Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I'm new to Apple computers and OSX. I'm just now setting up my Mac Mail is Tiger (1.4.10). I want to disable the preview pane but I can't find out how. Until I get my spam filtering working I'd rather not have to 'preview' the spam when I click the email to mark it junk, as I fully believe this is one of the ways the spammers gauge what gets read (hidden html in the email giving response back to a spam server). In fact, I think that it was proven at some point a few years back that some spammers do this.

Yes, I know I can turn off loading html or loading images, but I'd rather just turn off the preview pane.

Thanks.
:D

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
In the bar between the mail list and the preview pane, there is a dot. Click and drag it all the way down. When you get close to the bottom, it will "jump" the rest of the way, indicating it is disabled.

Picture 8.png

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
The bar between the mail list and the preview pane, there is a dot. Click and drag it all the way down.

Doesn't that just shrink the preview pane? I want it disabled so emails don't load until I double click them.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Doesn't that just shrink the preview pane? I want it disabled so emails don't load until I double click them.

Once it jumps the rest of the way, it is no longer shrunk but disabled. You'll notice that after a certain point, you can't make it any smaller it just jumps down.

Try it, then click on one of the emails you know has images or what not in it. Then drag the pane back up into view. You'll see that it takes a few moments to load the content of your email.

I believe this is how it works, anyway.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Once it jumps the rest of the way, it is no longer shrunk but disabled. You'll notice that after a certain point, you can't make it any smaller it just jumps down.

Try it, then click on one of the emails you know has images or what not in it. Then drag the pane back up into view. You'll see that it takes a few moments to load the content of your email.

I believe this is how it works, anyway.

Cool! Thanks :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Also, if you prefer to display the plain text version (if there is one) of the email instead of the HTML version, you can use this tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.