Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuff99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm still relatively new to the mac world of things so I was wondering how you format a mac?

I've never done it before...I've only formatted a PC before...

any heads up for me on how to do that?

At work we have to sell one of our Macs so we want to format everything off it for security purposes before we sell it off.

Thanks in advance!

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Boot from the original OSX install CD's ( by pressing 'C' during boot-up) and reformat the drive with the disk utility. Then, reinstall OSX, and you're good to go.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
what are you trying to format

Hi everyone,

I'm still relatively new to the mac world of things so I was wondering how you format a mac?

At work we have to sell one of our Macs so we want to format everything off it for security purposes before we sell it off.

Thanks in advance!

In the Mac it is called erase. In the Utilities folder you will find the disk utility, it can help you to format external drives.

bigmac75

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
getting rid of a swap partition

I loaded ubuntu on the windows partition. No problem. I wanted to get rid of it, nor problem removing the home and "/" parttion. Now the swap partition will not delete. Ive tried the install disk and holding down C, that took me to the language part. I went thru the process of deleting partitions but when I get to the part of chosing which partition to use mac hd is there. But the swap from ubuntu isnt there. When I put in the install disk, hold down option the windows patrtition shows up and I get a grb error because nothing is there.
it wants to install with the os x disk but then I get a black screen at the end.
I need some software to go in and and hit all the partitions and kill them all and have a partition free drive. How I didnt ramble on and cufuse the hell outta ya.
:)

nayoohlaing

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
In the Mac it is called erase. In the Utilities folder you will find the disk utility, it can help you to format external drives.

what about to do if i have this kind of msg??? plssss

Secure Erase Free Space failed with the error:

Could not create temp file

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
what about to do if i have this kind of msg??? plssss

Secure Erase Free Space failed with the error:

Could not create temp file

Do you use Disk Utility while booted into regular Mac OS X or while booted from the Restore or Installation DVD?
If it is the former, try the latter.

If that also fails, can you tell us the capacity of the HDD you want to run this action on and how much free space it has and when it was last completely erased and how much of the HDD's capacity used as maximum?

dkwhite58

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Reformatting Mac

I am transferring my daugthers 4 year old white macbook to my son. I would like to reformat and start clean with him but I don't want to lose the Microsoft Word for Mac. Is there there a way to do this and preserve that program?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I am transferring my daugthers 4 year old white macbook to my son. I would like to reformat and start clean with him but I don't want to lose the Microsoft Word for Mac. Is there there a way to do this and preserve that program?

Any reason you can't just re-install MS office afterwards?

If it were me, I would skip the reinstall and just create a new user for your son, and maybe delete your daughter's user account. That way you keep your applications, but he can set it up how he likes.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Any reason you can't just re-install MS office afterwards?

If it were me, I would skip the reinstall and just create a new user for your son, and maybe delete your daughter's user account. That way you keep your applications, but he can set it up how he likes.

I would do this as well. The computer and MS Office will still showed as registered to him and the computer name and printers installed will still be what it was when he had it, but everything else will be customized to her.

mohamedsom

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
unfreeze macbook keyboard

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
i just wanna say thanks because you saved me a lot of trouble time and money,my macbook,s keyboard just stopped functioning after i installed a newer ios version,i tried every thing i thought i should dofor 3 days,i googled for a solution,nothing useful untill i came across this discussion and tried your suggestion and it worked 4me,so thank you so much mate for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.