Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
nano169.jpg

You all know the device I'm talking about.

How do I put videos from a DVD onto the video?

Thanks!

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I am not sure if this is what your asking for but if you want to convert a dvd to mp4 so you can play it on your nano you ll have to use this, handbrake

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Yup. I have that exact model and for the last several days, I've been putting my Firefly DVDs on it. ^_^

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
That red is so nice lookin.

I too aree with Handbrake by the way.

Nice picture, too. You have nicer hands than most people who post these types of closeup shots, hehe. :)

Crager724

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2005
God's Country
So what settings are you guys or gals using in Handbrake?

Plus, if you rip a DVD to watch on a Nano and then plug your Nano into a TV (via the $49 cables) what kind of picture will you get? Will it Nano small or will it fill the screen?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Plus, if you rip a DVD to watch on a Nano and then plug your Nano into a TV (via the $49 cables) what kind of picture will you get? Will it Nano small or will it fill the screen?

I use the following settings in Handbrake: MP4 File, MPEG-4 Video /AAC Audio with the FFmpeg encoder. Bitrate of 1500 and a overall size of 640x480 (for widescreen movies the height will reduce). I use FFmpeg because it rips DVDs far quicker than the other one (I get 95 fps with ffmpeg).
If you rip with these settings, the video quality is somewhere between VHS and DVD when you play it through the TV and the picture will fill the screen

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007

use the default ipod lowrez. highrez is far too big a file; lowrez will get you about a 600mb dvd, if im not mistaken. and the quality is just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.