Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixoplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2003
Since Apple did not have any rendering times on anything and since I do not play with huge 600 mb photoshop files I was able to put together a Final Cut Pro 4 project file and have it rendered on a G5. Below is what I got.

My Dual Processor G4 1.25 gigahertz ( 1 GIG RAM ) took 8 minutes 25-30 seconds for that project
The Dual Processor G5 2.0 gigahertz ( 2 GIGZ RAM ) took 5 minutes 25-30 seconds for that project

That project had about 1 minute of dv footage with 2 text scrolls, and some color effects.

But it might get faster with Panther and everything optimized.. but at lease we got something to go in.
Its just a wait and see now.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
How did you have access to a G5 if they haven't shipped yet?

Those benchmarks look truly impressive though .. a great start, at the very least

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Interesting numbers. That almost comes out exactly proportional to the clock speed - just a little better, but not by much. You'd figure it would do considerably better.....

D

mixoplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2003
I went to the MacWorld Show in New York they had them there and I was able to go off to the side hidden and try it on a spare machine. I burned my Final Cut Project to a DVD and copied it in. I was thinking that it should be quicker but that was the only way I could get a true comparison for me myself. Maybe It might pay to wait.. We might even see a Dual G5 2.25 or 2.5 GHZ

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
First off I must say that I might be saying this out of my wishes that the Dual 2 Ghz G5 performs better, and this in no way is a personal attack. But....

if you are just a regular Joe Smoe like myself, I can see no way that you were actually allowed to do this. At MWCP, there were dozens of Apple guys swarming all over the G5s. I can't imagine why they would let you render a FCP project and they wouldn't let me touch the mouse. I am highly suspicious.

Then again, maybe I am in denial.

mixoplex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2003
Denial

Well I was able to do that. I guess I blended in and I was able to go through the existing projects they had on there.. Like the VW commericial etc.. You might be in denial. I touched the mouse, loaded FC4 - Did the test twice to make sure.. Deleted the render files located in the Final Cut Pro Documents folder that had the same name as my project. No reason for me to lie. I just needed to know and I am sure other people needed to know also. When you spend 150K on a new porsche that came out they may say its does 0 - 60 in 5 seconds and does the quarter mile in 9, But then you can get a Ferrari for 250K and it does 0 - 60 4 seconds and a quarter mile in 8 .. Will you wanna spend the extra 100K for 1 second.. Maybe but I would wanna know. That's all.

I am gonna try to see if I can try the test on a dual 1.42 to see.

I guess its all in the way you talk to people. My wife always tell its easier to get what you want by being polite and saying "PLEASE"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.