Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I know some DVDs have some kind of copy protection on it and I was wondering if there is a program that will take care of any copy protection a DVD has. I currently use MacTheRipper, but I'm not sure if that program covers all copy protection types.

Thanks. :)

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I know some DVDs have some kind of copy protection on it and I was wondering if there is a program that will take care of any copy protection a DVD has. I currently use MacTheRipper, but I'm not sure if that program covers all copy protection types.

Thanks. :)

I use HandBrake, and have not encountered any DVDs that it can't "Rip." And its free.

Only 10 more till 500!

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I think handbrake is only if you want to rip to a movie format such as .mp4 right? Well, that's what I use it for. What i'm looking for is something to rip a DVD and burn it onto another DVD.

I found Roxio Popcorn, DVD2Zone, and DVDRemaster, but not sure which one to buy.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I think handbrake is only if you want to rip to a movie format such as .mp4 right? Well, that's what I use it for. What i'm looking for is something to rip a DVD and burn it onto another DVD.

I found Roxio Popcorn, DVD2Zone, and DVDRemaster, but not sure which one to buy.

which is illegal, not sure if we can help you with that one

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm sorry, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I want to make backups of my own personal DVDs. There isn't anything illegal about that.

Well, that depends on who you ask and where you live... ;)

Well, you didn't say what the purpose was in your first post.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
download the latest mactheripper 3 from the demon
its just been updated for the latest copy protection in dvds. then burn the dvd with toast 8 using the video_ts option. toast automatically compresses the video_ts folder to fit on a singe layer dvd if neccesary. hardly any quality is lost in the process.
this method is perfect for backuping up my dvd collection. :D

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Please be aware that Fair Use, the doctrine that allows the back-up of your DVD/CDs for personal is not currently legally accepted in the UK and many countries outside of the US.

Hence, here it is illegal to copy DVD's to any format and circumventing the copy protection is a breach of the copyright owners rights.

Whilst I accept that copying is inevitable (you thieving bast*rds...!;):D), please keep discussion away from any information about breaking DRM etc, as we will not allow the forums to be used for discussion of illegal activities.

Thanks.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Be aware that the Mac The Ripper linked to above is v.2.6.6 which has been obsolete for at least two years and is unsupported- and more importantly is not able to back up a number of recent DVDs. To investigate obtaining the current supported version of Mac The Ripper legally, visit http://www.ripdifferent.com, join the Mac The Ripper forum and read the stickies.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Ripit is about as trouble free as it gets. It produces a .dvdmedia file which can be played in the DVD Player app. The .dvdmedia file is actually a folder containing the standard DVD folders and VOB files.

khorsia

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
Fairmount, Mac the Ripper, Handbrake & RipIt.

How does the Fairmount / VLC combination compare to MTR in terms of effectiveness?

:eek:

I, too, have had just an AWFUL time trying to find backup software that would work. I have an extensive DVD collection and I also seem to be "blessed" with family members that (a) have yet to figure out that DVDs are not, as believed, scratch-proof and/or indestructible and (b) like to loan out discs to people who also believe in the invincibility of the CD/DVD format - soooo... I needed to come up with a way to keep the original disc in tact whilst using the backups for day-to-day playback (and avoid having to re-purchase my entire DVD collection once every six months).

Here is what *I* have found:

Fairmount: Is okay. It works on some things and doesn't work on others. it's a very good *idea*, but in practice, to say that it's slow would be an understatement. On a routine rip/backup I am relatively certain that I have enough time to handwrite a translation "War and Peace" into Korean. What it *DOES* work *well* when it does work, but generally, when it fails, it likes to wait until the VERY LAST of the rip to do so (something I like to think of as "inconvenient." Fairmount, like Handbrake (for decoding anyway) uses VLC Player (which, obviously, can play DVDs) to decode the DVD "on the fly" after mounting it. It's the video equivalent of recording digital radio - copying the playback (*NOT* a fast process). Fairmount, *itself*, is free, but if you wish to DO something with the video (and don't want to use Handbrake or something like it), they have a commercial product that allows you to "redesign" or "remaster" the disc in any one of a plethora of ways, called "DVD Remaster" and it runs about $40 ****s for the "standard" version or $50 for the "pro" version, depending on what you need or want to do. Myself... I think that DVD Remaster could use some time to mature and I am sure it's a very good product, but I don't have the patience to deal with such software (35 years with computers and in my old age I have decided that "if something doesn't work right, it gets the hammer," ahaha! If I want to edit it, I will use professional editing software as I don't have the time, the training or, frankly, the inclination to fight with a piece of software - it's more likely than not to get the hammer. :)

