Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Windows XP (SP1) machine, iTunes version 7.4.0.28. I do have Directx9 after running dxdiag and checking the info there, and per the instructions here...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304402

I checked DirectDraw and Direct 3D Acceleration, and both of them are enabled.

This is the exact message I get when trying to use Coverflow:

"iTunes is unable to browse album covers on this computer because DirectX 9 or later is not installed."

Note that it does not only say "iTunes is unable to browse album covers on this computer"...that last bit about DirectX 9 is included as well, but as I said, I have it.
This is white text on a black screen, not white text on a gray screen.

Any ideas before I throw my laptop against a wall?

Tibwolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
If it helps, Coverflow is completely useless to me on a computer.

It is a huge hassle trying to look through large libraries of music

jockmock

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007

cover-flow is so much faster than scrolling through in usual ways. You have to buy a new machine, me thinks

and for OT, go to microsoft for the newest version of Direct X

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

I agree with you there.

cover-flow is so much faster than scrolling through in usual ways. You have to buy a new machine, me thinks

Not faster than clicking in the artist column and typing the first couple of letters of the artist you are looking for though.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
You might want to install Windows XP SP2? XP SP1 is pretty outdated now.

SP2 is a free update from Microsoft's website, or from Windows Update. Who knows, it could be the source of your problem, Apple probably expects all their Windows stuff to run on XP SP2 or Vista.

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
You might want to install Windows XP SP2? XP SP1 is pretty outdated now.

SP2 is a free update from Microsoft's website, or from Windows Update. Who knows, it could be the source of your problem, Apple probably expects all their Windows stuff to run on XP SP2 or Vista.

Is this OK to do (read, "am I going to have tons and tons of problems doing this")? I've heard nothing but horror stories of people updating to SP2, and I thought this has still been the case.

Thing is, this has worked before on SP1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.