Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tidbits optimistically points to a new 3G chipset from Broadcom as the chip that Apple has been waiting for.

The new Broadcom chip is described as "a new single-chip HSPA (high-speed packet access) processor that integrates all of the key 3G (third generation) cellular and mobile technologies on an extremely low power, single 65 nanometer CMOS die. "

The press release claims that it will allow manufacturers to build 3G phones with sleek form factors and a very long battery life.

Apple's Steve Jobs has been vocal that high power consumption has been the main hurdle towards adopting 3G technologies into the iPhone. Apple is expected to release a 3G iPhone in the future. Whether or not this chip plays a role remains to be seen.

Article Link

mclihah2

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Dang

The iPhone isn't even out in the UK yet, and already it's looking really prehistoric.

Steve Jobs has already stated (in the UK iPhone launch) that next year, low powered 3G chips will be available (hinting that the next gen iPhone will be low powered 3G). Well, now we hear that the new Broadcom chip has a low powered 3G element to it.

I'm not buying that 1st generation iPhone no matter... Especially this close to Macworld 2008.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've decided to hold off on my iPhone purchase for now. I'd much rather have a 3G iPhone, and since I only buy a new phone every few years I'd rather have one with the newest communication tech.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I've decided to hold off on my iPhone purchase for now. I'd much rather have a 3G iPhone, and since I only buy a new phone every few years I'd rather have one with the newest communication tech.

Me too but I'm not waiting. I still think we might be a minimum of 6 months from actual release of this revision though I'd be more inclined to say we're still 10 months off (particularly in the UK). I expect an upgrade path for iPhone v1 buyers.

The other fly in this particular ointment is the useless coverage O2 sports for it's 3G network (still).

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Me too but I'm not waiting. I still think we might be a minimum of 6 months from actual release of this revision though I'd be more inclined to say we're still 10 months off (particularly in the UK). I expect an upgrade path for iPhone v1 buyers.

The other fly in this particular ointment is the useless coverage O2 sports for it's 3G network (still).

Agreed.

My iPhone should be with me very soon (damn Royal Mail) and then I can have a play with it. I am currently with vodafone and won't be signing a new contract until Rev B or iPhone 2 is released. I have another 5 months or so left, so I will just sit back and relax.:cool:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Agreed.

My iPhone should be with me very soon (damn Royal Mail) and then I can have a play with it. I am currently with vodafone and won't be signing a new contract until Rev B or iPhone 2 is released. I have another 5 months or so left, so I will just sit back and relax.:cool:

Well sit back and relax with an outmoded/insecure firmware ;)

When you get Leopard you won't have a2dp, full notes support, full todo support, maybe mms etc etc

(j/k I dont think O2 are a good network at all and maybe Vodafone will get the 3G version also. That is where my plan breaks down).

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Well sit back and relax with an outmoded/insecure firmware ;)

When you get Leopard you won't have a2dp, full notes support, full todo support, maybe mms etc etc

(j/k I dont think O2 are a good network at all and maybe Vodafone will get the 3G version also. That is where my plan breaks down).

I'm going to jailbreak it when I get it - so it's basically a touch with all the apps and a camera and bluetooth.

Then I am going to pay for iphonesimfree unlocking - which doesn't change the baseband modem and this means that 1.1.1 shouldn't brick it. Obviously, I'll see what happens... but for some reason, Apple don't seem to mind iphonesimfree but do mind the free unlock, which I find interesting!

As for the plan; I sold my Sharp 903SH for £220 and got the iPhone for £260 inc postage (no tax :D). I pay £15 a month for my mobile useage, so unless I find my life is changed by this device - I won't mind. I'll only get a better iphone on a contract, not this one on nov 9th.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I'm going to jailbreak it when I get it - so it's basically a touch with all the apps and a camera and bluetooth.

Then I am going to pay for iphonesimfree unlocking - which doesn't change the baseband modem and this means that 1.1.1 shouldn't brick it. Obviously, I'll see what happens... but for some reason, Apple don't seem to mind iphonesimfree but do mind the free unlock, which I find interesting!

Yes, I'd say that was not really a case of Apple 'minding' more that one solution is cludgier than the other.

I think your approach is fine as long as you know the risks and approach updates with due caution. I have a problem with the whine-fests that result from firmware updates. ie. if someone is (wo)man enough to "hack" then be (wo)man enough to deal with the consequences.

...I'll get off my soapbox now :)

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Apple don't seem to mind iphonesimfree but do mind the free unlock, which I find interesting!

i think it's a case of the free unlock having been badly done (and the iphonesimfree done well) and causing it's own problems rather than apple taking any stance.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Wait until you receive it before you say no tax. I've been bitten by this before.

I was lucky. It arrived in the UK two weeks ago - the my brother sent it to me (I was in Cyprus on holiday). No tax to pay - not when he received it at least...

