Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I couldn't spot the license terms for Creative Suite, or its individual components, at Adobe's website. Is there a URL for it?

For some upcoming purchases, I'd like to know:
  • Can the software be installed for use by one person on multiple Macs?
  • If so, does the second Mac have to be a laptop?
  • Are there restrictions on the uses of "education" copies?
  • Can "education" copies be upgraded?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Here you go: http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

In short:

You may install it on two computers provided only one is used at a time. The second machine does not have to be a laptop.

You must qualify to use education version software. I did not see a statement in the EULA either way regarding upgrading education versions.

Hope that helps!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We buy education licenses for work, as we're a registered charity, and I'm responsible for purchasing and documenting all our graphics licenses and providing all that information to the Federation Against Software Theft for our accreditation.

So, from my practical experience:

1) You may install and activate each license on two machines.

2) The second Mac does not have to be a laptop.

3) There are no inherent software restrictions on educational licenses, apart from purchase, reselling or license transfer. All updates and patches are available and there is no restriction on the work you produce.

4) Education copies can not be upgraded within an educational upgrade path. New educational versions of the Creative Suite have to be purchased anew; which is why we have full edu versions of CS1 sitting in boxes gathering dust.

Full CS3 EULA PDF here (includes Edu info within each language section):
http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-CS3-20060817_1651.pdf

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks, Naimfan, and thanks, Blue Velvet. I did find that page, but I thought the Creative Suite 3 pdf was broken because it looked like Arabic. But just now I took a second look, and realized it is Arabic but you can scroll down for other languages, with English last!

2.4 Portable or Home Computer Use: The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exculsive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.​
That apparently means that I can't install the primary copy at home and also use it at work, but I can install the primary copy at work and also use it at home.

I see only one restriction on education copies:
4.4 You may not transfer education copies of the software [to another individual or legal entity's computer].​

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I see only one restriction on education copies:
4.4 You may not transfer education copies of the software [to another individual or legal entity's computer].​

If you go to the store and look at upgrades, it does not appear to let you upgrade from an education version. That's about all I could see on their site.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
  • Can "education" copies be upgraded?
Well... sort of:

An important note about upgrading your software: Your personal investment in Adobe products may continue to be valuable, even if you no longer meet the qualifications for Adobe Education pricing. Please contact the online Adobe Store or your local reseller for information about upgrades to commercial versions of your products.
[link]

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
If you go to the store and look at upgrades, it does not appear to let you upgrade from an education version. That's about all I could see on their site.

A few months ago I called the Adobe Online Store to ask about upgrading from the education version and was told that they'll sell you the regular commercial upgrade version once you're no longer eligible for the education product pricing.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
A few months ago I called the Adobe Online Store to ask about upgrading from the education version and was told that they'll sell you the regular commercial upgrade version once you're no longer eligible for the education product pricing.

That's cool! It'd be nice if they'd say something like that on the website.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
3) There are no inherent software restrictions on educational licenses, apart from purchase, reselling or license transfer. All updates and patches are available and there is no restriction on the work you produce.

So you can use an academic version for commercial purposes?
In Australia, it appears you can only install it one one computer and not use for academic purposes?

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=5559

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In Australia, it appears you can only install it one one computer and not use for academic purposes?

Sure, here in the UK you can. And yes, it seems so. The Australian Adobe page for the same product is different... and that might have something to do with local legislation or something else.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
adobe educational licence i was told when i bought it form adobe.

1. Can be upgraded full non edu licence with a retail upgrade
2. Can be installed on 2 macs i use only.
3. Can be used for me making money.

flrazor

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Saint Paul, MN
From my experience a few years out of college and having to do this same research before upgrading (according to the US licensing):

You CAN use the software on 2 machines, just not at the same time on both. The software doesn't check to see which is "primary" and which is "secondary" and doesn't use separate license codes. It does not have to be a portable to be your secondary machine.

The only restriction is that you may not buy an education version if you do not qualify as a student at the time of purchase. Most people selling are attached to colleges and check ID to sell, that's about it. The software is branded as educational version, but it can be used for commercial work during and after you are finished with school.

You can upgrade to a commercial version with the license you get with your educational copy. There aren't educational upgrades available though, after you buy your discounted full copy, you have to get the retail upgrade (which is still pretty cheap) to update to the most current version.

I upgraded from CS edu to CS3 retail when it released with no troubles on either my desktop or laptop.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You CAN use the software on 2 machines, just not at the same time on both. The software doesn't check to see which is "primary" and which is "secondary" and doesn't use separate license codes. It does not have to be a portable to be your secondary machine.
Thanks for the info. I didn't make the distinction before, but I wanted to know what I'm permitted to do under the EULA and less concerned with what it actually checks for. So my comment about which computer needed to be primary was a smirk about the way they state the requirement.

The only restriction is that you may not buy an education version if you do not qualify as a student at the time of purchase.
Or... an employee of an educational institution. I may qualify even though I am neither of those, because I am the head of a school's technology planning group (one of my other "jobs"). I'm only a volunteer -- no pay stub to show for it -- but if you can show you are affiliated with an educational institution, they may approve your order after reviewing your evidence. You have to apply with each purchase you make.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
So In Summation ...

Well... sort of:

[link]

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=5559

adobe educational licence i was told when i bought it form adobe.

1. Can be upgraded full non edu licence with a retail upgrade
2. Can be installed on 2 macs i use only.
3. Can be used for me making money.

From my experience a few years out of college and having to do this same research before upgrading (according to the US licensing):

The only restriction is that you may not buy an education version if you do not qualify as a student at the time of purchase. Most people selling are attached to colleges and check ID to sell, that's about it. The software is branded as educational version, but it can be used for commercial work during and after you are finished with school.

You can upgrade to a commercial version with the license you get with your educational copy. There aren't educational upgrades available though, after you buy your discounted full copy, you have to get the retail upgrade (which is still pretty cheap) to update to the most current version.

I upgraded from CS edu to CS3 retail when it released with no troubles on either my desktop or laptop.
You guys and gals all beat me to it. ;) I was gonna say all that. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.