Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:13 PM   #326
new0rder
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShaman View Post
can u turn the gamma down and compare em again? ur ipod def. doesnt have the neg. screen issue, im thinking its got smth to do with the gamma
where u turn the gamma? I sync the pic to the touch and copy the pic to PsP
new0rder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:17 PM   #327
Cloudane
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Cloudane
The PSP is a tough act to follow in terms of general screen quality, it has to be said.

There's possibly a certain amount of loss due to it being touchscreen. I remember some of the first touchscreens (still using a Psion Series 5) and at the time you had a massive loss in contrast for that functionality.
Cloudane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 07:43 PM   #328
DJMORGAN
macrumors newbie

Serial: 1A738
Model: 16 GB iPod Touch - Upgraded firmware to 1.1.1

I do not think the issue is gone completely, whilst it is clear there are now few new batches with the issue it appears that some Week 38 models are still having issues.

Mine is not as bad as some of the ones I have seen here, the blacks dont seem to go negative but anything that is in the darker ranges are barely to not visible.

I have tested using the screen tests posted by others and the Jay-Z cover. The Jay-Z cover seems to be ok but it is extremely lacking in brightness (my brightness is at 100% btw) I can barely see any of the details and the image at all. the main shapes are there and the colous seem to be correct but it is just very hard to see. This is a stark contrast compared to my laptop monitor. Which shows all the detail and creases etc in the hands.

With the screen test images the two that stick out the most are the Gamma Calibration and Contrast Test.

For comparisons sake on the contrast test only box 10 and above can be clearly seen as a different shade to their background, this test does not even seem to be affected by the angle I view the screen at. On the Gamma Calibration everything looks as it should except for the first column which becomes practically invisible and is starkly contrasted by the next column.

Can anybody confirm whether I am being picky or should I be able to see these details without any issues?
DJMORGAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:14 PM   #329
poponegra
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMORGAN View Post
Serial: 1A738
Model: 16 GB iPod Touch - Upgraded firmware to 1.1.1

I do not think the issue is gone completely, whilst it is clear there are now few new batches with the issue it appears that some Week 38 models are still having issues.

Mine is not as bad as some of the ones I have seen here, the blacks dont seem to go negative but anything that is in the darker ranges are barely to not visible.

I have tested using the screen tests posted by others and the Jay-Z cover. The Jay-Z cover seems to be ok but it is extremely lacking in brightness (my brightness is at 100% btw) I can barely see any of the details and the image at all. the main shapes are there and the colous seem to be correct but it is just very hard to see. This is a stark contrast compared to my laptop monitor. Which shows all the detail and creases etc in the hands.

With the screen test images the two that stick out the most are the Gamma Calibration and Contrast Test.

For comparisons sake on the contrast test only box 10 and above can be clearly seen as a different shade to their background, this test does not even seem to be affected by the angle I view the screen at. On the Gamma Calibration everything looks as it should except for the first column which becomes practically invisible and is starkly contrasted by the next column.

Can anybody confirm whether I am being picky or should I be able to see these details without any issues?
Nope, you are actually right, mine is a week 38 and still has the negative screen issue, it's not as bad, but it is there. I compared the contrast test with an iPhone and the iPhone looks significantly better than my iPod touch, week 37 & 36 iPods that were in display were way worse though.
poponegra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:29 PM   #330
DJMORGAN
macrumors newbie

Just an update I am not sure if the latest 1.1.1 update has had a placebo effect but there does appear to be an improvement. The contrast test still seems to "fail" but now it fails at square 8 instead of 10.

Can anyone compare the tests and tell me if they can see any of the squares of a lower number than 8?
DJMORGAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:21 PM   #331
Chris.Thomson
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Chris.Thomson
Wow, I'm way behind... I didn't know about certain weeks being defective, I just knew "some" were defective. I should really read more RSS....
Chris.Thomson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:40 AM   #332
Adokimus
macrumors 6502a

Better late than never...

Just got my "preorder" iPod Touch delivered today. Week 38, Macy Gray, good screen... woot. Kinda late to be adding here, but us preorder folks had to wait... and wait...

Peace,

Ado
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:08 AM   #333
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by poponegra View Post
Nope, you are actually right, mine is a week 38 and still has the negative screen issue, it's not as bad, but it is there. I compared the contrast test with an iPhone and the iPhone looks significantly better than my iPod touch, week 37 & 36 iPods that were in display were way worse though.
Yea, with the first batch of "expensive" iPhones, Apple used a decent screen. Now with the price drops and the new Touch, they went to a cheaper screen.