Mac the Ripper: Probably one of the longest "lived" pieces of ripping software around and, subsequently, one of the best. It can rip *most* discs with the exception being only some of the newer and more complicated copy-protection scheming (such as "Dark Knight"). When it doesn't work, it simply dies. Just shuts down and OSX tells you that it has encountered a problem and shut down. It also has the advantage of, generally, being one of the more simple applications as well without sacrificing some of the more advanced options such as "Full Movie Extraction," "Title Set Extraction," region specifying, selecting languages on subtitles and audio tracks and more. As of today (I have not checked in a while), the forums site (wherein you would be able to get any and, pretty much, *ALL* of the information on it takes you to the "Anti-Phishing Crimeware 'Prevention'" site. Presumably this is yet ANOTHER attack on them by Macrovision or someone else who doesn't like the fact that a 10mb (all inclusive) piece of software takes about 30 minutes to subvert about $30 million dollars worth of copy protection development. Also, where as Mac the Ripper *used* to be freely distributed, they now ask that you make a monetary gift to them (but not, *technically*, a payment for ripping software as I think this has to do with their legal conflicts with Macrovision and their cronies).

RipIt: After much experimentation (including using Windows - collective GASP!- with an older piece of software, DVD Decrypter *and* the Chinese DVD-Fab), I've found "the one" that *I* thinks works better than any other piece of ripping software on the Mac *whatsoever*. It seems simplistic, but as I've previously stated, if I want to edit the the rip (which I've no reason to given that I am simply backing the suckers up), I would use editing software. RipIt is fast, easy and, more importantly, has yet to fail on any movie but one (an early French DVD about Derek Jarman and I think it has more to do with the format of the DVD because it will play in some players and not in others and it seems to have *absolutely* NOTHING to do with region, but that is another story entirely). I have been able to rip any movie up to and including the latest releases as of 01/20/2009 "New Release Tuesday." It's not free, mind you (which is my favorite price), but it seems to have the most *reasonable* price (about $20 bucks - $18.99 specifically) *AND* it seems to have a lot of helpful and, god forbid, experienced programming personnel behind it. Thus far, they have not had to cloak themselves in total secrecy because the "No, you can't actually back it up because it's not really yours, it's still ours even though you paid for it" Copyright Goons (ie; the MPAA, Macrovision, Satan, etc) haven't sued them *yet* (it's never *IF* when it comes to entertainment media, it's always *WHEN**, sadly). Download the demo, check it out and see if you think I'm right or not.

Well...

This is just MY humble opinion and I hope it's of SOME help (at least you now have GOBS of information on the subject - whether you *wanted* it or not is another story, LOL).

There are other pieces of software out there such as iSkySoft's "DVD Ripper" (inspired title - someone, I am sure, even got *paid* for coming up with that name), but I am not familiar with them in any way.

Let me know how it goes.

Khorsia

dsaad

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Handbrake

I was using MactheRipper to copy my DVD's, but lately after copying I'd attempt at burning the file using Popcorn but when I dragged the ripped file into Popcorn - Popcorn crashed.
So I switched to Handbrake. However Handbrake rips the DVD to an MP4 Format which is played thru ITunes. Can Handbrake rip the DVD to a format similar to the way Mactheripper did? So that the new file acts similar to the original source DVD. And if it can, how is it done? What format do I rip the file into using Handbrake??

Dave

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Please be aware that Fair Use, the doctrine that allows the back-up of your DVD/CDs for personal is not currently legally accepted in the UK and many countries outside of the US.

Hence, here it is illegal to copy DVD's to any format and circumventing the copy protection is a breach of the copyright owners rights.

Whilst I accept that copying is inevitable (you thieving bast*rds...!;):D), please keep discussion away from any information about breaking DRM etc, as we will not allow the forums to be used for discussion of illegal activities.

Thanks.

