Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2003
Chicago
A friend uses an old iMac DV400 just to store music in iTunes (the only thing she uses a computer for at home) but her iPods haven't been mounting on the desktop. But, I can connect with either FireWire or USB (4G iPod color) or USB (Product Red Nano) and they do show up under Disk Utility.

I haven't been able to mount an external hard drive or DVD writer via FireWire, either, so I figured the ports were bad. But when the iPods showed up under Disk Utility, that had me stumped.

She has purchased music on the internal drive she wants to move to her iPods but the lack of mounting is starting to piss her off.

Oh, and she's running the last update of Jaguar and her iTunes is up-to-date for that version as well. It worked in the past with that set up so not sure what's going on now.

Any ideas?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
If your friend isn't using the latest version of iTunes available then the iPod won't be recognized. Perhaps the latest version of iTunes for Jaguar doesn't support those iPods. Those won't even show up as mounted drives either.

Also if the iPod shows up in Tunes, you will may need to enable disk usage from the main iPod configuration tab.

Edit: Installing Tiger and the latest iTunes should fix the problem.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2003
Chicago
If your friend isn't using the latest version of iTunes available then the iPod won't be recognized. Perhaps the latest version of iTunes for Jaguar doesn't support those iPods. Those won't even show up as mounted drives either.

Thanks! I just checked the system requirements and the Nano won't work with that OS and iTunes version but her iPod will. I set up her Nano with my BlackBook but her iPod used to work with the iMac.

Edit: Installing Tiger and the latest iTunes should fix the problem.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but Jaguar's the last boxed OS she bought for it. I got Tiger with my BlackBook and Mini but can't "legally" use those to upgrade, if they'd even work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.