Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,

Well, I have my 15" PB on order, now for the "extras." My wife has designs on this thing<g>. She is asking about a car adapter. We make trips here and there and she wants to watch dvd movies. Buddy who has an iBook bought an adapter from Radio Shack. The male end goes into the cigarette lighter while the female end is basically an electrical recepticle that you plug the Mac into. Can this cause any problems with the Powerbook from an electrical viewpoint??? I've read that it isn't always as obviously safe as one would think.

Thanks.

Frank

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-fjs08

I think his solution is a little bit disturbing due to how many conversions he's doing to the power supply that aren't necessary. The 12vDC supply from the car is being inverted and transformed (step-up) to 110vAC, then that in turn is being tranformed to what the iBook needs.

Yes, this can be dangerous. I'd suggest this, it's not cheap, but it's the right way to go about it.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
I use something called the Xtend Airline/Auto adater. It cost me abt 70 bucks and it has a cigarette lighter adapter on one end and plugs for ALL kinds of laptops on the other including one for my Apple.

It works great. I bought mine at iGo.com.

MacBoyX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.