Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are You Waiting For A Stoakley-Seaburg and 2007 Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro

• No. I bought the FrankenMac

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Yes I Will Wait 'Til Apple Gets It Right

Votes: 246 58.0%
  • Not sure. Waiting for benchmarks on the 4.4.07 model.

Votes: 27 6.4%
  • I'll stick with 4 cores, thank you very much.

Votes: 121 28.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I dont think apple will release hardware alongside an OS launch. It is most likely some new service/update.
Alongside, no. I can expect to see hardware appearing in November though. Both Panther and Tiger saw laptop updates and an iMac one. The iMac update is doubtful at this point.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
MM started this thread April 4th. I've been waiting since about January. I really really REALLY hope Apple doesn't screw up the graphics card options on the new Mac Pro. But it wouldn't surprise me, given their track record in that department. :rolleyes:

Well, I would think a new graphics card in the MacPro would have to be better than the 512mb option and more powerful enough for rendering and all that. They won't let us down.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Mid January vs. Mid November Seems Like An Eternity To Me

Well, I would think a new graphics card in the MacPro would have to be better than the 512mb option and more powerful enough for rendering and all that. They won't let us down.
The video card in my Quad G5 gives up expanding windows beyond a certain limit on my 30" without a reboot. I'll feel let down if we have to wait for MacWorld Expo. It's freaking in the MIDDLE of January. That would be 2 more months of waiting. Seems like that would be incredibly difficult for many of us.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
The video card in my Quad G5 gives up expanding windows beyond a certain limit on my 30" without a reboot. I'll feel let down if we have to wait for MacWorld Expo. It's freaking in the MIDDLE of January. That would be 2 more months of waiting. Seems like that would be incredibly difficult for many of us.

If there is no MacPro with Leopard or one week after, I am forced to buy a MacPro.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
My friend just gave up waiting for a mac pro and bought a macbook for his wife instead.

Not all professionals can afford to buy now.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
SkullTrail for gaming? That's a painful prospect. SkullTrail is an enthusiast gaming platform based off of a dual socket, dual quad platform. As wonderful as it sounds, it's way out of any reasonable budget.

My life and job don't depend entirely on my Mac. I just want a Mac that I'm capable of upgrading and currently the Mac Pro is the best option.

I don't like having two computers but a MacBook + Q6600 minitower is appealing as well.

jerrah

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Australia
I've tried this in the past but ultimately I found my Macbook Pro disappointing for editing large files. I guess it depends what kind of work you would be doing on the Macbook.

I'll keep waiting, but it's tempting to build a Q6600 system in the meantime. It's more money not going to Apple that they could be getting.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I've tried this in the past but ultimately I found my Macbook Pro disappointing for editing large files. I guess it depends what kind of work you would be doing on the Macbook.

I'll keep waiting, but it's tempting to build a Q6600 system in the meantime. It's more money not going to Apple that they could be getting.
I just do the occasional DVD project on a contract basis. Otherwise I'm a media master when someone needs a simple VHS to DVD conversion. :rolleyes:

I know most games don't use more then 2 cores right now but I can push some of my render work to my tower when I'm at home.

I just need to find applications to create a workflow in Windows! My OS X video conversion and editing workflow is working out great for me.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
MacNN reports: Apple planning to launch iTunes HD videos?

I dont think apple will release hardware alongside an OS launch. It is most likely some new service/update.

MacNN is reporting the following possible announcement by Apple. I wonder if this might be the real announcement(s) forthcoming from Apple. With all of the other issues Apple is battling right now including the iMac, iPhone, and negative media to mention just a few, IMHO I don't see Apple bringing any new additional hardware to market for the balance of the year. I would think that they would like the balance of the year to be as issue free as possible.

"Apple planning to launch iTunes HD videos?
Thursday, October 4, 2007 @ 4:50pm

Apple intends to revitalize its flagging Apple TV hub by launching HD video downloads on iTunes, according to a rumor from a source which in the past accurately described the iPod touch in advance of its launch. A "selection" of the movies and TV shows available from the company's store would receive a significant step up in resolution from today's videos, which are currently limited to the maximum 640x480 size officially supported by the iPhone and all existing iPod models. Apple is stocking up on supplies of its media hubs in anticipation of increased demand spurred by the HD videos, says the purported insider.

While many of the details were left out of the alleged leak, the 40GB and 160GB Apple TV models on sale now support playback of widescreen videos as sharp as 720p (1280x720), qualifying as HD-capable. Apple's September iPod refresh also introduced a new component video output cable that would theoretically support HD video, although the existing lack of support by current Apple handhelds would limit its usefulness with iTunes HD content.

If accurate, the claim would have Apple make the announcement sometime before the end of the month, coinciding closely with the company's expected October release of Mac OS X Leopard."

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Example of Why We Need Smart HSS 8 Cores ASAP

I have two Quad Core Macs here - G5 & MP 2.66. On the G5 I have a handbrake crush to mp4 running @ 9-14 fps all in a RAM disk while two Toast 8 DVD image crushes are also running. On the MP I have 4 copies of Handbrake running simultaneous mp4 crushes @ 20 fps. Both Macs are totally compromised to do this. I'm going to bed now and hopefully when I wake up this will all be done.

But you've gotta realize this 8 core will be just as easily hosed as the Quad cores we're running now. I think it's plain that many of us have way more jobs to run on our Macs than even 8 cores can do as fast as we want-need them to.

3 Weeks to Leopard and 5 to our dream come true HSS 8 core MP - I hope.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
3.2 GHz Harpertown Twins Sounds Good To Me

Apple looks set to pinch all Intel's top-bin Penryns. Things start to look bright for us in the waiting line ;)
I sure hope "Tokyo Hummingbirds" are a reliable source. Makes sense when seeing Apple as being the premium brand among all Intel vendors.

Perhaps only Apple would be willing to pay top dollar for the first runs of top speed Xeon Penryns. The pent up demand for what's next insures Apple will not have trouble selling all they can make at whatever price they will want to charge. Based on all the pre-release price sheets, it's still probably going to be less or no more than what they've been paying for Clovertowns anyway. Bring it on!

Just hope the RAM won't cost a fortune if it has to be 800 MHz DDR2 or DDR3 ECC fully buffered DIMMs. I'd like to max it out to 16GB right away so I can run a large RAM disk. Are there already sufficient sources of third party 800 MHz Xeon type workstation RAM? Or will we be back to the astronomical RAM prices of late 2006 due to limited supply again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.