What you see now (week 38 onward) is what you get...
Old Oct 2, 2007, 05:41 PM   #334
erasr
macrumors 6502

Got a week 38 and its all good it seems. Except, Ive mentioned it in another thread, but when I have the headphones in and not listening to anything, such as on home screen, there is a fuzz, slight fuzz noise, dunno if it can be described as a hiss but its like background crackle. When music is on, i can hardly hear it and is like any other audio player, maybe except when the song is really quiet the background noise could be heard.

Is this normal? Is there a slight noise in your headphones when not listening to anything?
erasr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:10 PM   #335
new0rder
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasr View Post
Got a week 38 and its all good it seems. Except, Ive mentioned it in another thread, but when I have the headphones in and not listening to anything, such as on home screen, there is a fuzz, slight fuzz noise, dunno if it can be described as a hiss but its like background crackle. When music is on, i can hardly hear it and is like any other audio player, maybe except when the song is really quiet the background noise could be heard.

Is this normal? Is there a slight noise in your headphones when not listening to anything?
turn off wifi, interference
new0rder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:59 PM   #336
jepaz
macrumors regular

I got my replacement week 37 with 38 (1D738) and surely there is a big difference with the screen.
jepaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:01 PM   #337
richardhunt
macrumors regular

I have an 9C737 and did the update on it. Negative blacks not there anymore, but using the test charts www.lagom.nl I cannot make out more than 1 row of grayscale in the "contrast test" (unless I twist it to an extreme angle, then I can make out 2 rows) and on the White Saturation test, I can only make out the first square and it looks kind of bluish, all others just blend into the white.

I purchased a 1E738 today just to see if there was an appreciable difference and there was. I was originally going to keep my week 37, but after comparing the two, the week 37 is going back tomorrow. On the week 38, I can clearly see the 3 rows in the contrast test and make out two complete rows of grayscale blocks within the white saturation test. This is without twisting the ipod to extreme angles, but rather head on view. Other observations:

1. There are a lot of blown highlights in photos where there was a strong flash on the week 37, on the 38 they looked normal.
2. Comparing the wifi setup screens, the gray background on the week 38 looks gray, on the the week 37 it looks near white.
3. Title bars have a grayish blue hue to them on week 38, on the updated week 37, it's almost a silverish gray.
4. The text that runs on top of the coverflow screen (says ipod then the time and the battery gauge), it's grey in the week 38, and white in the week 37.

Just some of the observations before I restored and packed the week 37 ipod. My week 38 ipod already had the 1.1.1 update installed and it came in a Macy Gray box.
richardhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:18 PM   #338
aidanpendragon
macrumors 6502a

Hmm yeah, just mentioned my lengthy experience tonight with bogus Wk. 37 and Wk. 38 replacements in a sep. thread, but I'll add here too: Wk 38 w./1.1.1 and it's still no good.
aidanpendragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 04:45 AM   #339
Cloudane
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Cloudane
Seems ok. The Jayz test doesn't look 100% perfect looking straight on (though maybe 95% perfect), though with it tilted away by maybe 5 degrees - which is the angle I'd watch it anyway because hands just seem to go to that angle? it's then perfect.

This applies whether watching it horizontally or vertically, so it's probably more to do with ambient light / reflection than the screen itself. It might even be that I'm not judging "straight on" correctly.

I really don't think it's an issue. Videos seem to look perfect regardless.
Cloudane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 09:39 AM   #340
BronzeOwl
macrumors newbie

My week 38 good also

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhunt View Post
I have an 9C737 and did the update on it. Negative blacks not there anymore, but using the test charts www.lagom.nl I cannot make out more than 1 row of grayscale in the "contrast test" (unless I twist it to an extreme angle, then I can make out 2 rows) and on the White Saturation test, I can only make out the first square and it looks kind of bluish, all others just blend into the white.

I purchased a 1E738 today just to see if there was an appreciable difference and there was. I was originally going to keep my week 37, but after comparing the two, the week 37 is going back tomorrow. On the week 38, I can clearly see the 3 rows in the contrast test and make out two complete rows of grayscale blocks within the white saturation test. This is without twisting the ipod to extreme angles, but rather head on view. Other observations:

1. There are a lot of blown highlights in photos where there was a strong flash on the week 37, on the 38 they looked normal.
2. Comparing the wifi setup screens, the gray background on the week 38 looks gray, on the the week 37 it looks near white.
3. Title bars have a grayish blue hue to them on week 38, on the updated week 37, it's almost a silverish gray.
4. The text that runs on top of the coverflow screen (says ipod then the time and the battery gauge), it's grey in the week 38, and white in the week 37.

Just some of the observations before I restored and packed the week 37 ipod. My week 38 ipod already had the 1.1.1 update installed and it came in a Macy Gray box.
Got my week 38 yesterday and had the same good experiences. Apple is shipping week 38's to Dallas, TX 5 at a time. Yesterday's (Oct 2) shipment to Fry's, all 5 gone. CompUSA had 3 left at 3pm.
BronzeOwl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:21 PM   #341
janericster
macrumors newbie

Serial 1A737 series looks fine...

