Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Can anyone recommend good time management software?

I've tried iGTD which is just too complex for me. On the other hand, I've tried Lifeshaker, and that's too simple.

I want something easy and pleasant to use, so that I DO use it. At the moment I keep reverting to a pen and paper, which seems wrong! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Phil

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
iCal is a great calendar but useless for to do lists. I want something more powerful that allows me to organise my tasks by category, priority, and add notes and perhaps relevant files.

I've just been looking at Midnight Inbox but, like iGTD it uses the Getting things Done philosophy which, despite being flagged as something Mac users like (because it's geeky, I think) it's just too much hassle for me.

Phil

chatoyer

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Te Wai Pounamu, New Zealand
I know what you mean about iGTD. I was a bit frazzled with it at first as well. Stick with it though - if you want, you can just use as a souped-up task manager and for that it's not bad. Allows you to associate email messages, which is handy.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
I know what you mean about iGTD. I was a bit frazzled with it at first as well. Stick with it though - if you want, you can just use as a souped-up task manager and for that it's not bad. Allows you to associate email messages, which is handy.

I'm sure it's great, but it's not right for me - I've been trying it for sometime.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
I've been playing around with Notebook and it's very clever, but maybe not ideal for time management. I may keep it for project management and, well, for notes.

Still searching for my to-do software :rolleyes:

Phil

monstergirly

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I said Notebook was neato! It doesn't do To-Do lists "out of the box" but if you wanted to you could probably build something with it. I use it for keeping track of all kinds of shtuff.

There's a web-based thing - http://backpackit.com/ - just another idea...

Happy task managing!

:D

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
iCal is a great calendar but useless for to do lists. I want something more powerful that allows me to organise my tasks by category, priority, and add notes and perhaps relevant files.
Phil
???

iCal can do all of that, except for the file-attachment part.

Nikh

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Kyiv
Can anyone recommend good time management software?

I've tried iGTD which is just too complex for me. On the other hand, I've tried Lifeshaker, and that's too simple.

I want something easy and pleasant to use, so that I DO use it.
Phil
Yeah, I understand that you asked your question in 2007. Just a half of year ago we started a project for really easy and quick to use but powerful to-do list maneger for Mac OS X.
And, I think, we'll done something you will like to use - Todo Lists application by AntLogic.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
I'm still here! Thanks for this. I'm actually using Things now, mainly because it works on my iPhone and iPad, and everything remains in sync.

Best of luck with your app.

Cheers

Phil

MrTemps

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
Austria
I'm using Omnifocus, I plan and manage nearly everything with it. And I'm very exited for whats new in Omnifocus 2.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I like the look of Notebook and am downloading it now.

Thanks

Phil

Circus Ponies is excellent, however, it does have a unique feature set that makes moving to another GTD app difficult.

It's a great 'Swiss Army Knife' of organization.

Beau Nash

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
York, UK
This is the second time in a couple of days I've recommended Evernote on these boards. I'm not an evangelist, honest!

Anyway, if you Google* GTD and Evernote, there are plenty of hits on how to integrate the GTD philosophy with Evernote.

Having said that, the latest Mac iteration of the Evernote desktop client is not without its detractors, in much the same way as Mountain Lion, and for similar reasons.

*Other search engines are available.

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I've tried a few and stuck with Things. What I like about it is their tagging feature. I have 2 employees and do the billing for my office. I tag each task as either employee and throw it in a folder "this to talk about" I then check that each meeting. I also tag any billing related issue with the insurance companies name. When I go to make my calls I choose one tag and make sure I go over each issue each time I call rather than forgetting and calling them back multiple times.
I also use their Project section too. If something becomes too complex or has multiple taks I make a project. For example I see some personal injury patients, I make a project for them and lay out their tasks (notes/send billing/reexam etc.) with specific dates.
Perhaps my favorite feature is how easy it is to drag/move something into Scheduled and move it to a date. On that date you open Things and there it is in your Yellow Daily List. You can choose to move those tasks right from there to other days or add them to today.

DanielLebaro

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Even I am looking a good Time tracking software. As I already tried so many before. The software should have some advance features like report generator etc. and easy to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.