

You need to add an alpha layer for "true" transparency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.