Better close down the Apple TV and Home Theater forum then. :D

Robster100

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
:eek:

RipIt: After much experimentation (including using Windows - collective GASP!- with an older piece of software, DVD Decrypter *and* the Chinese DVD-Fab), I've found "the one" that *I* thinks works better than any other piece of ripping software on the Mac *whatsoever*. It seems simplistic, but as I've previously stated, if I want to edit the the rip (which I've no reason to given that I am simply backing the suckers up), I would use editing software. RipIt is fast, easy and, more importantly, has yet to fail on any movie but one (an early French DVD about Derek Jarman and I think it has more to do with the format of the DVD because it will play in some players and not in others and it seems to have *absolutely* NOTHING to do with region, but that is another story entirely). I have been able to rip any movie up to and including the latest releases as of 01/20/2009 "New Release Tuesday." It's not free, mind you (which is my favorite price), but it seems to have the most *reasonable* price (about $20 bucks - $18.99 specifically) *AND* it seems to have a lot of helpful and, god forbid, experienced programming personnel behind it. Thus far, they have not had to cloak themselves in total secrecy because the "No, you can't actually back it up because it's not really yours, it's still ours even though you paid for it" Copyright Goons (ie; the MPAA, Macrovision, Satan, etc) haven't sued them *yet* (it's never *IF* when it comes to entertainment media, it's always *WHEN**, sadly). Download the demo, check it out and see if you think I'm right or not.

Well...

This is just MY humble opinion and I hope it's of SOME help (at least you now have GOBS of information on the subject - whether you *wanted* it or not is another story, LOL).

There are other pieces of software out there such as iSkySoft's "DVD Ripper" (inspired title - someone, I am sure, even got *paid* for coming up with that name), but I am not familiar with them in any way.

Let me know how it goes.

Khorsia

Gave Ripit a go and frankly I love it.

VERY simple interface.

Very few options.

But I have now put 20 DVD's though it without a hiccup and a perfect rip every time!

Thanks for the advice.

Robin

R0B1N H00D

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Up until quite recently I have used Mac the Ripper 4.0 and in general have been fairly happy with the program.

However, the $40 app now requires a new payment for every update. This decision is fairly transparently driven by greed from a developer who isn't active on the forum, will be absent for long periods of time, and isn't pumping out impressive releases or anything. Essentially, I'm doing my best to move away from it.

Very quickly I'd like to mention that as a college student I've donated a couple hundred dollars to two completely opensource projects (where donations didn't get you anything more than what was being released for free). I believe in supporting developers, but this level of greed that I'm uncomfortable with, and it particularly ridiculous considering the bizzarre paypal confirmation, "Gift Insturctions' ******** you have to go through every time.

At the moment I'm using DVD Ripper Pro and have been having a pleasant time with it. I experimented with RipIt, but quite frankly I found it too simplistic and was not impressed by its speed.

DVD Ripper Pro is very reasonably priced and rips quickly. A few more ripping options would be nice and the UI definitely leaves plenty to be desired, but so far my experience has been quite pleasant. That said, I am still looking around for that perfect application, and would be especially psyched to find something that could deal with Blurays and DVDs (I'm a big fan of streamlined but complete programs where I can do everything I want with just one program open).

If anyone finds a DVD ripper they see some great quality in, please keep sharing it with people here, as I know I'll still be looking!

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
one thing that seems to be seriously missing from dvd rippers is a decent subtitle extractor! even handbrake, which has some facility for it, leaves plenty to be desired. does anybody know of a commercial or free dvd ripper that will allow me to rip only the foreign language parts to subtitles?

this would be very much appreciated!

Mac3

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Problem with Mactheripper

I've done a bit of research on how to make copies of retail DVDs. I have used mactheripper to save the disc to my hard drive which seems to work OK. I have a trial version of DVD2oneX to burn the copy and when I go to locate the file in DVD2oneX I get a message that there is "no valid dvd-video fileset". I can see that mactheripper has copied the DVD to my hard drive.

Can anyone help? What an I doing wrong?

All help very much appreciated.

Mac3

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
+1 for RipIt.

MacTheRipper (and the associated forums) are run by a bunch of Nazi-jerks.

RipIt is a professional piece of software, created and updated be a bunch of real professionals.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm currently trying a bunch of different options. I like both MTR and RipIt, but both only handle one disc at a time and I've decided it's time to backup my full, large, collection.

I've started using FairMount with the fantastic Automator flow described here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

FairMount is slow, but it handles multiple drives in parallel. It may take longer per disc, but I have to make few trips to the computer so less time is wasted.

BENI

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
first step try re-installing vlc.

also a possibility is that a more up to date version would solve the problem. particularly if you've just updated to lion or something?

then try reinstalling handbrake - again get the latest compatible version.

also try and make sure both the programs are running either 32bit or 64bit. you can change that on the "get info" panel of an app. sounds like you want.

it's possible someone (who knows more than me) would suggest deleting the preferences file in handbrake (~/library/preferences/org.m0k.handbrake)
this file would be recreated on next launch but may remove and preferences or ripping presets.

i've not had that problem since leopard and i think a re-install/update of one or the other did the trick for me.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.