Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This is a weird choice and I hope it is something that can easily fixed in a future firmware update for AEBS.

Airport Disk seems increasingly neutered. It can't work with TM and it can't serve :apple:TV, even though there's not technological reason for it...

B

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Firmware 7.2.1 blows big chunks. Apple better fix it quick (along with my freezing iMacs) or their "it just works" will bite them back.

That is one major reason I think they held back. The firmware does need some major work and I guess just didn't have the time to give it the focus it needs.

I expect the next update will/should fix some of the problems with the Airdisk and then we will see it as an option for Time Machine.

With 7.2.1 it just isn't stable enough IMO.

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
On topic, I think the real issue is the AEBS. I've read constant problems, regular resets, many using it as a bridge instead of a router since it doesn't support nearly as many router features as say a DLink 655 or DGL-4300 gaming router.

Plus most of what I've read the router has to reboot every couple of days, which would really be a bad interruption on your Time Machine backup. Data loss is likely the reason, and dropping the feature versus making it available and having it fail miserably is probably the main reason.

The AEBS is not stable, and I don't think Apple wanted a rush of people buying it just for the wireless Time Machine feature only to have it riddled with problems.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
The AEBS is not stable, and I don't think Apple wanted a rush of people buying it just for the wireless Time Machine feature only to have it riddled with problems.

If that's the case, then they really dropped the ball. How many people saw the "Effortless Meets Wireless" blurb on the Time Machine page? How long did they wait to take that down? It seems, from reading these forums, that a lot of people have gone out and bought AEBS' just for Time Machine already, and now they're all pissed.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Apple's AirPort group needs to be overhauled. My AirPort Extreme Base Station and AirPort Express both worked fine up to firmware v. 5.5.1 (Extreme) and v.6.1.1 (Express). Apple then released a new firmware update that broke PPoE with certain DSL carriers (mainly SBC) on both devices.

I spent months working with an Apple engineer to sort out the problem sending back logs of data to him personally. He would e-mail me periodically with updates, but he finally left Apple. They never did fix the problem. There is a huge list of AirPort owners that had to revert the older firmwares in order to just connect to the Internet.

I shouldn't have, but I did, purchase an AirPort Extreme 802.11n Base Station (Gigabit). It actually does connect (same ISP as before), but I've had problems with it stalling, dropping connections and AirPort Disk is completely unstable. It was purchased just to use with Time Machine. Afterall, Steve Jobs specifically mentioned wireless backups with AirPort base stations at his WWDC keynote.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I am sure that the AEBS is front and centre as to why TM won't do network backups but could it be something in TM? Why would they pull ALL network-based solutions save for those using Leopard?

I shouldn't have, but I did, purchase an AirPort Extreme 802.11n Base Station (Gigabit). It actually does connect (same ISP as before), but I've had problems with it stalling, dropping connections and AirPort Disk is completely unstable. It was purchased just to use with Time Machine. Afterall, Steve Jobs specifically mentioned wireless backups with AirPort base stations at his WWDC keynote.

Ditto.:mad:

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
I purchased it (and I knew better) just to use with Time Machine. Afterall, Steve Jobs specifically mentioned wireless backups with the 802.11n base station at his WWDC keynote.

There was also an entire paragraph on it on the Leopard website, as recently as last week. Of course there is that "all features listed above are subject to change or removal" caveat. I'm sure they'll put it back in at some point. Hopefully soon, because I hate wires.

DoreanGrae

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
New York, NY
I am sure that the AEBS is front and centre as to why TM won't do network backups but could it be something in TM? Why would they pull ALL network-based solutions save for those using Leopard?

Ditto.:mad:

They didn't pull all networked-based TM solutions. Just most. :)

Apple.com said:
Pick a disk. Any disk.
You can designate just about any HFS+ formatted FireWire or USB drive connected to a Mac as a Time Machine backup drive. Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's sad to see this feature isn't here. It'd be a perfect method of using Time Machine.

I can attest to terrible firmware as well. Apple's routers are still flaky enough that I don't trust them compared to other brands.

My $10 Belkin only goes down when the power does. I can't seem to kill it otherwise.

Like I said, ALL network save for those using Leopard. Xsan...well..OK :rolleyes:
I got me one of 'dem in my closet.

Yeah right, it looks like Apple is at least supporting their own enterprise hardware for once.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I'm almost thinking of using Leopard Server on my Mac mini just to be able to use TM, although it might actually be useful for other things in the long run, things I'm yet to figure out though.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Macworld's Rob Griffiths is on top of it, but I e-mailed David Pogue to see what he can find out.

If it's like any other product launch, Macworld will get to interview Phil Schiller. Maybe he will make a public statement about the missing feature.

A@ron

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Iowa
TM working with airport disk in GM

Well thank me later :) I got it working fellas. It was there in front of our faces with the exception of doing a chown and chmod.

Someone else please confirm I will post steps.
1) disconnect airport disk and plug into computer as a USB drive directly.
2) Set up time machine to use this volume.
3) In terminal cd to volume "cd /Volume/HDD"
4) In terminal "touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported" this will create an invisible file.
5) In terminal "sudo chown root:admin .com.apple.timemachine.supported"
6) In terminal "sudo chmod 1775 .com.apple.timemachine.supported"
7) In terminal "ls -l -a" the .com.apple.timemachine.supported file should be -rwxrwxr-t
8) eject disk, unplug from mac, plug into Airport.
9) mount at mac using connect to server in finder (command k) and afp://airportname.local./HDname
10) see if time machine now sees the drive and tries to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.