Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
I've noticed on the Apple.com site you can purchase refurbished iPhones for $349 has anyone had any experience with the refurbished iPhones? I do have an Apple retail store in my city which i'm debating on if i should just spend the extra $50 dollars for new or buy refurbished? Also if i purchased refurbished and had a problem with it would i get help from the Apple retail stores Genius Bar?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
you'll get the same support either way. The main difference is the boxing material. If you want a retail box, buy retail. I'm assuming the refurb comes with all the accessories the retail does.

My personal feeling is that I prefer new. I feel this way about cars too for the most part. Not everyone agrees with this attitude though.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I heard Apple's refurbs are excellent quality.

But if i were to buy another new iPhone, i would just pay the extra $50, which is what i recently did to use the $100 credit.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I've bought lots of refurb macs and iPods, even my iPhone was a refurb. They've all been excellent. And if you have any problems with it, you get the same warranty as buying it new.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I laugh at the people that say for "peace of mind" or that "new smell" they prefer to spend the extra money. How many new iphones have been replaced because of defects?? What did that extra $ spent do for those people? Save the cash and get the refurb.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I laugh at the people that say for "peace of mind" or that "new smell" they prefer to spend the extra money. How many new iphones have been replaced because of defects?? What did that extra $ spent do for those people? Save the cash and get the refurb.

Laugh if you want. Something about knowing that I've been the only one to ever hold the thing in my hands, or drive it on the highway in the case of a new car, is worth a bit more to me. It doesn't seem like that much more to me, so I rather have this peace of mind. Of course, I dropped mine not long after getting it, so what good did it do me? :)

Like I said, to each there own. Either way, you're going to get a great device and the same support we all enjoy (mostly) from apple

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
If you buy an Apple-refurb'd product, it's treated as if new in terms of how service for it works, including being able to apply an AppleCare to it, your initial period of tech support, etc.

I've bought most of my ibooks and powerbooks as refurbs, plus several iPods as well -- several original minis, a 2G shuffle and an 80Gb 5G. I like them because I know they've been through an extra QC pass, basically.

Some people say they've noticed cosmetic defects on powerbook refurbs -- little dings in the inside frame of the display or scratches on the case exterior --but that has not been my experience.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Laugh if you want. Something about knowing that I've been the only one to ever hold the thing in my hands, or drive it on the highway in the case of a new car, is worth a bit more to me. It doesn't seem like that much more to me, so I rather have this peace of mind. Of course, I dropped mine not long after getting it, so what good did it do me? :)

Like I said, to each there own. Either way, you're going to get a great device and the same support we all enjoy (mostly) from apple

Peace of mind for what again??? Like I said, how many hundreds or thousands of BRAND NEW iphones have had to be returned for defects. What is that extra money buying exactly?

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Peace of mind for what again??? Like I said, how many hundreds or thousands of BRAND NEW iphones have had to be returned for defects. What is that extra money buying exactly?

It's buying me the knowledge that some moron with no clue has ever mistreated the product I am holding in my hand, regardless of Apple's ability to repair said product back to a like new state.

This opinion of mine is stronger held on the topic of cars than it is Apple products though. I trust Apple to repair a product to new specs much more than I trust a car dealer to do the same.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
It's buying me the knowledge that some moron with no clue has ever mistreated the product I am holding in my hand, regardless of Apple's ability to repair said product back to a like new state.

This opinion of mine is stronger held on the topic of cars than it is Apple products though. I trust Apple to repair a product to new specs much more than I trust a car dealer to do the same.

Eh, whatever. Guess you like paying extra for a fancy box.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
refurb 4GB works well

I got mine about a month ago, and it's wonderful. I think it even came in a "new" box. No problems, no dings/dents/scratches. If "brand new" isn't worth $50, just go for the refurb. Good luck!

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I bought an 8 gig refurb that had the negative screen issue.. Got a second refurb with dead pixels and negative screen issue... finally got a brand new one out of the black box and now I'm happy... I not sure if this experience cripples my motivation to purchase refurb products.. but honestly... Depending on the price difference between a product being refurb or new I usually always go new! There's just something about it being original and specific and "being the first to open the seal. Yes you get the same support if you buy a used iphone, but you don't get the cool black box ;)

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
I bought an 8 gig refurb that had the negative screen issue.. Got a second refurb with dead pixels and negative screen issue... finally got a brand new one out of the black box and now I'm happy... I not sure if this experience cripples my motivation to purchase refurb products.. but honestly... Depending on the price difference between a product being refurb or new I usually always go new! There's just something about it being original and specific and "being the first to open the seal. Yes you get the same support if you buy a used iphone, but you don't get the cool black box ;)

So the Apple.com website actually sent you a brand new 8GB iPhone after 2 bad original ones?

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006

But even the refurbs come in brand new cases and look perfectly mint, like a new one would.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
My buddy just received his refurb Macbook over the weekend. We inspected it and it looked "like new". I'm going with a refurb iPhone :)

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Ive said this before and Ill say it again. Im not someone that likes to buy anything that someone else has used. I dont shop at Goodwill, I dont buy demo/scratch and dent anything, I HATE buying shoes that someone else has tried on. There have been a number of times I didnt not buy a pair of shoes I wanted simply because they had been tried on and the store didnt have any more in my size. How is that for picky?

But with a refurb Apple product, of which Ive bought many, these items are restored to, IMO, brand new condition. Who cares if someone handled it before?? I dont know what their refurb process is, but Ive NEVER gotten a refurb product from them with any markings or signs of usage of any kind on the outer case.

Ill continue to buy Apple refurbs and save some cash. If you want to spend extra and buy new because you think its better in some way, fine by me. Ill just never understand it.

And yes, there are plenty of refurb threads about iPhones here if people will just take time to search instead of starting a new one.

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
Ive said this before and Ill say it again. Im not someone that likes to buy anything that someone else has used. I dont shop at Goodwill, I dont buy demo/scratch and dent anything, I HATE buying shoes that someone else has tried on. There have been a number of times I didnt not buy a pair of shoes I wanted simply because they had been tried on and the store didnt have any more in my size. How is that for picky?

But with a refurb Apple product, of which Ive bought many, these items are restored to, IMO, brand new condition. Who cares if someone handled it before?? I dont know what their refurb process is, but Ive NEVER gotten a refurb product from them with any markings or signs of usage of any kind on the outer case.

Ill continue to buy Apple refurbs and save some cash. If you want to spend extra and buy new because you think its better in some way, fine by me. Ill just never understand it.

And yes, there are plenty of refurb threads about iPhones here if people will just take time to search instead of starting a new one.

After reading a majority of the forums i'm buying a new iPhone even though Apple restores the products back to their like new condition i'd rather be the first to use it and since the difference is only $50 dollars theres not to much of a jump to go brand new.

mchank

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Go for new if you have a nearby Apple Store

I just purchased a refurb iphone and have a problem with the black plastic being loose. I called AppleCare and they said I'd have to send it back for a replacement. I should've bought it new from the local Apple Store then I could've just done a quick swap. Its its worth the 50 bucks for the convenience and added piece of mind.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I just purchased a refurb iphone and have a problem with the black plastic being loose. I called AppleCare and they said I'd have to send it back for a replacement. I should've bought it new from the local Apple Store then I could've just done a quick swap. Its its worth the 50 bucks for the convenience and added piece of mind.

I swapped out my refurb at my closest Apple store. Did you even attempt to take it in to have it looked at there?

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I would normally lean towards buying a refurb but when buying such a high tech toy I would pay the extra $50 to have new. I might think twice if it was a $100 difference though. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.