Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
As the title says Apple took out Time Machine Backups via Airdisk (AEBS).

While I think the way it has been running for some people this makes sense, they should have never marketed that feature. I bet there are around 30-40% of new AEBS owners out there that bought it for exactly that feature tat now are going to be pissed.

I for one hope they fix the problems and bring it back, but only time will tell I guess.

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
:mad: I'm disappointed. This was honestly one of the things I was hoping for most! I'm a lappy user, AirDisk support would've just been ideal. Wahhh

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I bet there are around 30-40% of new AEBS owners out there that bought it for exactly that feature tat now are going to be pissed.

I was almost one of them, but my cars starter motor burning out left me lacking in money, so I held off. Glad I did now, but it will be a real pain to remember to attatch my disk to the lappy regulary!

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Well that's bad news for lots of people - especially mobile users. I'm beginning to wonder if Apple bit of more than they could chew with the AEBS disk feature. Must be harder than they thought

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Actually I'm not surprised. I've heard anecdotal evidence that the read/write speed of Airdisk is rather on the slow side. I wonder if trying to implement Time Machine over AirDisk would just be too slow... or worse, actually slow down your Mac.

I've not bought a new Airport Extreme yet anyway because I'm waiting for them to add AirTunes.

SL

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
I'm probably going to say something stupid, but I need to know :).

Do you mean by Airport Disk that it's a HD connected to the Airport Extreme basestation, and that's it's impossible (for now) to create Time Machine backups to that drive even if you are connected through the 1GBit ethernet?

I have three macs at home and wanted to replace my current router by the Airport Extreme, so I can use gigabit ethernet and have one central HD where all Time Machine backups would go.

As long as that isn't possible I see no point in buying the Airport Extreme basestation.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I'm probably going to say something stupid, but I need to know :).

Do you mean by Airport Disk that it's a HD connected to the Airport Extreme basestation, and that's it's impossible (for now) to create Time Machine backups to that drive even if you are connected through the 1GBit ethernet?

I have three macs at home and wanted to replace my current router by the Airport Extreme, so I can use gigabit ethernet and have one central HD where all Time Machine backups would go.

As long as that isn't possible I see no point in buying the Airport Extreme basestation.

Correct. And that's why I was about to buy an Airport Extreme Basestation too, as we have two laptops and an iMac, and backing up the portables to a plug-in external HDD is going to be TEDIOUS.

Dropped a big one there Apple!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Dropped a big one there Apple!

For now, at least.

I have this feeling that Time Machine will at some point (a year?) be revolutionary and one of those "every one needs it" programs that Microsoft will integrate into the next version of windows.

But, in the meantime it's going to take some work to work out kinks and get it running smoothly in a way that's convenient for all users.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I've found using the airport disk to be very slow even when at home and away from home. Hopefully they will fix this in the future...

Nuc

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah this does really suck, as it's ideal for laptop users. It has to be a performance issue, because by all accounts it was working in previous developer betas. Knowing Steve, if it isn't fast enough or cool enough, it ain't shipping.

They must add this later tough. Too many people were banking on it for TM use for them to not. I expect it in 10.5.1.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Wow, this is a big blow. I bought the AEBS just for this reason, not sure what we are going to do now. I can understand it taking a long time to update the first time, but after that, it should be invisible, I don't think most people are making huge changes per hour. This is a real shame.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Wow, this is a big blow. I bought the AEBS just for this reason, not sure what we are going to do now. I can understand it taking a long time to update the first time, but after that, it should be invisible, I don't think most people are making huge changes per hour. This is a real shame.

Yeah. It'll be back, I'm sure. Probably soon.

DylanG

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
It's not just Airport disks. Time Machine can't backup to any network drives. This worked fine in earlier betas and is a huge disappointment for me.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
It's not just Airport disks. Time Machine can't backup to any network drives. This worked fine in earlier betas and is a huge disappointment for me.

Not entirely true. It can backup to network drives, but they have to be running off of a Leopard-based system.

Apple.com said:
Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices.

DylanG

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Not entirely true. It can backup to network drives, but they have to be running off of a Leopard-based system.

Sorry, my mistake. The beta could back up to a Tiger share and I assumed support for network drives had been removed altogether when I couldn't do that now.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
Sorry, my mistake. The beta could back up to a Tiger share and I assumed support for network drives had been removed altogether when I couldn't do that now.

Easy mistake to make. I'm sure for those people out there who have Leopard right now, not many of them have access to another computer running Leopard to try this out, and thus think it doesn't work at all. Quite understandable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.