Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As someone who relies heavily on my 3G smartphone for data access "in the wild", I've decided that the iPhone isn't for me (purely because of the lack of 3G). The iPod touch looked like a perfect device for my needs with one glaring exception: No bluetooth tethering to my phone for internet access when wi-fi isn't available. However, thanks to some very clever people, it is possible (if you have a Windows Mobile 5 or Windows Mobile 6 smartphone) to share the phone's internet connection over an ad-hoc wi-fi connection between the phone and the iPod touch. I've done this myself tonight with my iPod touch to my Samsung i600 and it works like a dream :D
The instructions can be found in this thread and I can now use safari on my touch to browse the internet and collect my (web)mail anywhere in the country. This is a massive boost for me and I'm sure I won't be the only one :)

robertma1

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Duh, I only have bluetooth on my smartphone. I tether to my laptop with BT, maybe I can then adhoc share the laptops connection to the touch?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Duh, I only have bluetooth on my smartphone. I tether to my laptop with BT, maybe I can then adhoc share the laptops connection to the touch?

You could do that, although it sounds a bit complicated! In OSX you just set up internet sharing, and I'm sure you can do a similar thing with Windows (don't know the details, though)

robertma1

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
I agree. Although I travel a lot and like using the portable device on the night stand while my laptop is on the desk.

bonkiebonks

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Can anyone suggest a good HSDPA 3G phone with WiFi to hook it up with the iPod Touch? I've got an N95, but I can't figure out a way to share the HSDPA internet on it via WiFi. Perhaps someone can write some kind of app for the N95 to do it?

Zeromus

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
Can anyone suggest a good HSDPA 3G phone with WiFi to hook it up with the iPod Touch? I've got an N95, but I can't figure out a way to share the HSDPA internet on it via WiFi. Perhaps someone can write some kind of app for the N95 to do it?

I've got a N80 and would kill to do this. Anyone know of a s60v3 app that could share 3G data over wifi? I'll be your best friend ;)

Triplenickle

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
I would love something like this for my Treo 755p and the iPod Touch. I hate having the iPod Touch and but no BT DUNing....Any work arounds would be appreciated.

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
I can't get this to work for the life of me. They see each other, as far as i can tell, but the iPt can't connect to the interwebs.

DMSROX2

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
iTouch to a Treo 700P.......... my dream

It would solve my problems totally if I could tether my iTouch to my Treo 700P.

Donnie

BII

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
finally figured out what i was doing wrong, and it works, although edge is pretty slow :eek: something is better than nothing i suppose.

aft

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Stupid PPC-6700 won't do it! How do I convince my wife I need a new phone after convincing her I needed a $400 iPod touch???

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I would love something like this for my Treo 755p and the iPod Touch. I hate having the iPod Touch and but no BT DUNing....Any work arounds would be appreciated.

Same here... I have a spring 755p and I'd love to be able to tether my ipod touch off of it. Any way to do this?

Sarwanster

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.