Purchased my Touch on Oct. 1 at the Newport Beach, CA Apple Store and it is a 1A737 series serial number (with Macy on the box).

The 1.1.1 patch was already installed when I first plugged it into iTunes.

I was VERY nervous about the video quality, but quickly found that the quality matches my LCD monitor screen at near 100%. I compared a paused frame of a MP4 video that I downloaded to the Touch with the exact same frame displayed in QuickTime player on my computer monitor (Dell 24" LCD) and they look absolutely identical in the shades of black, contrast, and overall brightness. This was a dark scene in Mission Impossible 3.

The auto brightness on the Touch didn't seem to make any difference other than it reduced the brightness very slightly in auto mode...contrast was not affected.
janericster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 06:32 PM   #342
richardl
macrumors newbie

New video black problem since the 1.1.1 update

My Week 38 16GB Touch which arrived working fine has started exhibiting some weirdness with video since the 1.1.1 update. (Video is AVC MPEG4 like The Office episodes from iTunes Store and YouTube video.) Sometimes video will appear with the black colors mapped to weird random colors. Almost as if a color lookup table palette was being programmed wrong. If I reboot the Touch (hold both buttons down for 10 seconds) the problem gets fixed. This problem never occurred before the update.
richardl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 02:13 AM   #343
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardl View Post
My Week 38 16GB Touch which arrived working fine has started exhibiting some weirdness with video since the 1.1.1 update. (Video is AVC MPEG4 like The Office episodes from iTunes Store and YouTube video.) Sometimes video will appear with the black colors mapped to weird random colors. Almost as if a color lookup table palette was being programmed wrong. If I reboot the Touch (hold both buttons down for 10 seconds) the problem gets fixed. This problem never occurred before the update.
I noticed that with the display models in the Bluewater Apple Store as well but they were week 37s running 1.1, so I guess the 1.1.1 update has had the same effect on the working iPods! But it seems week 39s which come with 1.1.1 are fine...
PowerFullMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 03:58 PM   #344
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

The screen issues is a shiny, negative style when watching videos with lots of black in them. This happened alot in wk36,37 early releases.

Since then software 1.1.1 has resolved this issue in many machines.

Another way to tell is open up the calculator app and if the black inbetween the keys shows a leather black look your screen is ok. If its shiny black then update the software or take it back.

Mine is a wk37 with Macy on with 1.1.1 woth no issues.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.1
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.1
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:33 PM   #345
SitePlan
macrumors newbie

I just got my week 38 and it came with version 1.1.1 already installed out of the box. But when I try to restore it, iTunes tells me that it's going to download an update which is version 1.1.1 but I'm a little reluctant on updating because I read alot of post about people updating their week 38 to version 1.1.1 and got a bad screen result.

First of all, I don't get why iTunes is downloading version 1.1.1 update when my Touch is already version 1.1.1 from manufacturer? oh and by the way, iTunes is downloading the 150mb update.

Should I update or just wait for 1.1.2 or whatever the next update is? because I really want to jailbreak this baby.

-Site
SitePlan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:26 PM   #346
yensed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitePlan View Post
I just got my week 38 and it came with version 1.1.1 already installed out of the box. But when I try to restore it, iTunes tells me that it's going to download an update which is version 1.1.1 but I'm a little reluctant on updating because I read alot of post about people updating their week 38 to version 1.1.1 and got a bad screen result.

First of all, I don't get why iTunes is downloading version 1.1.1 update when my Touch is already version 1.1.1 from manufacturer? oh and by the way, iTunes is downloading the 150mb update.

Should I update or just wait for 1.1.2 or whatever the next update is? because I really want to jailbreak this baby.

-Site
With any iPod your trying to restore for the first time, its going to download the firmware files to restore with. Its totally normal.
yensed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:43 PM   #347
SitePlan
macrumors newbie

thanks, i'm ready to break
SitePlan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:02 PM   #348
lakerchick4life
macrumors regular

is it better to go with a week 39 or above, the apple store near my house has week 39s..or should I wait for a 40, etc..Also, for the 16 gig one, is it 16 gig the full 16 gig or is it a little less? I searched it here but couldn't find the info..Also, what should I look for as far as problems..cause I think that I wouldn't even recognize a problem with video/dead pixels unless it was very obvious. Haven't gotten the touch yet, so I want to be sure that I know what to look out for as far as issues.
lakerchick4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:17 PM   #349
wumbo6
macrumors newbie

my week 38 has a really pale tone to it compared to my 37. the usually solid blue and gray of the settings screens are all gray on the week 38. i updated the 37 to 1.1.1 and also the week 38. I also downgraded the week 38 and had the same problem.

wumbo6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch