Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikonq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
I'm soon to do a massive batch conversion of my DVDs to iPod/iTunes format for easy syncing on and off the 5G iPod, and a soon-to-be-purchased 16GB Touch.
I'm trying to ascertain the best resolution and bit-rate for optimum viewing on the Touch, without going crazy on space.

(Mac Pro Q2.66 + Raid 0 (1.5TB) helps this massive encoding process btw)

Apple base their size calculations on "Video capacity based on H.264 1.5-Mbps video at 640-by-480-pixel resolution combined with 128-Kbps audio."

I'm thinking that I could probably live on about 850Mbps Video, 160Kbps Audio With the resolution set to as close as possible to the native res of the iPod Touch/iPhone Screen.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What settings do you use and how does that go for you?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well then you'll laugh at me.

i do 160kpbs video with 96 kbps audio and 320x240 resolution (or its widescreen equivalent).

it's completely watchable on the computer and on the iPod, albeit not perfect but perfectly fine.

that way i was able to get each 45 minute TV show into 75MB and store every episode of my 10 seasons-running favorite show on my iPod!

ikonq

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
160kbps! :eek:

I might try that just to see if I can tolerate it, I've never actually tried going that low. :)

(i'll probably end up doing a big batch of different settings on the same episode, and seeing which is best)

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
160kbps! :eek:

I might try that just to see if I can tolerate it, I've never actually tried going that low. :)

(i'll probably end up doing a big batch of different settings on the same episode, and seeing which is best)

thats worst than youtube videos

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
well i've already seen all the episodes on TV and have them on DVD for when i actually want to watch them on TV...

and keep in mind i actually sat and watched some full episodes fullscreen on my MBP completely stretched out and it didn't really bother me.

obviously i realize its not good qual... but it sure beats the hell out of only being able to fit a few episodes in iTunes amazingly space wasting 250MB an episode.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I use the max setting for both Audio/Video. The reason is I use my iPod on a 40in HDTV as well. To me space is of no concern but quality and sound.

I can always buy a bigger one, just like HD's. But the time it takes to convert them takes time. Something I do not want do twice!

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
I use 400kbps and 112 for audio. But thats my settings for cartoons. Then for other video ill use 500-700kbps depending on what im encoding. I might just bump up the audio to 160 but im not really sure what difference it makes. Is it just louder or better quality?

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
well then you'll laugh at me.

i do 160kpbs video with 96 kbps audio and 320x240 resolution (or its widescreen equivalent).

it's completely watchable on the computer and on the iPod, albeit not perfect but perfectly fine.

that way i was able to get each 45 minute TV show into 75MB and store every episode of my 10 seasons-running favorite show on my iPod!

Yeah, I do 320xproportional (most of my stuff is widescreen). I use 256kbps video with 64kbps mono audio (tv shows are all talk so stereo's not as important, and so being only mono, 64kbps gets good quality) and at 15 fps if the program I'm converting with supports. The iPod nano doesn't actually seem to display a full 30fps, so there's no reason to waist bandwidth for those frames. I keep higher resolution versions on my computer. I wish there were a good way to keep two different versions, but only have one show up in iTunes/FrontRow, etc. That way I could watch the highresolution ones that are sitting on my external harddrive when I'm at the computer/TV, and the low resolution ones would get transfered to the iPod. But in any case, unless you use your iPod to connect to a TV of sorts, there's no point in encoding the video for any higher resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.