Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
Please accept my apologies if I have offended you. I was merely expressing my exasperation at those who are repeating the same questions and statements about "crap coverage" without having read previous postings.

I am not sure these coverage maps are really any precise indication of anything. I have done plenty of real world testing with O2 in and around the area I live in, and I can receive a 3G signal and connection on my phone way outside of the marked areas on O2's map. There is definitely a marked difference in speed between the areas which are marked as being suitable for "video/streaming news" and the lighter areas, but the speeds I have had when outside the dark blue areas with 3G still showing are still far superior to anything on GPRS.

On another matter, if you are interested in these things, this map is of great interest:
http://www.coveragemaps.com/pubs/GSM_EuropeanPoster2007A.pdf
It shows that roughly 80% of the UK can receive 3G by one or more of the operators. We've got one of the best 3G coverage areas in Europe, along with Sweden (not surprisingly) and Italy (very surprisingly). I'm sure it'll still be many years until these operators finally open up and share their networks and give their customers all they care about - maximum coverage.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Please accept my apologies if I have offended you. I was merely expressing my exasperation at those who are repeating the same questions and statements about "crap coverage" without having read previous postings.

No probs. Post-work tetchiness on my part too.

I am not sure these coverage maps are really any precise indication of anything. I have done plenty of real world testing with O2 in and around the area I live in, and I can receive a 3G signal and connection on my phone way outside of the marked areas on O2's map. There is definitely a marked difference in speed between the areas which are marked as being suitable for "video/streaming news" and the lighter areas, but the speeds I have had when outside the dark blue areas with 3G still showing are still far superior to anything on GPRS.

That's good to hear for the long run. I've always said we need proper hsdpa 3G in the iphone, I'm not disagreeing.

I'm a little offput by the lack of coverage in O2's own map (ie. not on the train between liverpool and manchester !!) to be honest though.

On another matter, if you are interested in these things, this map is of great interest:
It shows that roughly 80% of the UK can receive 3G by one or more of the operators. We've got one of the best 3G coverage areas in Europe, along with Sweden (not surprisingly) and Italy (very surprisingly). I'm sure it'll still be many years until these operators finally open up and share their networks and give their customers all they care about - maximum coverage.

I was specific about O2. I was aware of the above. This might reveal some plotting by Apple to eventually go with Vodafone, with the 3G version (as well?).

Until then we need to make do with EDGE I guess.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
In which case, what's stopping people doing this?

1. Take out an 18 month O2 contract today with a free N95
2. Buy iPhone on Nov 09
3. Switch to iPhone contract
4. Sell brand new N95 on eBay for £269
5. iPhone = Free

As far as I can tell, nothing. Unless by "existing customers", 02 mean "02 customers who are not still within a contract period" Which would mean relatively few of us.

I agree with you - it would be great, if a little surprising if they allowed people who signed up for a contract with a subsidised phone to suddenly switch to the iPhone plan. If they do, perhaps there will be some restrictions to stop people taking the mick, and to make sure they dont effectively lose money from that person making the switch; (person must be at least 1/2 way through contract..etc)

Bearing all this in mind, it clearly states on their website, "If you're an existing O2 customer and you receive your bills directly from O2, or you're an O2 Pay & Go customer, during the activation process you'll be asked whether you'd like to transfer your existing O2 mobile number to your iPhone." As far as I know, its okay to change your tariff to a more expensive one while you're within a contract, so (hopefully) this will be the case for the iphone plan.

If not, Im stuffed, and may cry...

Applemacmonkey

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Just to clear up this upgrade business.

Any o2 customer who has an existing contract which was taken out or upgraded BEFORE the 18th September can move across to an iPhone by just buying one. There will be no penalty for doing this. If the contract was taken out after the 18th then you will have to pay an extra charge of £219 regardless of how long is left on that contract.

Easy!

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland

Any o2 customer who has an existing contract which was taken out or upgraded BEFORE the 18th September can move across to an iPhone by just buying one. There will be no penalty for doing this. If the contract was taken out after the 18th then you will have to pay an extra charge of £219 regardless of how long is left on that contract.

Easy!

Brutal! Where did you get this info - do you have a link you can point us to? Or are you "in the know"....

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.

Don't know where you got this from, but it makes perfect sense.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo

Easy!

Great info, where did you get it from.

robelkin

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Easy!

My contract, which I have had for the last 3 years, it up for renewal at the end of october/start of november. Does this mean I will just be able to move my number over and stay on my current plan? Or do I fall into that gap where I will need to take out the overpriced, pay twice more than what i do now, iphone plan? And can I renegotiate my current plan and still have it moved over ok?

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
My contract, which I have had for the last 3 years, it up for renewal at the end of october/start of november. Does this mean I will just be able to move my number over and stay on my current plan? Or do I fall into that gap where I will need to take out the overpriced, pay twice more than what i do now, iphone plan? And can I renegotiate my current plan and still have it moved over ok?

No way dude - Im afraid you'll have to pick one of the three iPhone plans. Or get your mits on an unlocked iphone.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005

I can only offer my own anecdotal evidence, and I rarely ever get 3G on my Nokia on O2. Hardly ever. And I am either in Manchester or London

robelkin

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2005
Belfast, Northern Ireland
No way dude - Im afraid you'll have to pick one of the three iPhone plans. Or get your mits on an unlocked iphone.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Even with 3 years of history with them they would not allow me to move my plan over? That seems a bit harsh! What about if the contract just auto renews in october? still wont work?

It may be import time.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

Even with 3 years of history with them they would not allow me to move my plan over? That seems a bit harsh! What about if the contract just auto renews in october? still wont work?

It may be import time.

I have been with o2 for 3 years, on a £45 plan, They didn't even let me get a upgrade 2 weeks early. If you want an iPhone your going to need to get those horrible plans.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Regarding the lack of built-in GPS. Surely it's only a matter of time before there's a navigation app for the iPhone that works with one of the many Bluetooth receivers? Hell, you can get one that hangs off your keyring now!

freedom-mini-gps-on-keyring-289-75.jpg

(EDIT: And according to the spec it's compatible with Google Maps.)

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
was thinking about that today, i have a feeling the phones will be in the stores for opening time, i have taken the day off work. there's the apple store and a few 02 stores in Glasgow so hopefully getting one on the day shouldn't be a problem.
maybe it's a bit to early to start this, I'm getting way to excited already!!!!!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
....hopefully getting one on the day shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, Im hoping so too. Bearing in mind that there are 1300 outlets nationwide i.e. Apple stores, Car Phone Warehouse shops, and o2 shops there's a reasonable chance.

Although interest on this forum is already at fever pitch, the press have given the price plans a bit of a beating, and to be honest, I think that there will be thousands for whom they will be a step too far.

Also worth bearing in mind that Apple is doubling production in the run up to Christmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.