As for being man enough to hack - sure thing. I won't be clicking away on 'update' any time soon! I'll just see how I go. If it works - great. If not, I still have a really cool iPhone that I can sell for what I paid or near enough/give to my brother who is on O2...

Either way, pop over and have a play when it finally gets to me...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I was lucky. It arrived in the UK two weeks ago - the my brother sent it to me (I was in Cyprus on holiday). No tax to pay - not when he received it at least...

Phew.

As for being man enough to hack - sure thing. I won't be clicking away on 'update' any time soon! I'll just see how I go. If it works - great. If not, I still have a really cool iPhone that I can sell for what I paid or near enough/give to my brother who is on O2...

That's exactly the spirit in which it should be approached imo.

Either way, pop over and have a play when it finally gets to me...

Will do...looking forward to seeing the new toy! :)

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
I hope this chip actually delivers; my last phone had EVDO and the thing wouldn't last 12 hours without a charge even if I barely used it. It actually made me thankful for iPhone's EDGE! :eek:

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
this chip is intended for phones shipping in 2009 :-(

""We have engineering samples and we anticipate that HSUPA phones targeting the mid-tier price market using the part will be on sale during the first half of 2009," Mike Civiello, senior director of marketing at Broadcom's Mobile and Wireless business unit told EE Times Europe ."

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202402320

Not sure where you came up with this... could you point to your source? The article states that it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 months after the sampling, or around 2nd quarter of 2008 if Apple decides to grab it up pretty quick...

"The chip is shipping in small quantities now - called "sampling" - to Broadcom's best customers. The price in quantity will be $23 per chip when it ships, at a date not yet announced, but which is typically a range of 3 to 6 months following sampling in the chip industry.

I don't need to spell out too much how such a chip would affect Apple's plans, which would put a 3G phone into the second quarter 2008 timeframe should Apple decide this chip has the features it needs and can engineer around it rapidly."

And we all know that Apple likes to engineer things rapidly ;)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Phew.

That's exactly the spirit in which it should be approached imo.

Will do...looking forward to seeing the new toy! :)

On my way to the sorting office now... so I should be playing with it tonight. Not sure when I will get it unlocked yet, but that's a different story to jailbreaking :D

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I bought one on day 1.

I will buy another on 3g iphone day 1.

The productivty and usability gains that I have _already_ received from the iphone have just about paid for it in whole already.

Bring on the iphone 3G!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
this chip is intended for phones shipping in 2009 :-(

""We have engineering samples and we anticipate that HSUPA phones targeting the mid-tier price market using the part will be on sale during the first half of 2009," Mike Civiello, senior director of marketing at Broadcom's Mobile and Wireless business unit told EE Times Europe ."

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202402320

Just in time for the first iPhone contracts to start running out. :)

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I still don't buy the battery life argument for 3G

I hope this chip actually delivers; my last phone had EVDO and the thing wouldn't last 12 hours without a charge even if I barely used it. It actually made me thankful for iPhone's EDGE! :eek:

You just happened to have a ***** phone. There are many 3G phones (maybe not as slim as an iphone though) that get 5+ hours of talktime and at least 5+ days of standby. On another note, I believe EVDO is used for voice/standby/waiting for a call where as with the GSM track a 3G phone can use standard GSM for voice/standby/waiting for a call and only use UMTS/HSPA for data services, thus being even more efficient than EVDO.

Although you may use a phone like an iPhone alot more because of the iPod functions and the great browser, and it does indeed have a large screen, I still think Jobs is hyping the battery life of 3G phones. I would much rather have a 3G iPhone with less battery life than an EDGE iPhone, and obviously a user removable/second battery would be even better.
It also seems as if Apple has the engineering expertise (or their partners) to really squeeze the battery life out of devices, whether it's in the electronics or the batteries themselves. I would have to think Apple would be using the best possible batteries, and their components for the iPhone would be some of the most power efficient available. That's why I still find it strange that Apple launched an EDGE iPhone (other than AT&T's crappy network). Jobs has said twice now that 3G phone battery life needs to get "back up to 5+ hours".
While the size of the iPhone may indeed mean a smaller battery cell, I don't know (haven't looked at what the iSupply tear down guys found for battery size).

Here are some tested battery life values for popular 3G phones:

AT&T 8525 UMTS/HSDPA
talk time (tested): 6 hours
standby (tested): 8.3 days

HTC Mogul PPC-6800 EVDO
talk time (tested): 6.5 hours
standby (tested): 7.0 days

Nokia N95 UMTS/HSDPA
talk time (tested): 8.5 hours
standby (tested): 8.0 days

vx9900 enV EVDO
talk time (tested): 4.75 hours
standby (spec): 19.0 days

Motorola Slvr L7 EVDO
talk time (tested) 5.0 hours
standby (tested) 11.5 days

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I am all set for 3G, I will just give the EDGE one to my wife!

Anyone know if T-Mo has a 3G network, or will this make an honest man of me, and get me to switch to ATT?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.